Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

yokese

May 22, 2010, 9:45 AM
Post #26 of 190 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Being a young talented climber with sponsors must have it's ups and downs. The downside would be these film crews follow you around, which in this case, have no business shooting something like this.

First: I have no idea whether they place one bolt, 60 or 600. I have no reason for distrusting Rolando Garibotti, though. RedBull and D. Lama announced the expedition to try the FFA of The compressor route. Time has past and they haven't pronounced about what happened there.

That said, I'll add that you have a peculiar way of understanding sponsored expeditions. You made it sound almost like Lama and Steuerer had nothing to do with the film crew. Those guys weren't papparazzi following a celeb. They were all part of the same sponsored expedition with the same goals.
I'll speculate that if the film crew wasn't there, neither would be Lama and Steuerer because RedBull wouldn't have paid for it.
I think Rolo is not blaming (much less "bashing") Lama himself for placing the bolts. He is blaming the whole expedition, of which Lama was the star of the show.
An explanation from RedBull on its website wouldn't be asking too much, in my opinion. If they had succeeded, I'm sure the video of the ascent would be already highly publicized (probably not the bolts, though).
I wonder what the reaction in these forums would be if someone placed bolts on any established route in Yosemite in order to film a first free ascent...

i_h8_choss

May 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #27 of 190 (5687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
yanqui wrote:
j_ung wrote:
yanqui wrote:
j_ung wrote:
This seems like an awful lot of blame and hoopla for an Internet rumor. Is any of this substantiated?

It's not an internet rumor. Yokese referenced Rolo's opinion piece in Desnivel (in Spanish) and sbaclimber referenced Rolo's conversation with (Jim) Donini on supertopo.

Do you need to look up the definition of "rumor?" Tongue

I'm not calling him a liar or anything stupid like that. I'm just saying I know how rumors spread, and that climbers are certainly not immune to it. People are sparing no time piling onto a 19-year old kid with, for the vast majority of them -- maybe all of them -- zero first-hand information. Perhaps it's all true. Perhaps none of it is. Perhaps, as is most often the case, the truth is someplace in the middle. Regardless, this looks an awful lot like a lynch mob to me, with a boy's reputation in the noose. All the old cliches are marching about with torches -- the decadence of younger climbers, glory whoring to sponsors, the multi-national conglomerate rape of nature, blah, blah, blah.

I'd love to see a little actual evidence of this alleged travesty. Until then, that's all it is to me -- alleged. I have nothing more to say on the topic.

Maybe you'll forgive the glee I show for playing the role of the outraged local ... but hey, I am the outraged local.
j-ung you've always been a fairly civil poster and I can appreciate that. But if you're questioning Rolo's knowledge about goes on in the peaks around El Chalten, you're way out of you're league.

well dood....

I live in California and I climb in Yosemite. I have not climbed the Capitan, therefore I do not comment on El Capitan.

Have you climbed or even attempted Cerro Torre? Cause if you have then you have a say in the matter. If you haven't, your just trying to stir shit up.

And your threats really scare me. I'm never going back to PatagoniaFrown

Of course I´m "stirring up the shit". And who are you to tell me I can't have an opinion? WTF?

Well your opinion is wrong.
If you would have stated the facts in your OP, such as....
-an Austrian film crew left hundreds of meters of fixed ropes and around 60 bolts on Cerro Torre.
-The film crew was there to shoot a free attempt of the Compresor Route by Lama and _____.
-The weather turned bad, the expedition came to a close and the film crew left that shit on the mountain.
Then I would have said 'that sucks, what a bunch of bitches this film crew is. They should go back down there today and clean that shit up'.

But you didn't. IMHO, you just chose a poor way to word the OP. That's all.

And major props go out to the local Argentinian climbers who cleaned that shit up. Those guys deserve an award, seriously.

Cerro Torre is a magnificent mountain. I spent a little less than a month in Los Glaciers bagging peaks, taking photographs and getting hammered by intense wind and storms. It f*#king sucks that the film crew was incompitent and disrespectful. To me it sounds like that they didn't have the balls to be there, and had to drill extra bolts and put up fixed lines in order to feel safer.

I speculate that if the film crew was not there, that shit would not have been left or even put up in the first place. I highly doubt that any of those bolts were drilled by Lama and his partner. I highly doubt that the fixed lines were put up by Lama and his partner.

Just put the blame where blame is needed......is all I'm saying. You want to stir up some shit on the net, well there you go. Keep stirring.

If this was Tommy Caldwell on El Cap freeing a route, and Bip Up Productions decided to do the same thing, would anybody really be blaming Caldwell? I highly doubt it.

Carry On.

brunoschull

May 28, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #28 of 190 (5596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to resume this thread because I do not think it is getting the attention it deserves. I have not seen this issue mentioned in the mainstream climbing press in the US, and I hope that is only because editors are waiting for the story to develop.

Rolando Garbibotti's letter deserves to be widely translated and published. I do not want to paraphrase the article, but I deeply respect his clarity of expression, knowledge of history, sensitivity to cultural differences, and above all his ethics and climbing style.

What occurred in Patagonia was inexcusable. The climbers involved, the film crew, and the sponsors, are all responsible. However, the ultimate blame falls on the climbers. After all, it was their project. Nobody forced them to undertake the climb in the style they choose, including the accompanying film crew.

There are deep-seated cultural issues involved. The Austrian team demonstrated a great disregard for the local culture, the national park, and the mountains. It is hard to believe that they would do the same in Europe or the US.

Imagine what would happen if some famous US climbers (Caldwell, Potter, Sharma, House, whoever) attempted a project on El Cap in Yosemite, and in the process an supporting film crew drilled sixty bolts into the granite beside a classic free route. What occurred in Patagonia was equivalent.

I Hope the Argentinian climbing community demands a response from their counterparts in Austria, as well as all parties involved. And I hope that the individuals, particularly the climbers, make every effort to remedy the situation, starting with a clear explanation of their actions, and a promise to assist with whatever solution the Argentinian climbers judge appropriate.

rangerrob

May 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #29 of 190 (5561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brunoschull] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

The moment a climber becomes sponsored, they lose the true meaning of being a climber...at least in my book. This is a prime example of that.

RR

Lamberto

Jun 1, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #30 of 190 (5417 views)
Shortcut

Re: What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi RC.com folks. We've posted a story about this situation at Alpinist.com:

http://www.alpinist.com/...ama-compressor-bolts

Erik Lambert
Online Editor, Alpinist.com

(This post was edited by Lamberto on Jun 1, 2010, 7:57 PM)

glahhg

Jun 1, 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #31 of 190 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
The moment a climber becomes sponsored, they lose the true meaning of being a climber...at least in my book. This is a prime example of that.

RR

That's a pretty ignorant statement. How many big badass routes around the world you think would get done without any kind of sponsorship?

dynosore

Jun 1, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #32 of 190 (5374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lamberto] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

If this is true it's messed up beyond words. The climber is absolutely responsible for this, if he wasn't so intent of self promotion and documenting his "great style" none of this would have happened. Oh the irony of placing 60 bolts to film a climb done in....better style? Wow.

This is why I hate the superstar climber trend. Swoops in with an entourage, leaves a huge mess on the mountain, and leaves it for someone else to clean up. Seems too Hollywoodish to me. Whatever happened to 2 guys, a pack, a rope, and a mountain Frown

dynosore

Jun 1, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #33 of 190 (5371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glahhg] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

glahhg wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

That's a pretty ignorant statement. How many big badass routes around the world you think would get done without any kind of sponsorship?

How did climbers ever do anything before sponsors, amazing isn't it? Read "Escape from Lucania" sometime.....

(This post was edited by dynosore on Jun 1, 2010, 8:41 PM)

glahhg

Jun 1, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #34 of 190 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
glahhg wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

How did climbers ever do anything before sponsors, amazing isn't it? Read "Escape from Lucania" sometime.....

I didn't say they didn't.

i_h8_choss

Jun 1, 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #35 of 190 (5291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
If this is true it's messed up beyond words.

It depends on what you read and how you interpret it, but some of it is true. It's o.k. to discuss it with words IMO.

In reply to:
The climber is absolutely responsible for this, if he wasn't so intent of self promotion and documenting his "great style" none of this would have happened.

His "great style" was an attempt to free climb the route. The physical evidence left behind is fact. It's some 700 meters of fixed rope and around 60 bolts. Tell me why the climber, in which I suspect you mean Lama, is 'absolutely responsible for this'?

In reply to:
Oh the irony of placing 60 bolts to film a climb done in....better style? Wow.

Not that ironic since 450 bolts were left by Maestri on the FA in 1970.

In reply to:
This is why I hate the superstar climber trend. Swoops in with an entourage, leaves a huge mess on the mountain, and leaves it for someone else to clean up. Seems too Hollywoodish to me. Whatever happened to 2 guys, a pack, a rope, and a mountain Frown

If you hate it so much, why waste your time commenting? I hate Britney Spears but I don't waste my time on her blogs and threads leaving unnecessary comments.

Predatory birds swoop and you seem to watch too many movies. You've used the words "superstar", "Hollywoodish" and "entourage" all in the same post. I would call it "a climber(or sponsored climber)", "a free climbing expedition" and "climber's partner, film crew and guides"

from the Alpinist article....

"However, to capture the footage they desired, the Red Bull film crew documenting Lama's ascent installed about 60 new bolts. The crew bolted a new rappel line to the ground from the Col de la Patiencia. They also and added a number of new bolts above the col, according to Horacio Graton, an Argentine guide. Many were in locations "where there is readily available natural protection and where not even Cesare Maestri drilled in 1970," said climber and Patagonia historian Rolando Garibotti.

At the end of the season, Graton and three others were hired by Red Bull to clean up what the film team left on-route. The four carried away gear from the col and 700 meters of rope from the route."

The Alpinist article doesn't seem too biased, which is good, cause a lot of other stuff I'm reading is completey biased.

And lately I've found myself really hating that Michael Jordan. That guy went out and tried to score 40 points a night and win so many championships just so he could get more free gatorade and nike shoes and make a better name for himself.WinkLaugh James Naismith is my new hero. A ball and goal is all that guy ever had. WinkLaugh

majid_sabet

Jun 2, 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #36 of 190 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

the idea of sponsorship is turning unethical young climbers in to modern whores .

dynosore

Jun 2, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #37 of 190 (5201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
In reply to:
If this is true it's messed up beyond words.

It depends on what you read and how you interpret it, but some of it is true. It's o.k. to discuss it with words IMO.

In reply to:
The climber is absolutely responsible for this, if he wasn't so intent of self promotion and documenting his "great style" none of this would have happened.

His "great style" was an attempt to free climb the route. The physical evidence left behind is fact. It's some 700 meters of fixed rope and around 60 bolts. Tell me why the climber, in which I suspect you mean Lama, is 'absolutely responsible for this'?

In reply to:
Oh the irony of placing 60 bolts to film a climb done in....better style? Wow.

Not that ironic since 450 bolts were left by Maestri on the FA in 1970.

In reply to:

If you hate it so much, why waste your time commenting? I hate Britney Spears but I don't waste my time on her blogs and threads leaving unnecessary comments.

Predatory birds swoop and you seem to watch too many movies. You've used the words "superstar", "Hollywoodish" and "entourage" all in the same post. I would call it "a climber(or sponsored climber)", "a free climbing expedition" and "climber's partner, film crew and guides"

from the Alpinist article....

"However, to capture the footage they desired, the Red Bull film crew documenting Lama's ascent installed about 60 new bolts. The crew bolted a new rappel line to the ground from the Col de la Patiencia. They also and added a number of new bolts above the col, according to Horacio Graton, an Argentine guide. Many were in locations "where there is readily available natural protection and where not even Cesare Maestri drilled in 1970," said climber and Patagonia historian Rolando Garibotti.

At the end of the season, Graton and three others were hired by Red Bull to clean up what the film team left on-route. The four carried away gear from the col and 700 meters of rope from the route."

The Alpinist article doesn't seem too biased, which is good, cause a lot of other stuff I'm reading is completey biased.

And lately I've found myself really hating that Michael Jordan. That guy went out and tried to score 40 points a night and win so many championships just so he could get more free gatorade and nike shoes and make a better name for himself.WinkLaugh James Naismith is my new hero. A ball and goal is all that guy ever had. WinkLaugh

"Waste my time" commenting because as a member of the climbing community I don't like what I see. I don't see how this can possibly be considered ok. The climber IS responsible for this, it was HIS climb and HIS film team that did this, it would NOT have happened otherwise. Just because the FA used bolts doesn't mean someone should come along and add 60 bolts Crazy

Everytime a superstar climber "needs" to document a climb, should they be able to add bolts at will? I don't think they are exempt from the ethics of the area just because they are sponsored.....and clearly some people very familiar with the area aren't happy. Seems like very little respect for the mountain to add 60 bolts that may never be used again.

Maybe I'm old fashioned and out of touch, but explain to me how this is okay?

Partner j_ung

Jun 2, 2010, 2:56 PM
Post #38 of 190 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lamberto] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lamberto wrote:

Erik Lambert

Now that seems a little more balanced, thanks. I don't have a dog in the fight, but it seems to me Lama and Red Bull are both going to pay a price for this for a while to come, and maybe rightfully so.

The situation seems pretty unethical, but from the perspective of somebody who has precisely zero experience in Patagonia (just like the vast majority of climbers out there), what we're talking about is more bolts on arguably the most notorious bolted climb in the world. I'm not justifying it. I'm just offering that this may be what was on their minds during the project, i.e., "Hey, at least we're not butchering something pristine."

As for the 700 feet of fixed rope, I guess there were some details missing from the original version, since they didn't actually abandon any of it. Long before this issue blew up on the Interwebz, every inch of it was already gone at Red Bull's expense. (And by the way, a bolt hole certainly can be patched with so little trace that even the bolter won't be able to find the holes. It's pretty easy, actually.)

I would stop drinking Red Bull until I see how this plays out, but I already don't drink it. Not my cup of liquid candy.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jun 2, 2010, 2:59 PM)

ClimbClimb

Jun 3, 2010, 3:08 AM
Post #39 of 190 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I would stop drinking Red Bull until I see how this plays out, but I already don't drink it. Not my cup of liquid candy.

Yes, it seems significant that RedBull paid to have it cleaned up. And then there's what you said. :-)

Partner j_ung

Jun 3, 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #40 of 190 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I know removing bolts from the Compressor Route is a bit more complicated an endeavor than, say, removing a handful from anything at the New, but are their days numbered? It seems to me that, if locals wanted to send a clear message to Red Bull, 60 patched holes upon the film crew's return would be an option for doing so.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jun 3, 2010, 11:36 AM)

irregularpanda

Jun 3, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #41 of 190 (4980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will Gadd's perspective.

http://gravsports.blogspot.com/...-bull-patagonia.html

Partner cracklover

Jun 3, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #42 of 190 (4916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Will Gadd's perspective.

Thanks for that link. Interesting to hear from a RB sponsored athlete.

GO

Alpine07

Jun 6, 2010, 2:59 AM
Post #43 of 190 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
Will Gadd's perspective.

Thanks for that link. Interesting to hear from a RB sponsored athlete.

GO

Agreed, that was definitely worth reading. Another perspective on the whole matter. Thanks!

yanqui

Jun 7, 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #44 of 190 (4754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Lamberto wrote:

Erik Lambert

Now that seems a little more balanced, thanks. I don't have a dog in the fight, but it seems to me Lama and Red Bull are both going to pay a price for this for a while to come, and maybe rightfully so.

The situation seems pretty unethical, but from the perspective of somebody who has precisely zero experience in Patagonia (just like the vast majority of climbers out there), what we're talking about is more bolts on arguably the most notorious bolted climb in the world. I'm not justifying it. I'm just offering that this may be what was on their minds during the project, i.e., "Hey, at least we're not butchering something pristine."

As for the 700 feet of fixed rope, I guess there were some details missing from the original version, since they didn't actually abandon any of it. Long before this issue blew up on the Interwebz, every inch of it was already gone at Red Bull's expense. (And by the way, a bolt hole certainly can be patched with so little trace that even the bolter won't be able to find the holes. It's pretty easy, actually.)

Rolo's main point about the fixed rope was that it shouldn't have been there hanging on the route for almost the entire climbing season. Although it also seems pretty lame to me that all this stuff was left behind by the "expedition", even if some locals were hired to clean up after.

What's your favorite multi-pitch wilderness route where you come from j_ung? Aside from the bolts, how would you and your friends feel if a group of Argentines hung fixed ropes on the route for the entire climbing season (so they could make a "rad" film) and then took off back to Argentina, even if they paid some locals to clean up after? I don't know, maybe you'd think that was pretty cool?

(This post was edited by yanqui on Jun 7, 2010, 3:13 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #45 of 190 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
j_ung wrote:
Lamberto wrote:

Erik Lambert

Rolo's main point about the fixed rope was that it shouldn't have been there hanging on the route for almost the entire climbing season. Although it also seems pretty lame to me that all this stuff was left behind by the "expedition", even if some locals were hired to clean up after.

What's your favorite multi-pitch wilderness route where you come from j_ung? Aside from the bolts, how would you and your friends feel if a group of Argentines hung fixed ropes on the route for the entire climbing season (so they could make a "rad" film) and then took off back to Argentina, even if they paid some locals to clean up after? I don't know, maybe you'd think that was pretty cool?

I hope I would react the exact same way I am now: gather multiple sides of the story and then formulate as informed an opinion as I can. Past that, I'd voice my further opinion that the matter should be handled amongst ourselves, rather than on the Internet. If you've read my post after the one you quoted, you've seen that I suggested that very thing.

yanqui

Jun 7, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #46 of 190 (4662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
yanqui wrote:
j_ung wrote:
Lamberto wrote:

Erik Lambert

I hope I would react the exact same way I am now: gather multiple sides of the story and then formulate as informed an opinion as I can. Past that, I'd voice my further opinion that the matter should be handled amongst ourselves, rather than on the Internet. If you've read my post after the one you quoted, you've seen that I suggested that very thing.

As if anything could be "handled" on internet ... what I had asked was how you feel about something... it was a question about your emotional response to a certain style of filming that would impinge on the locals' experience of climbing in their favorite wild places.

I guess I don't share your aversion to talking about something like this (or expressing opinions about it) on the internet, but, well, that's your opinion. No one (except for ME) was personally attacked in this thread, and the only thing being discussed here is the style employed by a sponsored group in a foreign local. I can't help but asking: why should talking about that be taboo?

At any rate, I have nothing more to say about this, but my daughter is hassling me to see all the emotions available on rc. com, and I'm gonna indulge her, so here goes:

SmileWinkFrownTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyMadShockedLaughUnimpressedSlyPirate

A thread of many emotions ...

Gmburns2000

Jun 7, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #47 of 190 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you forgot MonkeyBeerDevil

And btw - I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it. In fact, I think public conversations help to broaden the knowledge base.

I'd be pretty pissed if something like this happened to an area I cared about, too, and I'd want the world to know, too, so that it won't happen again.

chadnsc

Jun 7, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #48 of 190 (4628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
. . . I can't help but asking: why should talking about that be taboo? . . .
In reply to:

Talking about it isn't taboo.

Talking about something that you don't know anything about however . . . well that's just being foolish.

yanqui

Jun 7, 2010, 9:28 PM
Post #49 of 190 (4608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] What a mess [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
yanqui wrote:
. . . I can't help but asking: why should talking about that be taboo? . . .
In reply to:

Talking about it isn't taboo.

Talking about something that you don't know anything about however . . . well that's just being foolish.

Are you paying any attention to what's going on in this thread?

chadnsc

Jun 7, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #50 of 190 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, are you paying attention when you quote someone?

You can't have an accurate emotional response to some information if the said information is inaccurate or incorrect.

I mean say someone where to come on here and say you abuse your kid and then asked what emotional response we had about it. Later we learned that said incident was you placing your kid in a time out by having her/him stand in a corner for ten minutes.

Do you think the emotional response would be different?

Edit to remove yanqui's cheesed quoting.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Jun 7, 2010, 9:50 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook