RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Jul 6, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Extra pad options...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious to see how other people do it, so i figured i'd ask.

After working some problems (especially the high balls) at Rumney the past few days, my girl and I realized that a third and possibly fourth pad aren't a bad idea for two person sessions.

We currently have two Organic Full pads and managed to grab a friend's pads (two metolius stomps) which made things REALLY nice: make a big area of pads, sit down and crank.
I also met two boulderers there (not going to blow up their spot by namedropping, but i'll say they're hands down the strongest i've ever climbed with) who were also working the forest's problems with four pads, which made me realize that this might not be the overkill some of the cragtards out there seem to feel it is (if you've never bouldered at your limit, i guess you don't realize the benefit of having your falls covered).

I'm considering options and am thinking these are them:

- Get two Half pads which strap to the Full pad for no-hands carrying; the Half pads can be upgraded to 4" foam.
- Get two briefcase pads which are taco hybrid (awesome) but cannot be upgraded. Also straps to the Full pad.
- Get two cheaper full sized pads that won't strap to the Full pad and are bulkier (harder/longer technical scrambles can be a pain) but give us each more solo options.

I'm thinking one Full and one Briefcase covers everything, but i'm curious to hear how other people do it. My only issue is some of the wackier hikes/bushwacking that goes on in some of the less popular areas on the East Coast, which makes me think strapping the small pads down is the best bet.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 6, 2010, 7:16 PM)

redlude97

Jul 6, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Extra pad options... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At this point I would just buy a Big Pad with 5" foam. It will be roughly the same size at a full+5"half, and you won't always have to haul 3 pads in, just the big and one full should cover most highballs if you only have 2 people. Trust me, hauling 3-4 pads with only 2 people is pain regardless of size(other than the halfs) for any approach longer than 5 mins.

sp00ki

Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Extra pad options... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you, that's why i was considering the two half pads-- we'd each have a Full pad on our back with a Half pad strapped on. Keeps hands free for scrambling.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 6, 2010, 9:08 PM)

redlude97

Jul 6, 2010, 9:44 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
I hear you, that's why i was considering the two half pads-- we'd each have a Full pad on our back with a Half pad strapped on. Keeps hands free for scrambling.
Yea that is another good option, I myself have a full/briefcase combo as well as one of my buddies, and the half pads are great as extra coverage even at 3". They fill awkward spots really well. They don't make for great stacking for highballs though which is why I recommended the big pad.

patmay81

Jul 6, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this will be the next pad i buy
http://boulderingpads.com/edelridmantel.aspx

Builderdash

Jul 6, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo man! Rumney was the shizzy this weekend! I think we all had a pretty solid time.

As for your question: I usually carry my "Big" Pad from Organic with my briefcase pad opened and inserted inside.

Big pad is huge compared to even the full and the briefcase is perfect for starts and light padding or placing under another pad to level it.

If i'd of known you were wondering about this you could have borrowed my Big Pad while we were there. It was in my car.

On my end i just bought an extra 9 draws and some slings so i'll be better prepared for the routes next time.

Take it easy. I'll catch up with you in the gym.

Ryan.

curt

Jul 7, 2010, 5:39 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
I'm curious to see how other people do it, so i figured i'd ask.

After working some problems (especially the high balls) at Rumney the past few days, my girl and I realized that a third and possibly fourth pad aren't a bad idea for two person sessions.

We currently have two Organic Full pads and managed to grab a friend's pads (two metolius stomps) which made things REALLY nice: make a big area of pads, sit down and crank.
I also met two boulderers there (not going to blow up their spot by namedropping, but i'll say they're hands down the strongest i've ever climbed with) who were also working the forest's problems with four pads, which made me realize that this might not be the overkill some of the cragtards out there seem to feel it is (if you've never bouldered at your limit, i guess you don't realize the benefit of having your falls covered).

I'm considering options and am thinking these are them:

- Get two Half pads which strap to the Full pad for no-hands carrying; the Half pads can be upgraded to 4" foam.
- Get two briefcase pads which are taco hybrid (awesome) but cannot be upgraded. Also straps to the Full pad.
- Get two cheaper full sized pads that won't strap to the Full pad and are bulkier (harder/longer technical scrambles can be a pain) but give us each more solo options.

I'm thinking one Full and one Briefcase covers everything, but i'm curious to hear how other people do it. My only issue is some of the wackier hikes/bushwacking that goes on in some of the less popular areas on the East Coast, which makes me think strapping the small pads down is the best bet.

The answer is called a "toprope." It weighs substantially less than four big pads, costs less than four big pads, takes up less volume than four big pads and has pretty much the same effect.

Curt

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook