First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

uhoh

Nov 25, 2010, 8:18 AM
Post #1 of 34 (4162 views)
Shortcut

I want a cigarette
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I want 200 of them. Or 4 ounces of tobacco and a shit ton of rolling papers. I want it bad. Real bad, like sofa king bad.

Right. Nao.

This quitting/giving up shit isn't for me.

timd

Nov 25, 2010, 8:46 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hang in there dammit, I have not had a cig for two months.

Kartessa

Nov 25, 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
Actually, I want 200 of them. Or 4 ounces of tobacco and a shit ton of rolling papers. I want it bad. Real bad, like sofa king bad.

Right. Nao.

You could always just quit quitting...

Or replace cigarettes with sex, that's a healthier addiction.

airscape

Nov 25, 2010, 1:52 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape

Nov 25, 2010, 1:54 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape

Nov 25, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Care for a fag?

Partner epoch

Nov 25, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:

Right. Nao.

I stopped smoking 7 months ago.

It gets easier the longer you go.

edge

Nov 25, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #8 of 34 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Next Tuesday will be 5 months without alcohol for me; down from a high of a half gallon of gin or vodka per day. In those five months I can honestly say that I have not had the urge to drink even once.

Anyone can not drink or smoke for a while by white knuckling it, but the lasting changes come with an attitude shift.

Good luck!

uhoh

Nov 25, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
uhoh wrote:

Right. Nao.

I stopped smoking 7 months ago.

It gets easier the longer you go.

Yeah, that's what I remember from the first time. I was at 21 months when I fell back into the habit.

caughtinside

Nov 25, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Next Tuesday will be 5 months without alcohol for me; down from a high of a half gallon of gin or vodka per day. In those five months I can honestly say that I have not had the urge to drink even once.

Anyone can not drink or smoke for a while by white knuckling it, but the lasting changes come with an attitude shift.

Good luck!

WTF?? half a gallon a day? That's nuts!!

squierbypetzl

Nov 25, 2010, 6:18 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
edge wrote:

Good luck!

Does explain a few of his posts though. Crazy

Kidding, glad you're on the wagon man, half a gallon of hard licquor a day is insane.

uhoh

Nov 25, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Good luck!

Congrats, man. Killing the urge to drink is way harder than killing a tobacco addiction. Or so I believe. Stay strong.

the_climber

Nov 26, 2010, 8:45 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep it up man, it does get easier!

I've been there, so I hear what you're sayin'.... Don't give in and keep it up!

wonderwoman

Nov 26, 2010, 8:45 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:

Right. Nao.

How long have you been without a cigarette? I quit for a week, then went on the patch (low, low dose). It's now been 12 years for me. I had tried to quit dozens of times before and finally committed with a little patch help.

Hang in there! It's worth it to quit!

the_climber

Nov 26, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I had tried to quit dozens of times before and finally committed with a little patch help.

I did the quit dozens of times... only to start again. Managed to finally quit, then had one really bad day, started again. What helped me quit was a lung infection. By the time I got better I had successfully quit!

I would recommend the patch over a lung infection any day BTW. As far as the patch is concerned, I've heard from many people cutting back then going to a lower dosage of the patch seems to work much better than jumping on a stronger patch right away.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Nov 26, 2010, 10:03 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
Killing the urge to drink is way harder than killing a tobacco addiction. Or so I believe. Stay strong.

Actually untrue. Nicotine addiction is one of the toughest. I would say the only thing more tough to kick would be a sexual predilection that is causing someone such troubles that they must quit of suffer dire consequences.

https://www.nicotine-anonymous.org I know it's not much, and only 10 meetings in the entire state... but maybe OP can find some assistance with an online version of Nicotine Anonymous.

Good luck,OP.

Partner epoch

Nov 27, 2010, 1:04 AM
Post #17 of 34 (4000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
uhoh wrote:
Killing the urge to drink is way harder than killing a tobacco addiction. Or so I believe. Stay strong.

Actually untrue. Nicotine addiction is one of the toughest. I would say the only thing more tough to kick would be a sexual predilection that is causing someone such troubles that they must quit of suffer dire consequences.

https://www.nicotine-anonymous.org I know it's not much, and only 10 meetings in the entire state... but maybe OP can find some assistance with an online version of Nicotine Anonymous.

Good luck,OP.

So, you're saying that its just as hard to quit smoking as it is being a nympho? Anecdotal evidence, perhaps.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 27, 2010, 1:55 AM
Post #18 of 34 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
So, you're saying that its just as hard to quit smoking as it is being a nympho? Anecdotal evidence, perhaps.

Being in AA, in nyc, there were plenty of people cross-addicted and many groups of AA (in NYC) were not as strict on keeping it about alcohol as might occur in smaller communities. Food, sex, stealing, cocaine, narcotics, cigarettes - there were 12 Step meetings for all these, and more.

The sex addicts had more difficulty getting and staying clean than just about anybody else, and often preyed upon members of the other 12 Step groups. They also shared, sometimes liberally.

I can't think of any other addicted group, including meth and heroin addicts, that came close. Except for the cig smokers.

Nicotine suppliers are about as evil as can be imagined, and smokers trying to quit have very little support. Smoking is so intertwined in the fabric of their lives, the emotional attachment is quite deep. And then there is the physical addiction, with a withdrawal that is often described as being worse than heroins withdrawal.

notapplicable

Nov 27, 2010, 4:16 AM
Post #19 of 34 (3984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Nicotine suppliers are about as evil as can be imagined, and smokers trying to quit have very little support. Smoking is so intertwined in the fabric of their lives, the emotional attachment is quite deep. And then there is the physical addiction, with a withdrawal that is often described as being worse than heroins withdrawal.

Disgusting.

99.99% of cigarette, drug and alcohol addictions in this country are not the product of victimization. This whole mindset is masochistically counterproductive and cultivates notions of personal inadequacy while promoting dependency on others (often supernatural entities) to fix their problems. It is an abomination and the true bane of personal autonomy.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 27, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #20 of 34 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though it is not one most who have researched addiction would support.

Edit: Could you supply a source for the statistic you provided?

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Nov 27, 2010, 2:30 PM)

edge

Nov 28, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #21 of 34 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
edge wrote:

Good luck!

Not only was it nuts, it was the definition of insanity.

That rate of consumption lasted for over a year and a half, and was bookended with a couple years on either side of over a quart a day. Needless to say, I was a very high functioning alcoholic who had developed a very high tolerance, and also needless to say, it eventually caught up with me in multiple, negative ways.

As for all of the conjecture about which addictions are the hardest to kick, I think whatever addiction someone happens to have is the hardest for that individual. It is pointless to compare and contrast apples vs oranges when all you have available are pears.

Like I said, good luck to the OP!!!

And to the nymphos.

boymeetsrock

Nov 28, 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #22 of 34 (3928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Like I said, good luck to the OP!!!

And to the nymphos.

Fuck the nymphos.

Good luck to the OP though, and to you Edge.

petsfed

Nov 29, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #23 of 34 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its been over 2 years since I quit smoking. Wasn't a clean break though. Get me drunk enough and I start looking for one. Then I wake up the next morning and spend the next 3 days regretting it.

Something that helps is having a robust social circle that reinforces the good habits rather than the bad. If all of your friends smoke, it will be much harder to quit. Conversely, if all of your friends have been trying to get you to quit, hanging out with them will help a lot.

notapplicable

Nov 29, 2010, 3:23 AM
Post #24 of 34 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though it is not one most who have researched addiction would support.

Edit: Could you supply a source for the statistic you provided?

A source for my stats? HA! Your funny.

Now if you can explain how a smokers addiction, health effects and monetary loss is not 100% there own fault, that would be a neat trick.

Oh, and I freely admit that removing the "burden of responsibility" is an effective tool for helping people cope with addiction, but that doesn't make it true or accurate. Having the choice to smoke or drink as much as you want is a beautiful thing and is certainly one everyone should have. All you have to do is be responsible and accountable for that choice.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 29, 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #25 of 34 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] I want a cigarette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now if you can explain how a smokers addiction, health effects and monetary loss is not 100% there own fault, that would be a neat trick.

Though we all *know* various chemicals are addictive to some people, I don't believe many people pick up their first cigarette with the conscious decision to turn their lives over to it. And with addiction, that IS what occurs.

I sat in a meeting once listening to a guy - a bright, articulate, professionally successful, entertaining, interesting, attractive guy - talk about what it was like when he was addicted to heroin. He told of squatting in abandoned buildings filled with feces and filth, robbing people to get the drugs, selling his body, partnering up with undesirable types, uninterested in work, art, any number of the hobbies he enjoyed, ashamed to have his family see him...

He said "And people think I would CHOOSE to live that way?"

Once an addiction is in place, one does lose their freedom of choice over that addiction. It matters not that you do not believe that to be true, for many - many - who struggle with the problem, who actually have the experience - understand that it is so.

The GOOD news is that once a person is able to find a chink in the armour of addiction - go a day, an hour, an f-ing MINUTE without succumbing to the drug in question - their ability to choose resumes.

I am not a scientist, NA, but this point has been argued back and forth for years, and while you are well entitled to your opinion, the opposite belief has helped many, many, many more people to return to life unchained to the addiction.

In AA there is a saying that goes something like "So long as we don't say "No - Not ever," we have a chance to survive.(In that case it is referring to the balking on taking any of the 12 Steps, but I have found it is applicable to pretty much everything across the board).

Would it truly be so hard for you to take that step? To back off from your "No - Never" stance that addiction is not a personal choice?

In reply to:
Oh, and I freely admit that removing the "burden of responsibility" is an effective tool for helping people cope with addiction, but that doesn't make it true or accurate. Having the choice to smoke or drink as much as you want is a beautiful thing and is certainly one everyone should have. All you have to do is be responsible and accountable for that choice.

Aye - there's the rub. One IS responsible, and one IS held accountable.

You never had anyone - ever - accuse or even suggest you have behaved in a hurtful way to them and were unable to accept their position, only to realize down the road that they had a point? Not even on a much smaller scale than that of an addiction? Never? No, never?

Once a person resumes their ability to choose(if they are working a 12 Step gig), they take responsibility for their current actions, work to accept the past and make reparations, and use that experience to be of service within the world. Before the ability to choose is available, they are driven by a baser instinct that has overridden choice.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook