RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

KirbyC

Feb 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4057 views)
Shortcut

PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.peetshoedryer.com/

I have the standard model. It dries shoes by "convection," and claims that it's safe for all materials:

In reply to:
The PEETŪ Dryer is a clever device designed to effectively remove wet, sweat and odor from footwear and gear, without deteriorating materials and without using an undue amount of energy. PEET Dryers are safe for use on footwear and gear made from most any materials: leather, canvas, rubber, vinyl, cloth, plastic and all modern fabrics.

Do you guys and girls think that climbing shoe rubber will be ok with this kind of thing? I need some coddling and reassurance that I won't ruin my new 140 dollar shoes. Any thoughts?

gmggg

Feb 19, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KirbyC] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

KirbyC wrote:

I have the standard model. It dries shoes by "convection," and claims that it's safe for all materials:

In reply to:
The PEETŪ Dryer is a clever device designed to effectively remove wet, sweat and odor from footwear and gear, without deteriorating materials and without using an undue amount of energy. PEET Dryers are safe for use on footwear and gear made from most any materials: leather, canvas, rubber, vinyl, cloth, plastic and all modern fabrics.

Do you guys and girls think that climbing shoe rubber will be ok with this kind of thing? I need some coddling and reassurance that I won't ruin my new 140 dollar shoes. Any thoughts?

Should be fine. You would melt the glue before the rubber and this thing isn't going to get anywhere near those temps. However, I would suggest you wear your shoe funk as a badge of honor. That funky odor is more likely to get you laid than this gadget is to kill the smell. I am 100% sure that it will dry your shoes though.

KirbyC

Feb 19, 2010, 4:12 AM
Post #3 of 14 (4017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. I'm more concerned about wetness/freezing coldness than the smell. Thanks.

gmggg

Feb 19, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, you are going to need a long extension cord to help you with coldness at the crag thoughTongue

dudemanbu

Feb 19, 2010, 3:41 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KirbyC wrote:

In reply to:

I can't believe you bought that. A hair dryer works just as well and costs 1/10 as much.

qtm

Feb 19, 2010, 4:05 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
KirbyC wrote:

In reply to:

I can't believe you bought that. A hair dryer works just as well and costs 1/10 as much.

Hair dryers cost $3?

I've seen them as low as $20. I got one as a gift, was planning on using it for my climbing shoes. But instead found shoes on clearance and bought several pairs, now I rotate through them so they dry out on their own and the dryer is still sitting in the box.

dudemanbu

Feb 19, 2010, 4:07 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cambridge-massachusetts.olx.com/...-5-each-iid-34611801

5 bucks for a hair dryer.

That's the first thing that popped up on google for my area. But, if it was a gift, i see where you're coming from. It will definitely be safe for your shoes.

(This post was edited by dudemanbu on Feb 19, 2010, 4:08 PM)

qtm

Feb 19, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
http://cambridge-massachusetts.olx.com/...-5-each-iid-34611801

5 bucks for a hair dryer.

That's the first thing that popped up on google for my area. But, if it was a gift, i see where you're coming from. It will definitely be safe for your shoes.

LoL... OK, $5 is pretty cheap. Throw in $10 PVC pipes and you can dry both shoes at once.

Edited to add: On low or no heat, you really just need the air circulating through the shoes. I don't think a little heat will be a problem, but you probably shouldn't use it on HOT.

(This post was edited by qtm on Feb 19, 2010, 4:31 PM)

KirbyC

Feb 19, 2010, 5:06 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a gift from my folks.

There's not any setting on it--you just plug it in and it starts up.

It's different than a hair dryer, even a hair dryer monstrosity with pvc pipes that you build yourself, because it's meant to be plugged in and left overnight with your shoes on it, drying them slowly with just a little heat and probably a lot less electricity.

Anyway... thanks for the reassurance, folks.

(This post was edited by KirbyC on Feb 19, 2010, 5:21 PM)

bill413

Feb 19, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KirbyC wrote:

It's different than a hair dryer, even a hair dryer monstrosity with pvc pipes that you build yourself, because it's meant to be plugged in and left overnight with your shoes on it, drying them slowly with just a little heat and probably a lot less electricity.

Yep - look at the wattage ratings on them. Cheaper to run than the hair dryer (which could well delaminate the soles).

qtm

Feb 19, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
KirbyC wrote:

Yep - look at the wattage ratings on them. Cheaper to run than the hair dryer (which could well delaminate the soles).

Well, that really depends on how long you have to run the hair dryer. Sure, they can be 2000 watts, but that's high and hot. If you set it cool and low, it's much less.

If you get home at 9p, put the shoes on the drier, and then sometime after breakfast turn it off, that could be 450 watts. 30 minutes with the hair drier could be as little as 300 watts. I would think that 30 minutes on low would dry the shoes... but I don't know that it won't damage them.

I suppose it's easy enough to test it with some old shoes, I have plenty of them around. I guess I could also test the shoe drier as well, but I don't know where it is.

devildog0801

Feb 20, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps I don't understand the intricacies of climbing shoes but... what's wrong with chucking them in the dryer like every other pair of shoes?

Adk

Feb 21, 2010, 8:39 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devildog0801] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used a Peets boot dryer for about 10 year now.
It works wonders. You can go from a wet pair of boots to dry in about 4 hours with no damaging affects to your shoes, boots or whatever you put on it.

A hair dryer is just retarded. It's not cold enough. It blows too much air. Talk about noise? You can't even hear a Peets Boot dryer and these babies only use 36 watts.
If you are a parent and have children that play in the snow rain puddles or like to creek walk this baby will get your kids back out fast.

Oh, they make a propane powered model as well for those of you that don't have an extension cord that will make it to your local crag.Wink
They are great for us fishermen too!

mrberry

Feb 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devildog0801] PEET Shoe Dryers on rock shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Putting shoes in the dryer or using a hair dryer puts too much stress on the material. That's how you end up with cracked soles, split laces, de-glueing, etc. The Peet dryer uses passive convective heat to dry over time, which is way better for the materials.

I think there's something about the humidity being maintained with the Peet too that helps prevent cracking.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook