Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Jun 27, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #26 of 51 (15367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jynckx] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
I just ordered a soloist by wren industries. It will allow me to climb lead by myself (sport, trad, aid, TR, etc.). If I send a 5.12a, can I say I free soloed it? Technically I am free climbing, with one person (solo), so it is a free solo. Free solo has come to mean sans rope, but the term free solo only implies free climbing with 1 person. What should it be called if I send a route on self belay? It is definitely burlier than sending with a proper sport belay...
Dude, by definition it is a free solo - you're FREE climbing and your ALONE (solo).
Roped solo clearly refers to top rope roped soloing, not leading (which takes BALLS).
Full on free-soloing. Don't let the haters on here bring you down just because they won't climb without someone right there ready to take for them at every bolt.
So if your friends ask - yes, you free solo'ed 5.12.

dugl33

Jun 27, 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #27 of 51 (15347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jynckx wrote:
I just ordered a soloist by wren industries. It will allow me to climb lead by myself (sport, trad, aid, TR, etc.). If I send a 5.12a, can I say I free soloed it? Technically I am free climbing, with one person (solo), so it is a free solo. Free solo has come to mean sans rope, but the term free solo only implies free climbing with 1 person. What should it be called if I send a route on self belay? It is definitely burlier than sending with a proper sport belay...
Dude, by definition it is a free solo - you're FREE climbing and your ALONE (solo).
Roped solo clearly refers to top rope roped soloing, not leading (which takes BALLS).
Full on free-soloing. Don't let the haters on here bring you down just because they won't climb without someone right there ready to take for them at every bolt.
So if your friends ask - yes, you free solo'ed 5.12.

If you call it anything but a "rope solo" you're a liar. But hey, if that's your thing...

By all means, go for it.

jynckx

Jun 28, 2010, 9:48 AM
Post #28 of 51 (15308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

well, maybe I didn't approach this topic from the right angle. I am not trying to spray and fool people about what I do. I never tell people I free solo a route when I use a rope.

I am really just trying to point out the fact that our terminology SUCKS! Its not clear enough, its ambiguous, its multi-faceted. free and solo means 1 person and no aid. Without a rope should be a different term. We have silly terms like onsight, flash, redpoint, which are all basically the same thing. With beta without beta, who cares? This is an actual REAL DIFFERENCE. We have terminology for stupid things (difference between flash and onsight), but no terminology for things that are quite different. Bottom line is I am free soloing with a rope, and unroped freesoloing is the same term for a completely different thing. We need better terminology. That's why I proposed "rope free solo" but the haters think I am trying to spray or something. Well, I have only ever told my wife and maybe 2 friends, so I dont think I am a sprayer. I only posted here in hopes of consensus giving our sport some better terminology.

Many people try to rgue that I am rope soloing, which I am doing. However, the term rope solo does not imply lead climbing, or free climbing. You can french free on toprope, and still "rope solo." The term rope solo would then need further clarification. Some people say aid solo versus rope solo (implying rope solo is free even though the terminology does not imply this). To those people, let me ask you, if someone says "I rope soloed el cap," do you honestly first think they lead climbed on self belay and sent each pitch? Hellz no, you think they aided it by themselves. In my book this is still a rope solo, and I have seen aid solo referred to as rope solo many times.

Jnclk

Jun 28, 2010, 1:57 PM
Post #29 of 51 (15288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
We have silly terms like onsight, flash, redpoint, which are all basically the same thing.

Onsight and redpoint aren't the same thing... not even close.

jynckx wrote:

Bottom line is I am free soloing with a rope, and unroped freesoloing is the same term for a completely different thing.

Free soloing with a rope is an oxymoron.

dingus

Jun 28, 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #30 of 51 (15285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
I am really just trying to point out the fact that our terminology SUCKS! Its not clear enough, its ambiguous, its multi-faceted.

Anything as crazy and meaningless as climbing is deserving of such a lexicon. Revel in it, have a party. Celebrate the lingo, bro! Its the only one we got.

Don't be trying to change us now, we done been this way since before you were born.

DMT

jt512

Jun 28, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #31 of 51 (15276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
well, maybe I didn't approach this topic from the right angle. I am not trying to spray and fool people about what I do. I never tell people I free solo a route when I use a rope.

I am really just trying to point out the fact that our terminology SUCKS! Its not clear enough, its ambiguous, its multi-faceted. free and solo means 1 person and no aid. Without a rope should be a different term. We have silly terms like onsight, flash, redpoint, which are all basically the same thing. With beta without beta, who cares? This is an actual REAL DIFFERENCE. We have terminology for stupid things (difference between flash and onsight), but no terminology for things that are quite different. Bottom line is I am free soloing with a rope, and unroped freesoloing is the same term for a completely different thing. We need better terminology. That's why I proposed "rope free solo" but the haters think I am trying to spray or something. Well, I have only ever told my wife and maybe 2 friends, so I dont think I am a sprayer. I only posted here in hopes of consensus giving our sport some better terminology.

Many people try to rgue that I am rope soloing, which I am doing. However, the term rope solo does not imply lead climbing, or free climbing. You can french free on toprope, and still "rope solo." The term rope solo would then need further clarification. Some people say aid solo versus rope solo (implying rope solo is free even though the terminology does not imply this). To those people, let me ask you, if someone says "I rope soloed el cap," do you honestly first think they lead climbed on self belay and sent each pitch? Hellz no, you think they aided it by themselves. In my book this is still a rope solo, and I have seen aid solo referred to as rope solo many times.

Seems that only you have trouble understanding the differences between "roped soloing," "free soloing," and "aid soloing." Even after having had it explained to you repeatedly you don't understand it. This is your problem alone.

Jay

dan2see

Jun 28, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #32 of 51 (15275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:

It sounds like you're having good fun. You're getting to do great climbs without the need of a partner to help you. You're getting to go out on your own time, set your own goals. I think that must be very satisfying, and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

But you're doing "rope solo", so don't call it "free solo"!

dan2see

Jun 28, 2010, 2:48 PM
Post #33 of 51 (15263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW I have a Wren Solo Aid (not the same as the Wren Soloist).

It's not as easy to use, but I feel confident that it will hold me.

Actually the biggest problem I have, is rigging a bottom anchor. Here in the Canadian Rockies, the bottom of the crag is usually just a bit of gravel, with maybe a pathetic tree. So the best I can find is the lowest bolt, 10 feet overhead.

I have not taken it as far as your Soloist -- so maybe I should try harder?

dugl33

Jun 30, 2010, 1:28 AM
Post #34 of 51 (15209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:

Actually the biggest problem I have, is rigging a bottom anchor. Here in the Canadian Rockies, the bottom of the crag is usually just a bit of gravel, with maybe a pathetic tree. So the best I can find is the lowest bolt, 10 feet overhead.

Upfront just want to say some of this is in the realm of my own personal theory, but you might consider the following setup.

Buy or gather up two yates screamers and 4 locking biners. Make two "screamer" draws with the lockers on each end.

Clip a figure eight on a bight in the anchor end of your rope, put it on screamer draw no 1 and lock the gate. Now climb up and clip the first bolt with the other side of the screamer draw and lock it. Now climb up on self belay to the next bolt or good pro and clip in the next screamer draw. Clip the rope in with a clove hitch to this draw. (There is a neat little trick for tying this clove one handed just like clipping in by putting twists in the proper way as you clip)

You can now either snug up the clove hitch so the two draws are opposing each other in mild tension, or leave it a bit slack, so a fall at a higher piece loads both bolts together. (Personally I think the first option might be better since more rope is now able to absorb falls from bolt three on up.)

My thinking is if you fall getting to bolt 2, its a factor 2 fall on the first bolt, but with a little forgiveness on the bolt (and you) because of the screamer. Same factor 2 deal climbing from the second to the third because of the clove hitch. But from bolt three on you now have a nice two bolt anchor with load limiting draws on both.

With the two draws tied in slight tension, if you take a hard fall high up and open up the bottom screamer loading will just begin to hit the screamer on bolt two as the first one has gotten longer and the higher draw originally pointed down has now rotate up to load bolt two.

If the crux is between bolts two and three you might decide to skip the clove hitch on bolt two, just realize the downside is you now have a one bolt bottom anchor, but the upside is not taking a factor 2 fall at this spot.

The screamers activate at 2 KN so if you fall high enough on the route I doubt you'll activate them, but you'll have a little more peace of mind about the bottom of the route and the anchor situation.

Tongue

Disclaimer... ya'll make your own decisions and assume your own risks regarding this stuff!

(This post was edited by dugl33 on Jun 30, 2010, 1:31 AM)

dan2see

Jun 30, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #35 of 51 (15193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK dugl33, your advice sounds practical and really it's the best arrangement I've heard of. I don't really want to buy those screamers, but maybe this is a reason to do so.

Well, it's summer time now, and everybody wants to go craggin'. But next time I try this, I'll try to post my result.

airscape

Jul 1, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #36 of 51 (15137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
OK dugl33, your advice sounds practical and really it's the best arrangement I've heard of. I don't really want to buy those screamers, but maybe this is a reason to do so.

Well, it's summer time now, and everybody wants to go craggin'. But next time I try this, I'll try to post my result.

As long as Majid doesn't post you result Tongue

IsayAutumn

Jul 1, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #37 of 51 (15126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:

Call it whatever you want, brah. Nobody has to know the difference. I free soloed on my way to work this morning. First class the whole way, but why would I kink the spray hose by telling people that minor detail?

sbaclimber

Jul 4, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #38 of 51 (15022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
jynckx wrote:

Call it whatever you want, brah. Nobody has to know the difference. I free soloed on my way to work this morning. First class the whole way...
Wow, I wish I had those kind of balls. I am not even up to leading that route yet, never mind free solo! I have lead a couple of the easier pitches, but I am still too scared to be on the sharp end for the stairs to my office (they're kind of steep, easily 2nd class).

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jul 4, 2010, 7:10 PM)

the_climber

Jul 7, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #39 of 51 (14900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
dan2see wrote:

Upfront just want to say some of this is in the realm of my own personal theory, but you might consider the following setup.

Buy or gather up two yates screamers and 4 locking biners. Make two "screamer" draws with the lockers on each end.

Clip a figure eight on a bight in the anchor end of your rope, put it on screamer draw no 1 and lock the gate. Now climb up and clip the first bolt with the other side of the screamer draw and lock it. Now climb up on self belay to the next bolt or good pro and clip in the next screamer draw. Clip the rope in with a clove hitch to this draw. (There is a neat little trick for tying this clove one handed just like clipping in by putting twists in the proper way as you clip)

You can now either snug up the clove hitch so the two draws are opposing each other in mild tension, or leave it a bit slack, so a fall at a higher piece loads both bolts together. (Personally I think the first option might be better since more rope is now able to absorb falls from bolt three on up.)

My thinking is if you fall getting to bolt 2, its a factor 2 fall on the first bolt, but with a little forgiveness on the bolt (and you) because of the screamer. Same factor 2 deal climbing from the second to the third because of the clove hitch. But from bolt three on you now have a nice two bolt anchor with load limiting draws on both.

With the two draws tied in slight tension, if you take a hard fall high up and open up the bottom screamer loading will just begin to hit the screamer on bolt two as the first one has gotten longer and the higher draw originally pointed down has now rotate up to load bolt two.

If the crux is between bolts two and three you might decide to skip the clove hitch on bolt two, just realize the downside is you now have a one bolt bottom anchor, but the upside is not taking a factor 2 fall at this spot.

The screamers activate at 2 KN so if you fall high enough on the route I doubt you'll activate them, but you'll have a little more peace of mind about the bottom of the route and the anchor situation.

Tongue

Disclaimer... ya'll make your own decisions and assume your own risks regarding this stuff!

He doesn't need encouragement to rope solo.

Finding a good bottom anchor for Rope Solo in the Rockies isn't that hard, but it does require experience in placing pro in Rockies Choss. Quite honestly, if one can't find the required initial anchor, they do not know their systems well enough to be safely rope soloing. It's not a novice activity, and is not for novice climbers.
And yes I do rope solo in the Canadian Rockies. Have for years.

Edit: I just realized this was in the Sport Forum... I can't believe I just posted to the Sport forum Mad

(This post was edited by the_climber on Jul 7, 2010, 10:43 PM)

robbovius

Jul 7, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #40 of 51 (14877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
meanandugly wrote:
Here's some trems for you:

Top-rope solo
Sport solo
Trad solo
Aid solo
Masturbation

Roped masturbation
Aid masturbation
Roped solo masturbation
Team masturbation
Sport masturbation

that's why I don't rope solo so much anymore. I was chronically chafed.

robbovius

Jul 7, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #41 of 51 (14871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
Many people try to rgue that I am rope soloing, which I am doing.
you've kind of answered your own OP there.

In reply to:
However, the term rope solo does not imply lead climbing, or free climbing.

actually, yes, it does, because that is, and has been, the long-accepted terminology for leading with a anchored self-belay setup.

if it doesn't imply those things to you, then, well, you haven't been around climbing long enough to understand the accepted terminology and thus, you're a n00b.

so, STFU, n00b.

also, you'e a sport weenie.

(This post was edited by robbovius on Jul 7, 2010, 4:45 PM)

Partner drector

Jul 7, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #42 of 51 (14839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:
I am really just trying to point out the fact that our terminology SUCKS!

"What is the rating of that route?"
"It's 5.14b."
"I can't climb at that grade"

I'm not sure it's the terminology that is the problem.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jul 7, 2010, 6:34 PM
Post #43 of 51 (14829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jynckx wrote:
I am really just trying to point out the fact that our terminology SUCKS! Its not clear enough, its ambiguous, its multi-faceted.

Anything as crazy and meaningless as climbing is deserving of such a lexicon. Revel in it, have a party. Celebrate the lingo, bro! Its the only one we got.

Don't be trying to change us now, we done been this way since before you were born.

DMT

Not only that, the question was posed in English, the singe most f-ed up language on earth. Cant rgew wit dat.

zeke_sf

Jul 7, 2010, 6:48 PM
Post #44 of 51 (14821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
dingus wrote:
jynckx wrote:

DMT

Not only that, the question was posed in English, the singe most f-ed up language on earth. Cant rgew wit dat.

I just like the OP's appeal to a subset of a subset of people who give an F about the importance of refining unimportant terminology. Just climb the climbs, dumb ass. What, is the vernacular screwing up your pivot table?

airscape

Jul 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #45 of 51 (14743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
meanandugly wrote:
Here's some trems for you:

Top-rope solo
Sport solo
Trad solo
Aid solo
Masturbation

Roped masturbation
Aid masturbation
Roped solo masturbation
Team masturbation
Sport masturbation

that's why I don't rope solo so much anymore. I was chronically chafed.

This made me think of a comic I saw this morning.

sp00ki

Jul 8, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #46 of 51 (14697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish this thread would free solo without a rope...

something really high and cruxy.

KeitaroHoshi

Aug 24, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #47 of 51 (14442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jynckx wrote:

No man your termanology sucks. Your fishing for excuces to down other climbers. You have multipul board names and multipull ID names I know who you are. Your favorite quote is anything you say will be held aginst you. go back to foresta and stay there. Or go bouldering and grow up.

jt512

Aug 24, 2010, 5:25 AM
Post #48 of 51 (14424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KeitaroHoshi] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

KeitaroHoshi wrote:
jynckx wrote:

No man your termanology sucks. Your fishing for excuces to down other climbers. You have multipul board names and multipull ID names I know who you are. Your favorite quote is anything you say will be held aginst you. go back to foresta and stay there. Or go bouldering and grow up.

Learn English.

*plonk*

KeitaroHoshi

Aug 24, 2010, 7:11 AM
Post #49 of 51 (14411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
KeitaroHoshi wrote:
jynckx wrote:

Learn English.

*plonk*

What is that suposed to mean? Everybody is already speaking english. Don't put my name in the mix and then say learn english. I don't have time for passing notes to queers. This will be my last responce for you ever. Racist punk.

(This post was edited by KeitaroHoshi on Aug 24, 2010, 7:15 AM)

sungam

Aug 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #50 of 51 (14323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KeitaroHoshi] "free solo" with a rope... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He can't see that message. The "plonk" was you dropping into his killfile, all you posts no longer exist to him. He wasn't referring to your name, he was referring to your spelling.
And don't throw the "racist" card around so much. It makes you look like an idiot.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook