Forums: Climbing Information: General:
underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pendereki

Jun 8, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3596 views)
Shortcut

underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check out this video of a 600 foot underwater dive and rock climb -----it is worth it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0

swoopee

Jun 8, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okey, that was nuts. Cool but nuts.

Partner cracklover

Jun 8, 2010, 6:45 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:
Check out this video of a 600 foot underwater dive and rock climb -----it is worth it!

Wow. Wild. Hard to believe such a thing is possible.

GO

Scooter12ga

Jun 8, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot, anybody could climb that! I'd rate it a UW6 (Under-Water-Six) at best. Tongue

Figuring buoyancy, does that mean that flatter terrain is theoretically harder? All things fair, the less fit people, "blubbery" in UW terminology, would have a harder time staying attached to the 'wall' the flatter it gets.

Here's my new rating system and estimated related steepness:

-- Roofs to -45° = UW0, UW1, UW3
-- -45° to Vertical = UW4, UW5, UW6
-- Vertical to +45° = UW7, UW8, UW9
-- +45° to +22.5° = UW10a,b,c,d, UW11a,b,c,d
-- +22.5° to Flat-bottom = UW12,a,b,c,d

Oh, "he's holding his breath," you say... Oh, Oooohhhhhhhhhhhh. Cool

(This post was edited by Scooter12ga on Jun 8, 2010, 7:15 PM)

ianmeister89

Jun 8, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa.

patmay81

Jun 8, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 27 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scooter12ga] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scooter12ga wrote:
Shoot, anybody could climb that! I'd rate it a UW6 (Under-Water-Six) at best. Tongue

Figuring buoyancy, does that mean that flatter terrain is theoretically harder? All things fair, the less fit people, "blubbery" in UW terminology, would have a harder time staying attached to the 'wall' the flatter it gets.

Here's my new rating system and estimated related steepness:

-- Roofs to -45° = UW0, UW1, UW3
-- -45° to Vertical = UW4, UW5, UW6
-- Vertical to +45° = UW7, UW8, UW9
-- +45° to +22.5° = UW10a,b,c,d, UW11a,b,c,d
-- +22.5° to Flat-bottom = UW12,a,b,c,d
Cool
I'd say your grading system doesn't hold water

sbaclimber

Jun 8, 2010, 8:50 PM
Post #7 of 27 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool!

Those are some pretty sick dynos...Sly

bandycoot

Jun 8, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:

My buddy and I were debating if this was real. He went almost to the "no limits diving" record depth according to his claims. No limit diving typically involves riding a weighted cart down, and a balloon back to the surface. According to wikipedia, the record is 214m. How did he almost match this record without using the tricks and even wasting time at the rim before jumping and at the bottom posing? Anyone know more about this, I'm actually curious? Also, if his videographer was female, she beat the female "no limit diving" record by almost 150' on this same dive. Just find that hard to believe....

Here's another source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-jumpi_n_604183.html

Wikipedia link on free-diving, scroll to the bottom for records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_apnea

Josh

(This post was edited by bandycoot on Jun 8, 2010, 9:14 PM)

sbaclimber

Jun 8, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
My buddy and I were debating if this was real. He went almost to the "no limits diving" record depth according to his claims.
No, actually he states that he did not dive that deep for the video.

edit to fix cheesetit...

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jun 8, 2010, 9:18 PM)

bandycoot

Jun 8, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks man, I think that update on the huffington post page is since I last looked at it. :) That explains a lot. It didn't look like he was moving fast enough to go that deep. Cool video!

Dip

Jun 8, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scooter12ga] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you please give the UW to V-scale to YDS conversion for this? Wink Thanks.. .

edge

Jun 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first saw that on the MSN home page I thought it looked lame. Now I can see that I was correct.

Scooter12ga

Jun 8, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

V and YDS doesn't convert directly cuz this was UNDER WATER, geez!!!1!

n00b!

Ok, fine, if we have to make some sort of estimate. UW12 would be like down-soloing The Nose with your overweight mom riding piggy-back while breathing through a coffee swizzle stick.

(This post was edited by Scooter12ga on Jun 8, 2010, 11:33 PM)

bill413

Jun 9, 2010, 1:43 AM
Post #14 of 27 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Cool!

Those are some pretty sick dynos...Sly

Absolutely. However, also notice the poor use of footwork.

darkgift06

Jun 9, 2010, 4:41 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I guess you guys didn't read the description,

In reply to:
FREE FALL: World champion freediver Guillaume Nery special dive at Dean's Blue Hole, the deepest blue hole in the world filmed entirely on breath hold by the french champion Julie Gautier. This video is a FICTION and an ARTISTIC PROJECT. Edited by BLUENERY (c). Music: ARCHIVE - you make me feel.

trixtah

Jun 9, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #16 of 27 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Enjoy the video, darkgift!

Here's a spoiler: He actually is a champion freediver. Also, the only reason it's branded as fictional is that he didn't actually touch the bottom.

At a certain point, I think the body stops floating so he had to climb. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Physics was not my forte.

(This post was edited by trixtah on Jun 9, 2010, 5:14 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jun 9, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 27 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
I guess you guys didn't read the description,

In reply to:
FREE FALL: World champion freediver Guillaume Nery special dive at Dean's Blue Hole, the deepest blue hole in the world filmed entirely on breath hold by the french champion Julie Gautier. This video is a FICTION and an ARTISTIC PROJECT. Edited by BLUENERY (c). Music: ARCHIVE - you make me feel.

Wrong. Yesterday it didn't say fictional or artistic.

GO

Lethal-Climber

Jun 9, 2010, 7:29 PM
Post #18 of 27 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what an awesome video! Talk about so HUGE dynos!?!?

Thanks for sharing

DoctorSalt

Jun 10, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #19 of 27 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trixtah] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trixtah wrote:
Enjoy the video, darkgift!

Here's a spoiler: He actually is a champion freediver. Also, the only reason it's branded as fictional is that he didn't actually touch the bottom.

At a certain point, I think the body stops floating so he had to climb. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Physics was not my forte.

I haven't taken a proper physics class, but I don't think it works quite like that; boyancy is derived from displaced water weight verses your weight, assuming you're lighter than the displaced water. Thus at greater depths, the water is more compressed so you're displacing a greater weight of water i.e greater boyancy.

The reason he's climbing i think is because he has a ton of lead weights on.

trixtah

Jun 10, 2010, 1:29 AM
Post #20 of 27 (2900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DoctorSalt] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I'm pretty sure that there is a depth with a weighted suit that you become neutrally buoyant depending on the amount of air in your lungs.

csproul

Jun 10, 2010, 1:49 AM
Post #21 of 27 (2882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trixtah] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trixtah wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that there is a depth with a weighted suit that you become neutrally buoyant depending on the amount of air in your lungs.
Having done a lot of free-diving and scuba diving, I can tell you this is basically true. You have air spaces in your body and wetsuit (and tanks if you're using them). At a certain depth, those airspaces are compressed, your buoyancy is equal to the weight pulling you down, and you are neutrally buoyant. Above that depth, that buoyancy is dominant (compared to your weight) and you are positively buoyant. Below that depth, your weight takes over and you become negatively buoyant, i.e the deeper you go, the faster you sink. I may not be able to explain the physics of it, but I can tell you this is how it works.

(This post was edited by csproul on Jun 10, 2010, 1:54 AM)

DoctorSalt

Jun 10, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #22 of 27 (2869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
trixtah wrote:
Having done a lot of free-diving and scuba diving, I can tell you this is basically true. You have air spaces in your body and wetsuit (and tanks if you're using them). At a certain depth, those airspaces are compressed, your buoyancy is equal to the weight pulling you down, and you are neutrally buoyant. Above that depth, that buoyancy is dominant (compared to your weight) and you are positively buoyant. Below that depth, your weight takes over and you become negatively buoyant, i.e the deeper you go, the faster you sink. I may not be able to explain the physics of it, but I can tell you this is how it works.

ah, thanks. Mine was just wild speculation w/8th grade physics.

So would that imply that you weight more than the water you displace due to compression, or is it more complicated than that?

patto

Jun 10, 2010, 2:39 AM
Post #23 of 27 (2858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DoctorSalt] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DoctorSalt wrote:

So would that imply that you weight more than the water you displace due to compression, or is it more complicated than that?

Yes from a physical point of view then that must be correct if what csproul is true. (which I have no reason to doubt)

Your body is mostly neutrally buoyant. Your bones, teeth, nails are a fair bit heavier than water. Muscle, hair and skin weigh slightly more than water. Fat slightly less. Most of it would roughly cancel out. Air in you lungs, mouth, throat are the main source of positive buoyancy. As pressure increases the air compression and your body's volume and thus its buoyancy increases. Water is largely incompressible so the density is barely dependent on depth. (Temperature makes makes a bigger difference.)

bill_in_tokyo

Jun 10, 2010, 4:51 AM
Post #24 of 27 (2829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Non-fiction by way of counterpoint (122 m free dive):

http://www.independent.co.uk/...-records-587619.html

(Not my find: picked up from the supertopo thread regarding this same video.)

(This post was edited by bill_in_tokyo on Jun 10, 2010, 4:52 AM)

csproul

Jun 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #25 of 27 (2765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] underwater rock climbing video, this will make you smile! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
DoctorSalt wrote:

Yes from a physical point of view then that must be correct if what csproul is true. (which I have no reason to doubt)

Your body is mostly neutrally buoyant. Your bones, teeth, nails are a fair bit heavier than water. Muscle, hair and skin weigh slightly more than water. Fat slightly less. Most of it would roughly cancel out. Air in you lungs, mouth, throat are the main source of positive buoyancy. As pressure increases the air compression and your body's volume and thus its buoyancy increases. Water is largely incompressible so the density is barely dependent on depth. (Temperature makes makes a bigger difference.)
Don't you mean buoyancy decreases? As pressure increases, air spaces are compressed, volume decreases and you displace less water....so you are less buoyant and sink faster.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook