http://www.news24.com/...-to-mercury-20101201

cantbuymefriends

Dec 3, 2010, 1:06 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Freddy Mercury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Q: How is Elton John like an outboard motorboat?
A: They both have (had) a Mercury in their behind...

edge

Dec 3, 2010, 1:43 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:

http://www.news24.com/...-to-mercury-20101201 Homosexuality in Birds Connected to Mercury

Berlin - Exposure to mercury pollution is enough to turn some wild birds gay, researchers have concluded, according to a report in the science journal Nature on Wednesday.

Ecologists in Florida studied the mating behaviour of American white ibises, birds that are not known to engage in same-sex pairings, after exposing them to the hazardous heavy metal.

The researchers used 160 90-day-old nestlings for the study, in which three groups of 20 birds each were fed varying doses of mercury, while a fourth group was given none.

The mercury levels were kept within the range recorded in the wild.

According to Nature, the study found that mercury levels built up in the birds over several years and caused between 13%-15% of nests to produce no offspring - with high number found to be male- male pairings.

Researchers also noted that the ibises that had been exposed to mercury displayed less courtship behaviour.

Higher levels of mercury exposure resulted in an increase in the degree and persistence of homosexual pairing, according to Nature.

- SAPA

When I was in high school, our chemistry teacher used to break out a bottle of mercury and let us play with the small metal drops on our desktop. As fas as my use of the mercury goes, I cannot say that it made me homosexual, in fact I love both sexes of birds equally.

Avian bisexual? I love a good goose; guess that would explain my wood pecker. Or does my pintail position lead to woodcock? Also could be the reason I am loony and hard of heron. Or perhaps that is because i like puffin?

Better duck before someone gives me a swift shrike on the head, just for a lark.

Your tern.

airscape

Dec 3, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Freddy Mercury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
airscape wrote:

http://www.news24.com/...-to-mercury-20101201 Homosexuality in Birds Connected to Mercury

Berlin - Exposure to mercury pollution is enough to turn some wild birds gay, researchers have concluded, according to a report in the science journal Nature on Wednesday.

Ecologists in Florida studied the mating behaviour of American white ibises, birds that are not known to engage in same-sex pairings, after exposing them to the hazardous heavy metal.

The researchers used 160 90-day-old nestlings for the study, in which three groups of 20 birds each were fed varying doses of mercury, while a fourth group was given none.

According to Nature, the study found that mercury levels built up in the birds over several years and caused between 13%-15% of nests to produce no offspring - with high number found to be male- male pairings.

Researchers also noted that the ibises that had been exposed to mercury displayed less courtship behaviour.

Higher levels of mercury exposure resulted in an increase in the degree and persistence of homosexual pairing, according to Nature.

- SAPA

When I was in high school, our chemistry teacher used to break out a bottle of mercury and let us play with the small metal drops on our desktop. As fas as my use of the mercury goes, I cannot say that it made me homosexual, in fact I love both sexes of birds equally.

Avian bisexual? I love a good goose; guess that would explain my wood pecker. Or does my pintail position lead to woodcock? Also could be the reason I am loony and hard of heron. Or perhaps that is because i like puffin?

Better duck before someone gives me a swift shrike on the head, just for a lark.

Your tern.

I took a gander at your reply.

It's a hoot.

imnotclever

Dec 3, 2010, 2:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CAMHED you're needed here STAT!

wonderwoman

Dec 3, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] Freddy Mercury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am convinced that my cockatiel, Apache, is leading an alternative lifestyle. I got him a girlfriend to keep him company. He beat her up and insisted on sitting on her eggs, which he would never let her anywhere near. Poor, poor Lilly bird!

I don't know about his mercury exposure. Although I did help draft and work on the passage of the first mercury thermometer ban in Massachusetts way back on 11/15/00, so Hg elimination has a special place in my heart.

edge

Dec 3, 2010, 8:51 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Freddy Mercury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I am convinced that my cockatiel, Apache, is leading an alternative lifestyle. I got him a girlfriend to keep him company. He beat her up and insisted on sitting on her eggs, which he would never let her anywhere near. Poor, poor Lilly bird!

Sounds like Lily has grounds for a divorce.

wonderwoman wrote:
I don't know about his mercury exposure. Although I did help draft and work on the passage of the first mercury thermometer ban in Massachusetts way back on 11/15/00, so Hg elimination has a special place in my heart.

And the end result of this is that weather channels, websites, and meteorologists can never predict tomorrows temps with any degree of accuracy, ever. Thanks a lot!

wonderwoman

Dec 3, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Sounds like Lily has grounds for a divorce.

Sadly, Lilly became a statistic for domestic abuse when she was beat to death by her partner. She is now tattooed on my shoulder. Bizarre, but true.

edge wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

And the end result of this is that weather channels, websites, and meteorologists can never predict tomorrows temps with any degree of accuracy, ever. Thanks a lot!

They never knew what they were doing anyhoo!

airscape

Dec 4, 2010, 6:46 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being exposed to mercury is a butthurtz.

Partner camhead

Dec 5, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
airscape wrote:

- SAPA

Your tern.

TROPHY!!!111

traddad

Dec 5, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I track mercury in fish. I figure this might be good for unlimited funding from our homophobic State Legislature.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook