Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

OCD

Oct 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently a Registered Nurse working for a agency and planning to start full time traveling. This had been my motivation to go to nursing school after meeting other traveling nurses in Rifle, I am looking for advice and other information, and other healthy nurses cause they are hard to come by. I want to work less and climb more

USnavy

Oct 15, 2010, 2:36 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OCD] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure what your asking but my girlfriend is an RN and she works for one week and gets eight days off. We climb together all the time, its a perfect climbing schedule.

TarHeelEMT

Oct 18, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OCD] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not me, but I'm finishing up med school and hope to do emergency medicine with the ultimate goal of moving around a lot and climbing.

danabart

Oct 19, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nursing definitely offers flexibility. I am an RN, and I only work 100 days a year. I don't know if that sort of opportunity is still available, but perhaps with time and a little experience you would be able, to some degree, write your own ticket in an area of the country you like.

OCD

Oct 20, 2010, 5:09 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danabart] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently working as a RN nights, work 3 out of 7, climb all the time. hitt up the weekdays avoiding the crowds, and the oppurtunitys out there are endless, just checking to see how many others are taking advantage of this awesome career. I can get a job anywhere whenever I want its a sweet gig

coolcat83

Oct 20, 2010, 9:50 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a ER nurse. I work full time which is 13 days a month. That leaves lots of time for other interests. We do have to work two weekends a month but that's not a bad deal. For example I'm on the third of 3 nights working in a row now. Then I have 5 days off. That's long enough to take a decent trip. I recommend it if you really enjoy people and are up for working hard. Plus if you don't like one area of nursing there are so many things you can do you'll never get bored.

OCD

Oct 28, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its nice to hear others are taking advantage of the same type of career, work less climb more

potreroed

Oct 28, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Work less and climb more has always been my motto!!

sausalito

Oct 28, 2010, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Travel contracts are out there but are generally crap right now. If you have 10+ years experience you can get a good gig... otherwise you are not going to get a setup that were all over the place 10 years ago when RNs were traveling and banking 100K+ a year easily.

I know Arizona, California, Oregon and Washington are still hiring a reasonable amount of travel nurses. Arizona is probably paying the best right now other than the Bay area, which has had the highest RN pay for years.

I beat the rush in to nursing... the 2 year degree schools that are pumping out grads now along with the shitty economy have started to saturate the market.

Nursing is hard on a body. Remember that by traveling you get no seniority, rarely get promoted, ect. You don't want to be 50 years old and have to be busting ass bedside to pay the bills.

danabart

Oct 28, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sausalito] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The previous reply had some good info. I was an ER nurse for many years, and perhaps a bit more so than other nursing jobs it is physically stressful (you don't see any old ER nurses), but many nursing jobs are. I also did contract nursing and you can get thrown into some rough situations with no help or backup. You might want to ask yourself if you want to be a blue-collar (nursing is basically a blue-collar job) shift worker for your entire life.

OCD

Nov 3, 2010, 6:17 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danabart] Who out there is a traveling RN currently traveling and climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice, I have not had any problem finding jobs through agency, and plenty of paid schooling programs to further my education in the medical field and with the majority of the baby boomers hitting retirement, and a nation full of unhealthy slubbis people I am sure that jobs will still be plentful maybe not as bountiful as 10 years ago but still good in this type of economy

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook