Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

norushnomore

Sep 28, 2010, 8:44 AM
Post #51 of 87 (19570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vivalargo] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

vivalargo wrote:
The belay system should be considered a peak load limiting system, basically set up to eliminate loading directly onto the anchor.

Since the peak force is always absorbed by the top piece, that piece is always the most important because it precluded you shock loading the anchor.

Rethinking the roped safety system as a peak force limiting device is a a little counterintuitive, and is not so easy to fully explain in few words.

JL

I smell "Climbing Anchors 3" in works: use peak load anchor to protect your main anchor or Jesus anchor.
Forget messy quatrolette, self equalization decade is over.

healyje

Sep 28, 2010, 9:18 AM
Post #52 of 87 (19567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
You now seem to be implying that the belay anchor itself should be protected.

Jay

Some of us are old and when I was younger I basically didn't trust any anchor. If there was a decent stance I made damn sure I never loaded the anchor even during falls. Lots of time you ended up at a place to belay with just a nut or two at best and the options for an anchor sucked, so you relied on stancing, or a combination of stancing and whatever you were willing to load an anchor with. Hanging belays didn't leave you much of a choice, but even in those I tried to absorb as much of a fall as I possibly could through my body down to whatever small edges my feet were on.

John's point is likely due to the fact that in recent decades of climbing literature the focus has been more on anchors in isolation, rather than on as just a component of a roped system. And that's what a leader is constructing a piece at a time - a roped protection system with a belayer as the foundation of the system. The belayer, anchor, and the placements are designed to act in concert as a whole in the event of a fall. Appropriate anchoring and slinging are also integral to the optimal design of an effective roped protection system.

The 'system' aspect of what we do has always been underemphasised and overshadowed compared to the individual components of the system (belaying, anchors, and placing gear) and I've always thought that was a mistake.

(This post was edited by healyje on Sep 28, 2010, 9:20 AM)

bill413

Sep 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #53 of 87 (19550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
jt512 wrote:
You now seem to be implying that the belay anchor itself should be protected.

Jay

Some of us are old and when I was younger I basically didn't trust any anchor. If there was a decent stance I made damn sure I never loaded the anchor even during falls. Lots of time you ended up at a place to belay with just a nut or two at best and the options for an anchor sucked, so you relied on stancing, or a combination of stancing and whatever you were willing to load an anchor with. Hanging belays didn't leave you much of a choice, but even in those I tried to absorb as much of a fall as I possibly could through my body down to whatever small edges my feet were on.

John's point is likely due to the fact that in recent decades of climbing literature the focus has been more on anchors in isolation, rather than on as just a component of a roped system. And that's what a leader is constructing a piece at a time - a roped protection system with a belayer as the foundation of the system. The belayer, anchor, and the placements are designed to act in concert as a whole in the event of a fall. Appropriate anchoring and slinging are also integral to the optimal design of an effective roped protection system.

The 'system' aspect of what we do has always been underemphasised and overshadowed compared to the individual components of the system (belaying, anchors, and placing gear) and I've always thought that was a mistake.

Well said. When I learned, stance was emphasized. And, if you look through old climbing photos you will see people belaying based on their stance alone, without being anchored.

vivalargo

Sep 28, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #54 of 87 (19523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

---------

That's the long and the short of what I was saying. Once the entire subject of belaying was taken up by people who had backgrounds in mechanical systems and math models, the combined knowledge of those fields prompted a rethinking of things, for my understanding had largely been from direct experience based on practical concerns. Scott Connolly is an engineer who changed everyone's thinking per the systems approach.

Basically, I was working off the idea that you put most of the effort in fashioning such a bombproof primary belay anchor that no matter if you Factor 2ed onto it from fifty feet out, it still would hold.

Scott got us to realize that the only way for total anchor failure to ever happen is for said anchor to fail, and barring fantastic circumstances, that could only happen if you feel directly onto the belay anchor.

Ergo, the first consideration is to never put yourself in a situation in which you can fall directly onto the belay anchor, which eliminates anchor failure and almost certain death. That meant that the primary concern shifted from the security of the primary anchor to the security of the top piece, which always holds the loading (that's NOT to say you should not strive to build an atomic bombproof belay anchor).

The counterintuitive part is that if you are, say, at a place where you can only get in one super bombproof piece, you use that piece for the Jesus Nut and drop down below and belay from whatever you can get (including the Jesus Nut). The physics (load limiting) of using the "system" like this, as opposed to slamming onto the anchor directly, are much better in this set up, which again, looks at the roped safety system AS a system, not a bunch of disparate parts that you try and and make as bombproof as possible. You still emphasize bombproof primary placements, but you have to keep everything off the anchor if at all possible.

More later. Right now I'm in a rush.

JL

jt512

Sep 28, 2010, 5:00 PM
Post #55 of 87 (19516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

vivalargo wrote:
The counterintuitive part is that if you are, say, at a place where you can only get in one super bombproof piece, you use that piece for the Jesus Nut and drop down below and belay from whatever you can get (including the Jesus Nut). The physics (load limiting) of using the "system" like this, as opposed to slamming onto the anchor directly, are much better in this set up, which again, looks at the roped safety system AS a system, not a bunch of disparate parts that you try and and make as bombproof as possible. You still emphasize bombproof primary placements, but you have to keep everything off the anchor if at all possible.

I'm wondering where that leaves us with respect to the decision to redirect a lead belay through the anchor or not.

Jay

healyje

Sep 28, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #56 of 87 (19499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

As I'm sure John can testify, on onsight FAs or just unfamiliar terrain, BITD with short ropes and just a set of stoppers and hexs, you could literally find yourself either out of rope, out of gear, or both if you weren't careful. You had to calculate finding a stopping point where you still had gear, rope, and options or things could get pretty dicey and some anchors were not omnidirectional despite your best efforts.

Today the situation is infinitely better with regard to racks, rope lengths, and the options they provide. But, from what I see looking around at climbers today I can tell the notion of stancing is extinct for all practical purposes; passive pro is almost always a second choice to cams; that opposition pieces rarely if ever get placed anymore; and, that [appropriate] slinging by and large only happens in very, very obvious situations, otherwise it's quickdraws or unextended trad draws all the way. The first three I get to a degree, the latter I don't get at all.

When someone is actually aware they're constructing a whole roped protection system one placement at a time I can tell because they are evaluating the slinging requirement of every placement. And slinging should be considered is an essential aspect of every placement - it isn't about the quality of a placement in isolation, but rather what a particular placement can contribute to the whole system and that is accomplished via slinging whether long or short. One look at the slinging on a pitch and you can immediately tell who gets the 'system' aspect of what they're doing and who doesn't.

Also, even with today's fabulous gear you can still end up in marginal situations if you aren't careful. Ever since the introduction of Air Voyagers (today's Screamers) I've always racked one anytime I'm contemplating anything which had the potential to sketch on either an anchor or pro. Having one along can go a long way to moderate what might otherwise be a bad call and excessively risky proposition. It's like being able to at least say a Hail Mary when Jesus seems to have skipped town.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 30, 2010, 2:15 PM
Post #57 of 87 (19420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

Really? I always thought it was the other way around. There is so much talk about equalization, redundancy, etc., but if you do not have solid individual pieces, whether it's your anchor or belayer or intermediate protection, then the system as a whole suffers.

Josh

stevebontes

Sep 30, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #58 of 87 (19385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

well i am getting older and i guess after 21 years on the rock,my bones are getting tired,i do enjoy talking about climbing with like minded people so here i am, this is the first time for me writting on a forum and i found this subject interesting,after reading all of the content and deciding to start with this ,i will share some of my experiences and no doubt come up with somthing that some self proclaimed expert will have a pissing contest with;)

well in my experiences , i have had this debate in personne with many over the years,

the final agreement we could all come to "given that it was a strait forward crack "

to reduce the danger of a serious fall factor was to place protection immediatly after leaving the anchor and close to the the highest protection in the anchor,

but not clipping the anchor as your first point,

our reasoning for this was

that most 3 point anchors with natural protection with a cordelette for example is intended to hold you and your second in a situation (depending on load directions )for

an/ abseil for retreat /or rescue,
hauling for rescue of a disabled second ,
in normal belaying of the second and leader

a fall factor 2 from above should be tolerated by the belay anchor ,,,

that to call it a "belay anchor" the the system used the philosophy that if any single point in the anchor was to pull out its strenght would still exceed the ultimate breaking strenght of the rope used and this exceeds that of the occasional fall factor 2 immediatly after leaving the belay,

all of this depends on your ability to reasonably forsee all of the risks and anticipate directions of force while building an anchor for belay. and of course it helps to have tap tested the rock with a hammer or steel carabiner listening for changes in pitch or tone which may indicate weakness under the surface,

by clipping the anchor as your first point,we decided that this alone (unless a load tested bolt anchor)could destroy the total integrity of this system by pulling the belayer in a direction to affect the equalization of the anchor and or pulling the protection off its intended direction of load ,,,

at the same time as load two climbers in a high fall factor situation onto one piece of protection,,,this could then be the first failure in the system,now leaving you with two compromised points of protection still yet to load and with the protection poorly seated and not in its intended position as before it is possible for a total failure of the belay anchor system,,,

if one more point fails you have one left and imagine if your leader is now below you unconcious with the rack ,,

and you are both hanging on one compromised point,,,

you only have the two points of protection hanging in the loose ends of the cordelette,,,

this is as scary as it gets and all the while you are holding the rope in a probably burnt hand while trying to come to terms with what just happend ,

NOW is the time to think about how to get out of this situation ,can you think?can you save the two of you first then save your climbing partner who has only 5 OR 10 MINUTES approx before suspension trauma kills him ,,,

can you get to him in time to relieve the blood flow restrictions the harness is putting on him can you at least get him upright so that he may gain conciousness?

that was just to give you an example of why i don't personally use my belay anchor for the first point (unless it is a multidirectional bolt at 22kn x 2 )

back to the jesus nut, to reduce the danger of a serious fall factor was to place protection immediatly after leaving the anchor and close to the the highest protection in the anchor,,,

and another a little higher when the climber is at waste height with the last point of protection keeping the following protection close this way and gradually spacing them out afterwards ...

now this all depends on your decisions and where you climb and every thing depends on the experience of the first accentionist and his or her willingness to protect the climb for future generations or at least give the correct advise in the guidebook ,,,

i have no doubt that the situation in the mind of the origins of this subject have great merit as to the idea of preplacing the jesus nut in a bombproof placement in a diffucult climb is surely better for a fall at the end of the pitch but if it is possible to climb to that point why not build the anchor there and bring the second up to there on toprope instead of downclimbing to make a belay anchor,,,

in my experience i have come to the end of my rope and tried to build an anchor with only one suitable point and down climbed to gain more rope and a better crack for a solid belay anchor whilst leaving that point up there and by chance my climbing partner got a free point preplaced by me,,,

but after all these years i will say it all depends on your situation as to what you choose...

thanks for the thinking.

climb safe

steve

joeforte

Sep 30, 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #59 of 87 (19354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevebontes] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you Majid?

stevebontes wrote:
well i am getting older and i guess after 21 years on the rock,my bones are getting tired,i do enjoy talking about climbing with like minded people so here i am, this is the first time for me writting on a forum and i found this subject interesting,after reading all of the content and deciding to start with this ,i will share some of my experiences and no doubt come up with somthing that some self proclaimed expert will have a pissing contest with;)

well in my experiences , i have had this debate in personne with many over the years,

the final agreement we could all come to "given that it was a strait forward crack "

to reduce the danger of a serious fall factor was to place protection immediatly after leaving the anchor and close to the the highest protection in the anchor,

that most 3 point anchors with natural protection with a cordelette for example is intended to hold you and your second in a situation (depending on load directions )for

that to call it a "belay anchor" the the system used the philosophy that if any single point in the anchor was to pull out its strenght would still exceed the ultimate breaking strenght of the rope used and this exceeds that of the occasional fall factor 2 immediatly after leaving the belay,

all of this depends on your ability to reasonably forsee all of the risks and anticipate directions of force while building an anchor for belay. and of course it helps to have tap tested the rock with a hammer or steel carabiner listening for changes in pitch or tone which may indicate weakness under the surface,

by clipping the anchor as your first point,we decided that this alone (unless a load tested bolt anchor)could destroy the total integrity of this system by pulling the belayer in a direction to affect the equalization of the anchor and or pulling the protection off its intended direction of load ,,,

at the same time as load two climbers in a high fall factor situation onto one piece of protection,,,this could then be the first failure in the system,now leaving you with two compromised points of protection still yet to load and with the protection poorly seated and not in its intended position as before it is possible for a total failure of the belay anchor system,,,

if one more point fails you have one left and imagine if your leader is now below you unconcious with the rack ,,

you only have the two points of protection hanging in the loose ends of the cordelette,,,

this is as scary as it gets and all the while you are holding the rope in a probably burnt hand while trying to come to terms with what just happend ,

NOW is the time to think about how to get out of this situation ,can you think?can you save the two of you first then save your climbing partner who has only 5 OR 10 MINUTES approx before suspension trauma kills him ,,,

can you get to him in time to relieve the blood flow restrictions the harness is putting on him can you at least get him upright so that he may gain conciousness?

that was just to give you an example of why i don't personally use my belay anchor for the first point (unless it is a multidirectional bolt at 22kn x 2 )

back to the jesus nut, to reduce the danger of a serious fall factor was to place protection immediatly after leaving the anchor and close to the the highest protection in the anchor,,,

and another a little higher when the climber is at waste height with the last point of protection keeping the following protection close this way and gradually spacing them out afterwards ...

now this all depends on your decisions and where you climb and every thing depends on the experience of the first accentionist and his or her willingness to protect the climb for future generations or at least give the correct advise in the guidebook ,,,

i have no doubt that the situation in the mind of the origins of this subject have great merit as to the idea of preplacing the jesus nut in a bombproof placement in a diffucult climb is surely better for a fall at the end of the pitch but if it is possible to climb to that point why not build the anchor there and bring the second up to there on toprope instead of downclimbing to make a belay anchor,,,

in my experience i have come to the end of my rope and tried to build an anchor with only one suitable point and down climbed to gain more rope and a better crack for a solid belay anchor whilst leaving that point up there and by chance my climbing partner got a free point preplaced by me,,,

but after all these years i will say it all depends on your situation as to what you choose...

thanks for the thinking.

climb safe

steve

jt512

Oct 1, 2010, 1:51 AM
Post #60 of 87 (19343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
Are you Majid?

stevebontes wrote:

thanks for the thinking.

climb safe

steve

No. Majid makes up his own grammar. Steve makes up his own punctuation.

Jay

stevebontes

Oct 1, 2010, 9:09 AM
Post #61 of 87 (19325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not sure what you mean by majid?

is it some new slang word i haven't heard yet?

the moral of my storie is ,my primary concern at every belay anchor is the simple question of can i rescue if somthing goes bad?

it is not enough just to catch a falling partner ,that is important yes but without a plan for rescues on every multipitch or alpine route or at least two climbers thinking about escape as much as the summit you can bet your in the shit bigtime when or if somthing goes wrong,

i never doubt my partners abilty to get me out of the shit,,,

he or she can also be confident in my abilty to climb responsibly and be able to in most situations efficiantly get them out of the shit...

remember up there you are always in the shit it is only the depth that varies and you should be ok to make the right decisions,,,

or just climb with your head in the clouds

or you could find that there is a lot of fun to be had in the proccess practicing some techniques with you partner for example a simple hauling rescue or a tendem rappel to escape a route with an unconcious partner this is all part of that system of protection

like with all bags of tricks its better to have it and not need it ,,,than to need it and not have it,,,

steve

ps: i am using a pain in my arse french keyboard,
but its good to see that traditional climbing has anything to do with puntuation or grammar, i guess that old tradition of writing comes in handy when your not climbing

(This post was edited by stevebontes on Oct 1, 2010, 9:22 AM)

joeforte

Oct 1, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #62 of 87 (19293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevebontes] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The way you phrased things sounded exactly like a guy on this site, named majid. I was wondering if you were him.

stevebontes wrote:
not sure what you mean by majid?

is it some new slang word i haven't heard yet?

the moral of my storie is ,my primary concern at every belay anchor is the simple question of can i rescue if somthing goes bad?

it is not enough just to catch a falling partner ,that is important yes but without a plan for rescues on every multipitch or alpine route or at least two climbers thinking about escape as much as the summit you can bet your in the shit bigtime when or if somthing goes wrong,

i never doubt my partners abilty to get me out of the shit,,,

he or she can also be confident in my abilty to climb responsibly and be able to in most situations efficiantly get them out of the shit...

remember up there you are always in the shit it is only the depth that varies and you should be ok to make the right decisions,,,

or just climb with your head in the clouds

or you could find that there is a lot of fun to be had in the proccess practicing some techniques with you partner for example a simple hauling rescue or a tendem rappel to escape a route with an unconcious partner this is all part of that system of protection

like with all bags of tricks its better to have it and not need it ,,,than to need it and not have it,,,

steve

ps: i am using a pain in my arse french keyboard,
but its good to see that traditional climbing has anything to do with puntuation or grammar, i guess that old tradition of writing comes in handy when your not climbing

stevebontes

Oct 1, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #63 of 87 (19279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mabey he is australian too or mabey living in france too
two languages can make it tricky too.i am guessing majid is speaking two languages...

jktinst

Oct 5, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #64 of 87 (19177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(LONG POST WARNING). Do not read this if you feel that it’s too long and pls refrain from quoting the whole thing adding only "!!!" or "WTF?".

I agree that focusing on the entire belay chain, striving to eliminate the possibility of an FF2 and minimizing the peak load to be absorbed by the high pro (or making extra-sure that it's bombproof when the load would be high) sounds good and is inherently safer. But I wonder what it really means in practice, other than that it would not really make sense to speak of the JN anymore since there would no longer be that special pro that gets you out of a potential FF2 situation and the most essential progression pro would simply be the last one before the fall. I have come across 3 main approaches that fulfill these criteria (assuming, for now, that placement options are not limiting).

1. The leader's rope is clipped in the central point of the belay anchor and the leader either a) reaches as high as possible without climbing above this point to place his 1st progression pro (possibly while keeping his cow's tail clipped into the central point until he clips the 1st pro) or b) climbs further up before placing that 1st pro.

For 1a, you need enough distance between the ATC and the central point to allow feeding the rope properly and not get fingers and ATC crushed and jammed in case of a fall, but this should be achievable, in most cases, without having to climb much above the belay stance to install the anchor. The leader also needs to place a 2nd pro (and even a 3rd one) reasonably quickly in the progression since, this close to the belay, FFs and peak loads start getting pretty high again soon after passing the last pro.

For 1b, the belayer, after bringing up the second, needs to downclimb and go sit further below the central point (using a very long cow’s tail or hanging off a clove hitch on the rope), the further up the leader intends to climb above the central point before placing his 1st pro. This, of course, ensures that the belayer and ATC won’t be sucked into the central point but mainly, it keeps the FF & peak load reasonably low. This approach has been suggested in this thread and others. My difficulty with it is that it goes against how I've always looked for and planned my belays and, more importantly, how topo descriptions are all given. Both of these involve describing or looking for belay stances where there is a decent resting position, with good pro options within arm's reach. I could get used to the idea of looking for belays with good pro options somewhat further up than arm’s reach but I have a hard time with the idea of doing hanging belays a couple of metres below a comfortable stance!

2. The leader clips the _____ piece of the belay anchor (most solid, central, highest, etc.), with the same a) & b) subsections as above

In addition to the same comments as above, I am really not keen on any of the variations in this approach that I have read about. I am quite fond of dynamically equalized belay anchors. The possibility of falling, ripping out a key pro and destabilizing the entire anchor really does not appeal to me. Of course the multiple bomb-proof pros and redundancy in the sling configuration should ensure that the belay anchor can cope with one piece ripping out but I can't help thinking that clipping one belay pro and going on to climb above it on a regular basis or as the 1st choice of lead start-up strategy is asking for trouble.

3. The previous leader places AND clips the 1st pro at the end of his pitch (as discussed in this thread)

It seems to me that this approach can work really well but only under certain circumstances. You need i) enough rope left to clip and downclimb and ii) a belay stance that is not too wide (or intimidating) but still good enough to be worth using rather than setting up a hanging belay further up. In these circumstances, the previous leader can take advantage of the end-of-pitch safety (lowest FFs & peak loads) to place and clip the 1st progression pro of the next pitch above the belay or maybe even both a 1st & a 2nd pro. These do not have to be nearly as close to the belay as in approaches 1a or 2a, thus allowing the possibility of getting a somewhat higher level of safety while placing fewer gear just above the belay. The next leader will be in a top-rope situation until he reaches the highest pro placed by the previous one. Of course, as discussed earlier in the thread, if you're swapping leads, you will need to either belay the second on redirect through the 1st pro or re-stack the rope on the right side of that pro after the second gets there.

Did I miss other approaches ?

My preferences for now:

If I have enough rope and no belay ledge or other obstacle to hit if I fall, I think that I would go for approach 3. Otherwise, I would opt for 1a.

Under approach 3, I would strive to make my belay anchor high enough that I could belay the next leader through the central point so that, even if all the progression pros rip out, stopping the fall would still NOT involve the ATC (and my braking hand) flipping around 180 deg. Since I intend to climb above the stance to pre-place and clip the 1st progression pros, there should be no problem placing some of the pros for the belay anchor a bit higher than arm’s reach to help keep my central point high. In an ideal situation, I would place the 1st progression pro for the next lead something like 1.5m above the central point and the 2nd one, assuming I have enough rope, another 2m or so above that.

For bringing up the second, I would probably do it on redirect through the 1st pros and also have the rope threaded through the central point so that, if the second falls and the pros pop (heaven forbid on such an easy catch!!), I, again, will not have the ATC flip 180. If I have enough gear left after my lead and a decent pro placement stance at either the 1st or 2nd progression pro, I might even make it a double equalized anchor (and, since we are speaking of MY ideal situation here, that anchor would likely be a sliding double-X.. and an extension-limited one, while I'm at it Tongue). If the next pitch starts off at a slant or traverse, I would probably place only the 1st progression anchor but would strive to make it a double equalized, multi-directional one.

Similarly, if conditions were not good for approach 3 and my partner set me up for approach 1a, I might again try making one of the first two progression anchors a double-equalized one to set up a bomb-proof start to the rest of the belay chain.

Of course, this whole discussion has assumed that pro placement options are not limited due to a lack of acceptable locations, gear, or both. If they are limited (eg in John's example of a single one of the belay anchor’s pro placement options being bombproof (yikes!)), the other approaches (1b, 2a and 2b) would start looking pretty darn good, as John pointed out!Frown. So, as far as I can see, they all belong in the bag of tricks, to be used when most appropriate.

Stephane

(This post was edited by jktinst on Oct 13, 2010, 2:05 PM)

jktinst

May 17, 2011, 5:52 PM
Post #65 of 87 (18674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jktinst] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting back to trad multi-pitch after the winter and thinking some more about the options discussed above, I realized that with option 3, you need to consider ahead of time whether you will be swapping leads or if the same leader will keep on leading. If swapping, the previous leader will need to back-clip his high anchor before downclimbing back to the belay stance so the next leader will find it correctly clipped on his lead. I’m thinking that this is not a big problem since the previous leader will not climb above that high pro (which is when back-clipping is an issue).

Finally, although I already felt that it would make sense for this high anchor to be bombproof (eg double equalized pros) to back-stop the belay chain above the belay anchor, I hadn’t considered the implications of this high anchor functioning as a top-rope anchor for the partner as he seconds the previous pitch and starts leading the next one. In addition to being bombproof, it probably should also have the same kind of security as a regular top-rope anchor, ie using two biners with opposed gates (which also makes the back-clipping even less of an issue).

Stéphane

rtwilli4

May 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #66 of 87 (18608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:
Getting back to trad multi-pitch after the winter and thinking some more about the options discussed above, I realized that with option 3, you need to consider ahead of time whether you will be swapping leads or if the same leader will keep on leading. If swapping, the previous leader will need to back-clip his high anchor before downclimbing back to the belay stance so the next leader will find it correctly clipped on his lead. I’m thinking that this is not a big problem since the previous leader will not climb above that high pro (which is when back-clipping is an issue).

Finally, although I already felt that it would make sense for this high anchor to be bombproof (eg double equalized pros) to back-stop the belay chain above the belay anchor, I hadn’t considered the implications of this high anchor functioning as a top-rope anchor for the partner as he seconds the previous pitch and starts leading the next one. In addition to being bombproof, it probably should also have the same kind of security as a regular top-rope anchor, ie using two biners with opposed gates (which also makes the back-clipping even less of an issue).

Stéphane

Fail.

jktinst

Sep 26, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #67 of 87 (18271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking for info on a German belay system that came up in another thread, I stumbled on this manual on belay anchors and techniques from the DAV (2009) http://www.alpenverein-muenchen-oberland.de/...latzbau_juli_091.pdf. I can’t read a word of German and can’t say that I agree with all the diagrams shown but there is an illustration on p. 24 (the "Plus Clipp" system) that clearly shows the leader of the previous pitch back-clipping the first pro of the next pitch and belaying his second on redirect through that first pro.

I’m not too crazy about doing that redirect through just a QD. Like I said before, this is essentially a top-roping set-up and at least some of the usual TR precautions ought to be taken. Nevertheless, I thought that it was interesting that what I described in my previous post is simply a clean pro version of this "Plus Clipp". Anyone here with enough German to say whether the text provides important additional info?

marc801

Sep 26, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #68 of 87 (18265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:
I’m not too crazy about doing that redirect through just a QD. Like I said before, this is essentially a top-roping set-up and at least some of the usual TR precautions ought to be taken.
You're comfortable having that single QD handle the impact of a leader fall yet somehow uncomfortable using it as a TR redirect?
Um, fail. I suggest a dose of rationality in your analysis. The "usual TR precautions" you refer to are because in a usual TR, it is the only anchor. But that's not the case here. You decided it was a TR anchor, so now you're getting wrapped around the axle with all the concerns about "usual TR precautions".

jktinst

Sep 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #69 of 87 (18226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, say the first clip of the next pitch is about 3m from the "floor level" of the belay position and the QD comes apart as the second takes a fall, he will instantly drop about 4 m + the stretch in the rope. Since the rope will be at its stretchiest at the beginning of the pitch, you basically have a situation where, for the first 5 m or so of the pitch your QD redirect must not fail under any circumstance. Of course, with a proper TR that applies to the entire route, which is definitely a tougher standard than just the first 5 m, but I’m not sure that your second would appreciate the difference if he were to take a 5 m groundfall. Of course, if your second’s 4+ m fall happened further up (less stretch higher up), he could still hit something else and, if it happened near the top, it would result in a fairly high fall factor. So, yes, these are also the kinds of things that can happen in leader falls, on simple QDs, etc. but to impose those risks on a second when a tiny bit of extra gear and work could have avoided it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Clipping the first pro of the next pitch is all about taking advantage of the greater safety factors at the end of a pitch to make the beginning of the next pitch safer for the next leader. That greater safety should definitely not come at the expense of the second.

jacques

Sep 27, 2011, 1:36 AM
Post #70 of 87 (18204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I red most of the post and I have one question: how many time is it more dangerous to place the "jesus nut" at the end of the pitch, instead of when the leader start the pitch?

shockabuku

Sep 27, 2011, 2:27 AM
Post #71 of 87 (18197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:
Well, say...the QD comes apart as the second takes a fall

How many quickdraws have you seen come apart?

jktinst

Sep 27, 2011, 3:38 AM
Post #72 of 87 (18185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] When to place the Jesus nut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
I red most of the post and I have one question: how many time is it more dangerous to place the "jesus nut" at the end of the pitch, instead of when the leader start the pitch?
This is still pretty new to me but, based on past experience, it's the belay ledge condition that's going to be the most restrictive. Running out of rope or gear isn't all that frequent but belay positions will quite often be unsuitable to climb above at the end of the previous pitch with no spotter and with a lot of stretch in the rope. Still, it's an option to keep in mind because, when the conditions are right, I prefer it to the other two (although I'm certainly not willing to forgo a good belay ledge just to be able to implement it)

shockabuku wrote:
Not a single one ever. I take it that you have never seen one come apart either and that, on the strength of that knowledge, you set up all your top-ropes with single QDs as anchors?

I used "come apart" but I could have used "fail" or any other term. I am not particularly interested in discussing the different ways in which a QD used as a TR anchor might go kablooie and how unlikely each way might be. Bottom line is we don't normally use single QDs as TR anchors and there's plenty of good reasons for that.

(This post was edited by jktinst on Sep 27, 2011, 3:47 AM)

shockabuku

Sep 27, 2011, 4:06 AM
Post #73 of 87 (18177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:
jacques wrote:
This is still pretty new to me but, based on past experience, it's the belay ledge condition that's going to be the most restrictive. Running out of rope or gear isn't all that frequent but belay positions will quite often be unsuitable to climb above at the end of the previous pitch with no spotter and with a lot of stretch in the rope. Still, it's an option to keep in mind because, when the conditions are right, I prefer it to the other two (although I'm certainly not willing to forgo a good belay ledge just to be able to implement it)
I think you guys are having two different conversations.

In reply to:

shockabuku wrote:
Not a single one ever. I take it that you have never seen one come apart either and that, on the strength of that knowledge, you set up all your top-ropes with single QDs as anchors?

I used "come apart" but I could have used "fail" or any other term. I am not particularly interested in discussing the different ways in which a QD used as a TR anchor might go kablooie and how unlikely each way might be. Bottom line is we don't normally use single QDs as TR anchors and there's plenty of good reasons for that.
As someone mentioned above - this isn't a TR anchor. The anchor is the thing below the quickdraw and it's purpose is to keep the climbing team from an uncontrolled catastrophic fall and it does that even in this case. However, I wasn't really debating the merits of this technique - rather commenting on the relatively low risk of a quickdraw failing. If you don't want to accept that risk, given the consequences, that's your choice but it seems ironic coming from a person who would engage in multi-pitch lead climbing to begin with.

hugepedro

Sep 27, 2011, 5:45 AM
Post #74 of 87 (18169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:
Well, say the first clip of the next pitch is about 3m from the "floor level" of the belay position and the QD comes apart as the second takes a fall, he will instantly drop about 4 m + the stretch in the rope. Since the rope will be at its stretchiest at the beginning of the pitch, you basically have a situation where, for the first 5 m or so of the pitch your QD redirect must not fail under any circumstance. Of course, with a proper TR that applies to the entire route, which is definitely a tougher standard than just the first 5 m, but I’m not sure that your second would appreciate the difference if he were to take a 5 m groundfall. Of course, if your second’s 4+ m fall happened further up (less stretch higher up), he could still hit something else and, if it happened near the top, it would result in a fairly high fall factor. So, yes, these are also the kinds of things that can happen in leader falls, on simple QDs, etc. but to impose those risks on a second when a tiny bit of extra gear and work could have avoided it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Clipping the first pro of the next pitch is all about taking advantage of the greater safety factors at the end of a pitch to make the beginning of the next pitch safer for the next leader. That greater safety should definitely not come at the expense of the second.

Ok, we get it! Somebody wants a new set of draws for Christmas!

jacques

Sep 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #75 of 87 (18104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jktinst wrote:

I think that it is important some time. A good belay ledge with a run out after (fall factor two) is not always a good solution. better to have an hanging belay with less risk than a good one with scary pro.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook