RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

keep_it_real

Jun 20, 2010, 9:45 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Converting a hybrid crampon to a strap-in
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently bought a pair of grivel g12 crampons with hybrid bindings which fit nicely on my mountaineering boots. For easier climbs and times when I only need crampons for a small section of snow, it would be nice if I could use them with my hiking shoes which lack a good heel welt.

I tried strapping the hiking shoes in anyway (the heel clip becomes more of a retainer) and the fit seems okay. I can walk around with no noticeable movement. I'm not sure how much I could trust this on the slopes though because apart from the toe bail, there's not much holding the shoe down. In other words, french or pigeon technique would probably be a nightmare.

The grivel website doesn't seem to sell their different bindings separately. I haven't seen their strap-on binding in person but I imagine the heel bail is similar to the toe bail on the hybrid bindings I have, which is attached with a rivet (read permanent, something I don't want because I bought the hybrids for a reason). In the end I'm guessing I'll attach some kind of removable heel cup and a different strap set up but I'm wondering if anyone has tried something along these lines and did it work?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook