Forums: Climbing Information: General:
The expedition price explosion. You know...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Apr 28, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 32 (7923 views)
Shortcut

The expedition price explosion. You know...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The part when you're planning and say to yourself "well, shit! this isn't so bad! I can scrape this much together in no tim-FUCK I FORGOT TRANSPORT!!!!!" and the price doubles?
Aw damn - Easyjet does not fly Glasgow to Anchorage.
Hmmmmmmmmm

edge

Apr 28, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #2 of 32 (7904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always attempt the NW Face on Devil's Thumb. Then you wouldn't need return airfare...

Seriously, I think all flights into Alaska are through Seattle, and then via Alaska Air. What is your ultimate destination after Anchorage?

Devils Thumb NW Face. As yet, unclimbed.

(This post was edited by edge on Apr 28, 2010, 5:59 PM)

kachoong

Apr 28, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #3 of 32 (7876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to think about the volcano explosion first... don't you have to fly past that to get to Alaska?

edge

Apr 28, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #4 of 32 (7868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
You may want to think about the volcano explosion first... don't you have to fly past that to get to Alaska?

Maybe he can bike across the floating ash.

And Canada.

majid_sabet

Apr 28, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #5 of 32 (7866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
The part when you're planning and say to yourself "well, shit! this isn't so bad! I can scrape this much together in no tim-FUCK I FORGOT TRANSPORT!!!!!" and the price doubles?
Aw damn - Easyjet does not fly Glasgow to Anchorage.
Hmmmmmmmmm

if you are going with Johhny, you better add another 3x for SAR to the cost of getting you back home . You know how Johnny manage his belay with gri gri.

pendereki

Apr 28, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #6 of 32 (7805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Edge, why has Devil's Thumb not been climbed? It look beautiful!

edge

Apr 28, 2010, 7:27 PM
Post #7 of 32 (7800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:
Edge, why has Devil's Thumb not been climbed? It look beautiful!

Combination of chossy rock and high objective danger from the hanging snowfields. That part of SE Alaska gets heavy precipitation, and avalanches rake the face on a regular basis.

It has been attempted many times, and only a few make it back down alive to tell the tale.

Of course the opposite side of the peak is listed in Classic Climbs in North America.

hugepedro

Apr 28, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #8 of 32 (7798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
You could always attempt the NW Face on Devil's Thumb. Then you wouldn't need return airfare...

Seriously, I think all flights into Alaska are through Seattle, and then via Alaska Air. What is your ultimate destination after Anchorage?

[image]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UoHpTkP-3ec/SfaasPOwBrI/AAAAAAAAPto/hmWJlaz_CEE/S5001698.JPG[/image]

[image]http://i.pbase.com/g3/20/434420/2/111975313.MQsWdciE.jpg[/image]

I've red tagged it. So I'd appreciate if you guys would stay off it for a while and give me some time to work it. I'll let you know when I'm done.

sungam

Apr 28, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #9 of 32 (7733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Wasn't going to be going anywhere till July. The end location was going to be a certain well-known national park and a hill with an identity crisis. As is the exped is scrapped due to lack of funding. It was still very much in it's infancy anyways.
We have a new, closer, cheaper target. Actually, since they are closer and cheaper we have several of them, TBH I don't know why we didn't think of this first, it's just that magic number that drew us over, I guess.

onarunning

Apr 28, 2010, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 32 (7687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
edge wrote:

[image]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UoHpTkP-3ec/SfaasPOwBrI/AAAAAAAAPto/hmWJlaz_CEE/S5001698.JPG[/image]

I've red tagged it. So I'd appreciate if you guys would stay off it for a while and give me some time to work it. I'll let you know when I'm done.

Sorry, Chris Sharma already reserved it for the next Dosage movie.

hugepedro

Apr 28, 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #11 of 32 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onarunning] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onarunning wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
edge wrote:

Sorry, Chris Sharma already reserved it for the next Dosage movie.

Well I'll defer to him, as long as he gets my draws back to me.

I actually gew up about 80 miles from the Thumb. Had I known it was going to be considered such a juicy prize today I woulda ticked it off along with the dozens of other FA's I got up there before the age of 16.

johnwesely

Apr 28, 2010, 9:41 PM
Post #12 of 32 (7676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Wasn't going to be going anywhere till July. The end location was going to be a certain well-known national park and a hill with an identity crisis. As is the exped is scrapped due to lack of funding. It was still very much in it's infancy anyways.
We have a new, closer, cheaper target. Actually, since they are closer and cheaper we have several of them, TBH I don't know why we didn't think of this first, it's just that magic number that drew us over, I guess.

What are you going to do now?

sungam

Apr 28, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #13 of 32 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:

We'll see. We have limited funds, and only a month. And we want to be as far away from other people as possible. The options are still nearly limitless, though.

johnwesely

Apr 28, 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #14 of 32 (7620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:

We'll see. We have limited funds, and only a month. And we want to be as far away from other people as possible. The options are still nearly limitless, though.

[ignorance] How far can you get away from people in Europe? [/ignorance]

kachoong

Apr 29, 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #15 of 32 (7544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Australia, mate! They themselves have done it before.

iron106

Apr 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #16 of 32 (7533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if anyone has shipped themselves in a box, freight, and made it alive that far. Probably not the best idea to save on transportation.

johnwesely

Apr 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #17 of 32 (7523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
I wonder if anyone has shipped themselves in a box, freight, and made it alive that far. Probably not the best idea to save on transportation.

If they put you on a plain you would die for sure because the cargo hold is not pressurized.

Gmburns2000

Apr 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #18 of 32 (7512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:

He figured Ibiza would be a tougher challenge.

iron106

Apr 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #19 of 32 (7510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I guess you either need a pressurized shipping box or go with ground.

sungam

Apr 29, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #20 of 32 (7453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:

There are ways, dude. Europe is bigger then just Chamonix and the Dolomites. Though I'm hoping to go to the Dolomites as well this summer...

lrossi

Apr 29, 2010, 4:55 PM
Post #21 of 32 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
If they put you on a plain you would die for sure because the cargo hold is not pressurized.

This is a myth - pets fly all the time in the cargo hold and survive.

I think there's more legroom down there too.

johnwesely

Apr 29, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #22 of 32 (7397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lrossi] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Some might be pressurized, but a guy died a month or two ago from stowing in the cargo hold. The article that reported it, said that a bunch of people have been doing it lately.

rainman0915

Apr 29, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #23 of 32 (7373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
lrossi wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Some might be pressurized, but a guy died a month or two ago from stowing in the cargo hold. The article that reported it, said that a bunch of people have been doing it lately.

Just bring some oxygen, then you can tick it as an 8,000 meter peak Cool

hugepedro

Apr 29, 2010, 5:47 PM
Post #24 of 32 (7367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
lrossi wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

The guy probably died for other reasons. They are pressurized, the outer skin is the pressure skin. Next time your flying watch them load baggage on a plane at the gate. The cargo doors have the same pressures seals as the passenger cabin doors. Years ago, DC-10s had a fault in the cargo door lock that caused one of them to blow off at altitude and depressurize the plane.

Also, it it weren't pressurized, your Axe hair gel and your tube of KY Warming Sensations jelly would come back spewed all over the inside of your luggage. How you gonna get the honeys when that happens?

Unless, a plane was built without a pressurized hold (I think maybe the Russian AN-12 is like that), but I can't imagine any such planes being in the fleets of the commercial carriers.

I might try this riding in the hold business though. I'm sure I could find better booze down there than they serve in the cabin. And free.

johnwesely

Apr 29, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #25 of 32 (7345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] The expedition price explosion. You know... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
lrossi wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

The guy probably died for other reasons. They are pressurized, the outer skin is the pressure skin. Next time your flying watch them load baggage on a plane at the gate. The cargo doors have the same pressures seals as the passenger cabin doors. Years ago, DC-10s had a fault in the cargo door lock that caused one of them to blow off at altitude and depressurize the plane.

Also, it it weren't pressurized, your Axe hair gel and your tube of KY Warming Sensations jelly would come back spewed all over the inside of your luggage. How you gonna get the honeys when that happens?

Unless, a plane was built without a pressurized hold (I think maybe the Russian AN-12 is like that), but I can't imagine any such planes being in the fleets of the commercial carriers.

I might try this riding in the hold business though. I'm sure I could find better booze down there than they serve in the cabin. And free.

It might have been in a third world country. I don't really remember.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook