RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

mrtristan

Mar 23, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #1 of 4 (6181 views)
Shortcut

Best slackline tightening system
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems like new devices keep popping up, so I figured it would be worth it to ask again.

I've been slacklining for several years now. At first I just used the carabiner methord, then I got a big ol' ratchet, and then I bought one of the Slackline Express releasable hitch things for longer lines for when the spool on the ratchet fills up. This system has worked fine for me for 5 or 6 years now.

Well, I'm tired of the ratchet. I want something new. What is THE device to get? I want something that is fast and easy for setting up long-ish (~100 foot) lines. Is there any device that is strong enough to be used in-line for a highline (meaning that it doesn't have to be removed?). If not, a device that meets the other criteria is fine.

Thanks guys!

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 25, 2010, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 4 (6089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] Best slackline tightening system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you've stuck with the sport for so long.

A couple options come to mind:

A Griphoist: Dear got their strong, but pricey and damn bulky depending on model. I used to use one on the farm to lift boulders out of the ground. Scary with the cable slips though, could easily maim someone.

A rather large amount of pulleys: Personally, I'd suggest rescue grade ones for inline systems. Bulky and expensive, but kind of fun to play with. The bigger the sheaves the less friction and more efficency (usually).

As a moderate step up, a Come Along can work, but honestly I don't recommend leaving them in the system. I've used them on 200ft lines, but I usually had to reset them a couple times to get the line tight and well, only the really expensive ones release safely in my opinion. I've broke teeth off entry level ones at less than 1/4 their rated load. They are really cost effective though, 30-100 bucks for a self contained system.

As a note of preference, I don't like having ANY tensioning system in a highline that has a easy method of releasing the line. It temps Murphy's law. Best to hard set IMO.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Mar 25, 2010, 2:23 AM)

petsfed

Mar 25, 2010, 2:54 AM
Post #3 of 4 (6075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Best slackline tightening system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklinejoe wrote:
As a note of preference, I don't like having ANY tensioning system in a highline that has a easy method of releasing the line. It temps Murphy's law. Best to hard set IMO.

Anything longer than 30 feet and I try to minimize the failure points no matter how far off the ground, but that could just be me.

I think the biggest unknown for choosing a good system is how many people you'll have on hand to help get it tight. If you can just brute-force it, you can get a pretty tight line without much effort. On the other hand, if you're working alone, a more complicated system can be worthwhile. My many-pulley system can get a 100 foot line up all by my lonesome, but it takes about half an hour. With 4-6 people pulling, its under 10 minutes.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Mar 25, 2010, 3:12 AM)

chrismcnamara

Aug 18, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Best slackline tightening system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damian Cooksey just put about 10 slackline systems head to head in tests in this slackline review

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Slackline-Reviews

Damian has walked more than his share of 500+ foot lines and broken more than a few in the process... so he knows about tightening systems.

He found the Balance Community Titen Series was the best. The version he tested cost $600+ but if swap out some of the components with gear you already have (like a GriGri) you can get the price down

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook