RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ericande

Feb 9, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 10 (8054 views)
Shortcut

Zion or Bryce Canyon?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park in September, I'll have one day in either park to spend climbing. This trip was planned before I got into climbing so I don't have more time for it or the option to go elsewhere. Is either place a 'can't miss' spot? Ideally looking for sport routes between 5.8 and 'easier' 5.11s, possibly guided.

jomagam

Feb 9, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #2 of 10 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ericande] Zion or Bryce Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much time did you spend searching on the Internet before posting ?

ericande

Feb 9, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Zion or Bryce Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

About 10 minutes.

I've looked at mountproject.com and this site but neither lists a ton of routes at either place and I saw comments about crappy rock. Otherwise google searches came up with mostly ads for services and I'm sure the say nothing but good things. I'm sure a guidebook to both places would answer my questions but this seems a bit easier to start my search...

jomagam

Feb 9, 2011, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 10 (8032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's no climbing in Bryce for reasons you mentioned. Zion is all trad or bouldering. I suppose you could get a guide to take you up on something in Zion. It shouldn't matter if you're top roping trad, not sport.

ericande

Feb 9, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #5 of 10 (8029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I think I'll just stay an extra night in Vegas and go to Red Rocks (which I was able to find plenty of info on.)

gmggg

Feb 9, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #6 of 10 (8019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
There's no climbing in Bryce for reasons you mentioned. Zion is all trad or bouldering. I suppose you could get a guide to take you up on something in Zion. It shouldn't matter if you're top roping trad, not sport.

Umm...

Except for Kolob Canyon. There isn't a ton of routes there but enough for one day to be sure. I'm not sure on the upper or lower bounds of the sport climbs, but I climbed a healthy number of 10's and 11's.

If the OP has never been to any of the areas I guess I would suggest he stick to Red Rocks since he can pack a lot of climbing into one day. But if he wanted to check out something new (and he'd already climbed a bit at Red Rocks) then I'd suggest Zion.

gmggg

Feb 9, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #7 of 10 (8016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ericande wrote:
I'll be in Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park in September, I'll have one day in either park to spend climbing. This trip was planned before I got into climbing so I don't have more time for it or the option to go elsewhere. Is either place a 'can't miss' spot? Ideally looking for sport routes between 5.8 and 'easier' 5.11s, possibly guided.

Wait, I just read this. You should definitely go to Red Rocks.

ericande

Feb 9, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Zion or Bryce Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
ericande wrote:

I go to Vegas a couple times a year so I knew I could get back to Red Rocks if I missed it. I'm not sure if I'll ever be in Zion or Bryce again so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss anything.

gmggg

Feb 9, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #9 of 10 (8004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ericande wrote:
gmggg wrote:
ericande wrote:

I go to Vegas a couple times a year so I knew I could get back to Red Rocks if I missed it. I'm not sure if I'll ever be in Zion or Bryce again so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss anything.

If you're pretty new to climbing I'm not sure how much fun Kolob would be. But it's a really beautiful area and if you're the adventurous sort you could probably have a good time even if you got shut down on all of the climbs you tried.

If you want to get some climbing miles in then I would still go with Red Rocks.

climbingtrash

Feb 15, 2011, 1:18 PM
Post #10 of 10 (7881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, there's no climbing in Bryce Canyon. You'll see why when you visit. Zion on the other hand has a tone of climbing but not a lot in the way of moderate/easy sport routes. I work for a couple of local guide companies in Zion. But Zion National Park doesn't allow guides for Rock climbing or Canyoneering. But there are plenty of options for what you're looking for in the surrounding area. PM me if you want more info.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook