Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #1 of 39 (3260 views)
Shortcut

rap technique
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok guys I have something for discussion :) I know for many the retreat and subsequent rappels down the pitches can be the most fearful part of climbing due to several things.

1. With a looped rope or two tied and loop through anchor, if the sawing action cuts that looped rope, down you go.
2. people that put ropes straight through bolt hangers (for routes with bolt stations)
3. the american triangle associated with 2.
4. leaving gear, possibly not having what you need farther down.
5. general redundancy.

So I think this system might address most of above, let me know what you guys think, in good tones please :)

Sorry no pictures. This is a variation of the texas rope trick.

This requires three cords, probably one of these options:
1. two lead ropes and a very thin tag line
2. lead line, haul line, tag line
3. lead line, thin rap line, tag line
which shouldnt be a problem since a 4mm tag line weighs almost nothing for the second to carry. And on any multipitch I would hope two ropes are being taken.

1. So you take two sewn (or tied for cheaper) slings of correct length and you take one of your rapable lines and put a figure eight in the end that goes through both slings.
2. Then put each sling through one bolt hanger.
3. Take the two sling bights from each bolt hanger and pull them so your looking at a single bight composed of the two slings.
4. Rig a single rope rappel line from that bight in 3. by tying figure eight into second rap line and threading the other end of that line through the sling bights and through that lines figure eight.
5. attach tag line to figure eight of second rap line.

Now double strand rappel off the two single lines hanging. Its redundant, and has a nice V from both bolts and uses webbing on the sharp hangers which spreads the pressure out for saftey. And since it is basically two single line rappels its full length and there shouldn't be any sawing action.

The anchor is pullable by first pulling the tag line, and then the first rap rope will pull the anchor. No metal to fall down on your head. and no leaving ANY gear.

Tell me what you guys think.

I imagine the biggest problem that will be brought up is speed, but despite me being wordy (and probably confusing, I apologise!!! :D) it is actually pretty fast :) Two figure eights to tie, thats it.

shockabuku

Jun 1, 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #2 of 39 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonathan.gaillard] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a couple of beers so excuse me if this isn't as good a response as you'd want but,

why the fuck are you rapping off bolt hangers with no biners? Sounds stupid.

coastal_climber

Jun 1, 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #3 of 39 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not hard to do a redundant, safe, and efficient rappel without all that crap.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #4 of 39 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Loooooots of people just thread there rope through the bolt hangers because they don't want to leave gear (especially sport routes), they are that cheap. Also what if you need to do quite a few raps in a row that you don't have enough gear for? Basically I was trying to solve the points I laid out...

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 39 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Would you mind enlightening me instead of just telling me theres a better way with no info?

coastal_climber

Jun 1, 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #6 of 39 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Loooooots of people just thread there rope through the bolt hangers because they don't want to leave gear (especially sport routes), they are that cheap. Also what if you need to do quite a few raps in a row that you don't have enough gear for? Basically I was trying to solve the points I laid out...

Yeah, thats a good way to have a short climbing career.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #7 of 39 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. People seem genuinely surprised when I try to nicely inform them that it might not be such a good idea (especially when ill be on that rope next!)

shockabuku

Jun 1, 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #8 of 39 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:

Really? I've never seen it, though I've heard of it; none of that makes it smart. I don't know of many bolted routes that require more than one rappel to the ground so I'm skeptical that "Loooooots of people" do that. Anyway, I'm not such a cheap bastard as to jeopardize my life for the cost of even the most expensive biner. Or even a few of them.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 1:06 AM
Post #9 of 39 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I agree its not smart no matter how you look at it, I was just saying the reasons people do it. Myself not included.

It happens in areas of sport climbs where there are many routes with no rap rings or chains where people might climb 20 routes in a day, they are not about to leave 40 biners or quicklinks. And even then you still have a poor american triangle.

My main desire to use the thing I laid out would be on multipitch traditional climbs with rap stations that just have hangers. Where one might need to rappel 6 or 7 stations.

What do you think about the topic of the thread? :P

shockabuku

Jun 1, 2010, 1:11 AM
Post #10 of 39 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Yes I agree its not smart no matter how you look at it, I was just saying the reasons people do it. Myself not included.

It happens in areas of sport climbs where there are many routes with no rap rings or chains where people might climb 20 routes in a day, they are not about to leave 40 biners or quicklinks. And even then you still have a poor american triangle.

My main desire to use the thing I laid out would be on multipitch traditional climbs with rap stations that just have hangers. Where one might need to rappel 6 or 7 stations.

I think you're a troll who is making up bullshit and I'm going to go read my book.

irregularpanda

Jun 1, 2010, 1:19 AM
Post #11 of 39 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:

I think it's... I mean you're retarded.

Buy quicklinks at a hardware store if it's that concerning to you. The thick, heavy ones are probably a buck each. Or....you could make up some convoluted and extra complicated way to rappel, and expect anonymous dicks to critique you on the internet. Oh, and those dicks will also be expected to be polite, courteous, and constructive.

Partner angry

Jun 1, 2010, 1:22 AM
Post #12 of 39 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How safe is having a stuck rope and ending up on a rock overnight?

carabiner96

Jun 1, 2010, 1:33 AM
Post #13 of 39 (3162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My rap technique involves phat beats, yo.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 1:48 AM
Post #14 of 39 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow I guess Ill just delete this?

Why do you guys come here, to just blow off some of your ass attitude that you couldn't get rid of at work?

Nice job...

carabiner96

Jun 1, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #15 of 39 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Ok guys I have something for discussion :) I know for many the retreat and subsequent rappels down the pitches can be the most fearful part of climbing due to several things.

1. With a looped rope or two tied and loop through anchor, if the sawing action cuts that looped rope, down you go.
2. people that put ropes straight through bolt hangers (for routes with bolt stations)
3. the american triangle associated with 2.
4. leaving gear, possibly not having what you need farther down.
5. general redundancy.

So I think this system might address most of above, let me know what you guys think, in good tones please :)

Sorry no pictures. This is a variation of the texas rope trick.

This requires three cords, probably one of these options:
1. two lead ropes and a very thin tag line
2. lead line, haul line, tag line
3. lead line, thin rap line, tag line
which shouldnt be a problem since a 4mm tag line weighs almost nothing for the second to carry. And on any multipitch I would hope two ropes are being taken.

1. So you take two sewn (or tied for cheaper) slings of correct length and you take one of your rapable lines and put a figure eight in the end that goes through both slings.
2. Then put each sling through one bolt hanger.
3. Take the two sling bights from each bolt hanger and pull them so your looking at a single bight composed of the two slings.
4. Rig a single rope rappel line from that bight in 3. by tying figure eight into second rap line and threading the other end of that line through the sling bights and through that lines figure eight.
5. attach tag line to figure eight of second rap line.

Now double strand rappel off the two single lines hanging. Its redundant, and has a nice V from both bolts and uses webbing on the sharp hangers which spreads the pressure out for saftey. And since it is basically two single line rappels its full length and there shouldn't be any sawing action.

The anchor is pullable by first pulling the tag line, and then the first rap rope will pull the anchor. No metal to fall down on your head. and no leaving ANY gear.

Tell me what you guys think.

I imagine the biggest problem that will be brought up is speed, but despite me being wordy (and probably confusing, I apologise!!! :D) it is actually pretty fast :) Two figure eights to tie, thats it.

No deleshunz, bitcheez.

clc

Jun 1, 2010, 1:55 AM
Post #16 of 39 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF?
Your rap methods sounds complicated. A much better method would be to fix the top anchors with chains or rap hangers, then rappel normally.
If its you local crag you may as well make it nice to climb.

irregularpanda

Jun 1, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #17 of 39 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Wow I guess Ill just delete this?

Why do you guys come here, to just blow off some of your ass attitude that you couldn't get rid of at work?

Nice job...

Or to shame you into not doing something retarded and killing yourself.

Quicklinks are cheap and simple, and they will improve the safety of your local climbing.

For the future, next time you say something stupid in public, you don't get to whine when people make fun of you for it. It's called hazing, and.....it just kinda happens. Read any posts here, I'm sure you'll see it.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 2:18 AM
Post #18 of 39 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I believe the method to be quite simple and actually very quick. Easily less than a minute. Sorry there are no pictures but I do hope one could understand it without a childs picture book. Its just a couple slings and a couple figure eights. For any full length rappel you have to at least tie one knot.

Do you consider the texas rope trick to be useless on sport climbs?

Also I have heard as many arguments to leaving quicklinks and to not leaving them.

jt512

Jun 1, 2010, 2:26 AM
Post #19 of 39 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Loooooots of people just thread there rope through the bolt hangers...

Actually, n0000000body does that unless they are a complete guuuuuuumby.

Jay

clc

Jun 1, 2010, 2:31 AM
Post #20 of 39 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jonathan.gaillard wrote:
Also I have heard as many arguments to leaving quicklinks and to not leaving them.

Jonathan there is absolutely no good argument to not having rap chains or lower off anchors
what country are you climbing in?

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #21 of 39 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, but I don't maintain the spots I go to. I'm an east coaster in the US, currently. I've seen plenty of routes without chains or rap rings though. You haven't?

currupt4130

Jun 1, 2010, 2:50 AM
Post #22 of 39 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in the hell do you climb? I'm an East Coaster and I have to say that that is not characteristic of anywhere that I have climbed. Metolius makes very large hangers that are used for anchors and used to rappel off of, but no route setter in their right mind would leave just two regular hangers for anchors.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 2:55 AM
Post #23 of 39 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya most of the hangers I see are metolius, but I rarely see these bad guys: http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/rap_hanger.html

I live in Virginia Beach. The only climbing during the week I can do outside is out at manchester bridge richmond and on weekends I get out to the western part of NC.

rightarmbad

Jun 1, 2010, 3:03 AM
Post #24 of 39 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is probably a central rap station to walk over to, or simply a walk off then.

jonathan.gaillard

Jun 1, 2010, 3:13 AM
Post #25 of 39 (3029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rightarmbad] rap technique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are just my local areas. I have climbed plenty of other areas that just have hangers.. Still I was just hoping to get some real feedback on this method for the cases when there are just hangers, or your using a couple of good nuts etc. Otherwise the thread should just go into obscurity..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook