RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

arock1234

Dec 23, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut

rope i need help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what is the diffrence between static and dynamic rope? which is better?

[ This Message was edited by: arock1234 on 2002-12-23 11:43 ]

climbhigh23

Dec 23, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut

rope i need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynamic stretches, static don't.

is this just a troll or what????? how many threads do you need to start asking about shoes and harnesses anyway?

madclimberboy

Dec 23, 2002, 8:03 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynamic ropes absorb a fall and stretch or "give" when you pull on them. Static ropes on the other hand do not stretch one bit when you pull on them, and they subsequentally don't absorb a fall. Which is better? Well, it all depends on which purpose you plan to use the rope for. Obviously, while leading or toproping, you wantthe rope to absorb for your fall, so you must use a dynamic rope. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a static rope as a tie-in that you may fall on. A good width for a single dynamic rope is about 10-11mm. (11mm. is not that great for leading because it is heavy, so if you're leading it's best to go with a 10.6mm. or lower rope). Static rope is used for setting anchors so that it intentionally doesn'tabsorb your fall. It is useful to have about 1 or more 20-foot 7mm width cord for setting a toprope or an anchor at the top of a pitch while leading. You're using staticcord because this absorbs no force whatsoever, when you weight it, and that's what you want so when you fall, you're not going to have more of a bounce than what you expected. A static rope with the same diameter as a regular dynamic rope sometimes is used for hauling up all your stuff (Haulbag, ledge, etc.) on a multi-pitch climb. Just make sure you know which rope is which (maybe by labeling them in some way -- make sure you know how to safely and effectively label a rope though) so you don't endanger your life by climbing with or setting your top anchors with the wrong rope.
Hope this helps.

Matt

Partner cracklover

Dec 23, 2002, 8:03 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In defense of arock1234, static vs. dynamic rope is not mentioned in the dictionary on this site, nor either of the two dictionaries linked to tradgirl.com. I don't doubt that a more thorough google search would give a pretty good answer, but hey, this is the beginner area, so may as well just answer the question.

Arock - climbhigh pretty much explained it: static rope has minimal stretch - so a hard fall on it will produce very hard decelleration - resulting in either broken bones, broken rope, or both. Therefore, any circumstances where a hard fall may happen (such as lead climbing) you would want to avoid using static ropes. They can be used for such things as repelling and toprope setups.

Dynamic ropes stretch much more. They are designed to take a serious fall and slow it down much more gradually - putting less stress on both climber and rope. They are used for such things as lead climbing.

Hope that helps. More information on things like stretch percentage and recommended usage is probably available from rope manufacturers like sterling (www.sterlingropes.com), mammut, etc.

stevematthys

Dec 24, 2002, 6:32 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep basically,

dynamic rope=rope you can take a fall on

static=rope that you can not take a fall on and is mainly used for hauling and top roping applications

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook