RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

muneutrino

Jan 25, 2011, 7:41 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1928 views)
Shortcut

staying in shape
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in a place where it generally rains straight through the winter months and it's tough to get a good day to go climbing. anybody have any good tips for staying in shape for climbing while one can't actually climb? joining a gym seemed obvious to me but I've heard people say that climbing indoors is way different and can mess up your technique for outdoors. is it better to go climb in a gym or just work out, or what?

enigma

Jan 25, 2011, 7:57 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [muneutrino] staying in shape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

muneutrino wrote:
I live in a place where it generally rains straight through the winter months and it's tough to get a good day to go climbing. anybody have any good tips for staying in shape for climbing while one can't actually climb? joining a gym seemed obvious to me but I've heard people say that climbing indoors is way different and can mess up your technique for outdoors. is it better to go climb in a gym or just work out, or what?

I would say go to a climbing gym. I went to one for about a year before climbing outside. It was cold where I lived as well. You can also boulder in a gym if you don't have a partner alone.
Then when spring comes you can go outside. Good Luck.

Kartessa

Jan 25, 2011, 1:57 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey dood, where you from?

Gyms are a good option when the weather is craptastic. You're still pulling moves and practicing your technique. Oh, and most importantly: You're getting to know the locals which will prevent you from posting a "I want to learn how to climb but can't find anyone to teach me" thread.

muneutrino

Jan 25, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] staying in shape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in seattle. I've been climbing outside for a little while now, with a few different people, but haven't really been able to find someone to climb with consistently (or someone more knowledgeable) so it's been tough to move beyond basic sport stuff, and I definitely want to expand my repertoire further than that. gyms are the place to find climbing partners, huh? I know of vertical world and stone gardens out here - anyone in the seattle area care to recommend one over the other? my experience of climbing indoors has admittedly been pretending to be shopping for rock shoes at REI so I can climb their wall when the weather's bad 8/

spikeddem

Jan 25, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joining a gym is far and away your best option. You will not be practicing any of your outdoor route reading skills, but the movement practice will be invaluable over something like a general fitness program.

kazanthink

Jan 25, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for sure its all about the gym if you cant hit real rock. I only knew a couple people who climbed but then I became a regular at the gym and now I have a ton of people I can climb with. its a great way to socialize with others and keep strong when you cant be outside. as far as technique goes I have learned stuff in the gym and taken it to the outside so I dont feel like it would hurt the more you climb the better you will get whether its in or out it will eventually translate least I think so.

coastal_climber

Jan 25, 2011, 7:56 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kazanthink] staying in shape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personally, a lot of running, a gym session every second week or so, and some ice keeps me plenty strong.

ericande

Jan 26, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

muneutrino wrote:
I live in seattle. I've been climbing outside for a little while now, with a few different people, but haven't really been able to find someone to climb with consistently (or someone more knowledgeable) so it's been tough to move beyond basic sport stuff, and I definitely want to expand my repertoire further than that. gyms are the place to find climbing partners, huh? I know of vertical world and stone gardens out here - anyone in the seattle area care to recommend one over the other? my experience of climbing indoors has admittedly been pretending to be shopping for rock shoes at REI so I can climb their wall when the weather's bad 8/

I live in Seattle as well, just started climbing a couple months ago and joined Vertical World. I can't help you with a more knowledgeable partner but it is a good way to stay (or in my case, get into) climbing shape. All the people I've met there are cool, we'll see how the partner thing works out when it warms up a bit.

Let me know if you ever want a belay partner there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook