RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

tmplcrg

May 19, 2010, 1:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Belgium
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm moving to Brussels in a few months, and I'm trying to get some information about climbing and the community in Belgium. I've been reading that there is quite a lot of good climbing there. Some areas are administered by the Belgian Alpine Club (e.g. Freyr). What is the best way to get involved? Through climbing gyms? Independently (is that even recommended)? Anyone know of a good gym in Brussels?

Also, how often to you head off to the Alps for long routes or mountaineering-type trips? (How feasible is it to do over, say, a weekend?) Do most people share a car and drive, or can you get to all the areas with trains and buses?

Thanks for any info!

uasunflower

May 19, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tmplcrg] Climbing in Belgium [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I used to live in Belgium, so the short answer is yes, there is some climbing (especially as compared to the near-by very flat Netherlands and North of France). However, don't keep too many illusions as the problem usually is the weather, there is a reason why that country is so green.

Gyms - there are loads. My favorite in Brussels was Stone Age - http://www.stone-age.be/, Terre Neuve is one of the oldest in the city center itself (http://www.terresneuves.be/). You can start there to find partners.

For the crags, from what I hear the regulations are getting more stringent, best deal is to become member of the Belgian Alpine Club, with their card you can climb anywhere, but ask the locals...

Long routes in the Alps - you have to look for the more involved climbers, I had a couple of friends we used to drive to the Alps twice a month at some point for w-ends, but it is very tiring and pretty unsustainable for the long run. Best time for Chamonix - around 6 hours, but you have to drive like crazy and pay a lot for the French autopistas (cheaper but longer by Switzerland).

Closer options are Fontainebleau for bouldering, and Vosges for more climbing on sandstone in France or Germany (Pfalz).

Finally, my conclusion was to move to Barcelona, where climbing options are infinite. But don't get discouraged, and good luck!

Feel free to email me for more info at snihur at gmail.com as i don't check this site too often of late.

cheers,
j.
In reply to:

nessie

Jul 28, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tmplcrg] Climbing in Belgium [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hiya!
I just came across your post. There are plenty of indoor halls in belgium. Outdoor climbing can be done in the south of belgium. All the necessary information can be found on belclimb. To be allowed onto the rocks in belgium you need to be member (ideally) of either the club alpine belge or the klim en bergsportfederatie(kbf). Both have sites which will help you to sort out your membership and both have cheap options for insurance which will cover you if you were to get hurt whilst climbing! Have a great stay, don't be discouraged by the occasional spell of rain cause there are many days when the sun shines and you can hit the rocks!

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook