Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite Valley in October - Questions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

agdavis

Mar 31, 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite Valley in October - Questions  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm heading to the Valley for this first time, this coming October.

Few questions...

1) Are the grades sandbagged or no? Would you compare the grading similar to that of Joshua Tree?

2) What are some good areas that have a collection of routes under 5.9, that have short approaches. Either single-pitch or multi-pitch is fine. My fiancee has a bad knee so long, uphill marches are a problem.

3) If we book a camp site online (apparently we can book them 6 months out?), are there particular campgrounds we should look for first that has routes nearby, as above described?

4) Is Toulumne a good choice for October, or will it be too cold?

Thanks!

i_h8_choss

Mar 31, 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] Yosemite Valley in October - Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1.) it's oldschool ratings. the climbing is tough. 5.9 can be harder in Yose most times imo.

2.) Swan Slabs, 5 Open Books, Church Bowl, Knob Hill in the Valley. Lembert Dome in Tuolumne.

3.) In the Valley, all the Pines CG's (Up,Low,Middle) are all next to each other in the eastern end of the Valley near Curry Village.
Tuolumne Meadows CG is 5-15 mins. from most routes.

4.) Tuolumne is a great choice for October imo. Could be cold, wet, or perfect!

Have fun!

shimanilami

Mar 31, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] Yosemite Valley in October - Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1) I wouldn't say that Yosemite grades are sandbagged. It is a unique style of climbing, however, that may feel sandbagged to the inexperienced climber. If you've spent a lot of time at J-Tree, you should be OK, although the polish may throw you a bit.

2) Lots of places. Check out the Manure Pile, Church Bowl area, Glacier Point. And get a book.

3) Camp 4 will be crowded in October. I'd suggest the Upper Pines campground. Try to get a site that is in one of the "no RV's" areas if you want to avoid being woken up by generators at 6AM.

4) Tuolemne Meadows will be cold for camping, but it might be great for climbing. I'd suggest playing it by ear. If you've got some warm days, I'd say it's worth the drive.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Mar 31, 2010, 9:15 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook