RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

dluk1601

Feb 11, 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #1 of 13 (8741 views)
Shortcut

Levitation 29
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was thinking of getting on Levi 29 at the end of the month. Does anyone know if I need two ropes to rap or will one 70m make it? Also, why can't you rap it if you go to the summit? Or can you?

csproul

Feb 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #2 of 13 (8739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dluk1601] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dluk1601 wrote:
I was thinking of getting on Levi 29 at the end of the month. Does anyone know if I need two ropes to rap or will one 70m make it? Also, why can't you rap it if you go to the summit? Or can you?
You are only capable of rapping the route if you can also figure out the proper forum in which to post this question. Sorry, just being a bit of an ass. Hopefully VTG will see this thread and be able to answer your question (after it's moved to the proper place, of course).

byran

Feb 12, 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #3 of 13 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no "summit" to Levitation 29. You can top out on some big ledges and do the walk-off, but anything resembling a summit would be a long long scramble away.

That said, if you want to do the final pitch of the climb (which is just some easy 5th class scrambling and not that great), you could probably find some place to rig an anchor and rap back down to the last bolted belay. You'd need to bring a long length of webbing to sling a block probably, maybe leave a nut, I'm not sure. I kind of doubt it would be worth the trouble.

I remember bringing two ropes and left one hanging at the pitch before the "enduro crux", so the top half of the route can be rapped with one line. I'm assuming we brought a tag line for a reason though so the bottom half must require two ropes, unless the beta we had was just off.

The last couple times I've climbed Eagle Wall I've done the walk off, and I prefer it to the rappels although it does take a bit longer.

Edit: I checked the MP page and people are saying the raps go with one 70m, but the rap from p4 -> p3 is apparently really close so be careful
http://mountainproject.com/...eek_canyon/105732443

(This post was edited by byran on Feb 12, 2011, 12:15 AM)

dluk1601

Feb 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #4 of 13 (8617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you very much Byran. That was really helpful.

vegastradguy

Feb 13, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #5 of 13 (8512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you can rap Levitation with a 70m, but it should be a new one. There are so many bolts, though, and theres a place about 20' above the top of P3 you could stop, back up one of the bolts with some gear, and do a single rope rap...just leave a biner. One biner- a couple ounces, one rope- 8-10lbs.

In terms of summit- you can scramble up to the top of the formation and back down to the last anchor easily- we did this when I did it.

Descent options: You can rappel the route, you can top out and walk off (LONG), or you can top out and walk uphill for 10 minutes and take a sneaky 4 single rope rap that will drop you into the bowls below the black orpheus descent (about 10 minutes from the base of Levitation). If I were going to do it again, I'd probably choose the latter- its super easy, scenic, and avoids any rope snags that you might get rappelling the route.

If you need any more beta, feel free to pm me.

deschamps1000

Feb 13, 2011, 4:13 AM
Post #6 of 13 (8465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do the walk-off. It's worth it, very nice. Makes for a more complete day too.

USnavy

Feb 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #7 of 13 (8412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
There are so many bolts, though, and theres a place about 20' above the top of P3 you could stop, back up one of the bolts with some gear, and do a single rope rap...just leave a biner.
If you build an anchor with one bolt and some gear and than rap off it, you are leaving more than just a biner. That is unless you are going to attach part of the rope to the triggers on the cams and pull them at the next belay. Wink

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 13, 2011, 11:39 AM)

vegastradguy

Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
There are so many bolts, though, and theres a place about 20' above the top of P3 you could stop, back up one of the bolts with some gear, and do a single rope rap...just leave a biner.
If you build an anchor with one bolt and some gear and than rap off it, you are leaving more than just a biner. That is unless you are going to attach part of the rope to the triggers on the cams and pull them at the next belay. Wink

if you're stupid enough to think you leave the cam there after the first person rappels, then you deserve to lose the cam.

marc801

Feb 13, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #9 of 13 (8352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
if you're stupid enough to think you leave the cam there after the first person rappels, then you deserve to lose the cam.
OMFG! The last person raps off a single bolt!!!! Are you fuckin' nuts??!!?? YER GONNA DIE!!!!

Hey, *someone* had to say it! Wink

Apparently USNavy also doesn't realize there is gear other than cams available.

vegastradguy

Feb 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #10 of 13 (8314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
OMFG! The last person raps off a single bolt!!!! Are you fuckin' nuts??!!?? YER GONNA DIE!!!!

or that the first person down ties the rope off to the belay bolts below so the second does rap off a single bolt.

marc801

Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #11 of 13 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
marc801 wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

or that the first person down ties the rope off to the belay bolts below so the second does rap off a single bolt.
I'd have gladly rapped off a single bolt the time I had no choice but to rap off a single Chouinard #5 stopper. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff for USN to still learn.

wonderwoman

Mar 1, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #12 of 13 (8012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from Trad Climbing to West Coast by WW.

I am also interested in beta on how to get down from this climb. I'm headed to Vegas in 2 weeks and entertaining the idea of getting on. However, a friend of mine said that one misstep of the descent would be a doozey. Would love to know if he was just plain lost or if we should plan on rapping rather than finishing.

vegastradguy

Mar 1, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 13 (8000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Levitation 29 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Moved from Trad Climbing to West Coast by WW.

I am also interested in beta on how to get down from this climb. I'm headed to Vegas in 2 weeks and entertaining the idea of getting on. However, a friend of mine said that one misstep of the descent would be a doozey. Would love to know if he was just plain lost or if we should plan on rapping rather than finishing.

shoot me a pm, i can give you all your options. none of them are a big deal.

the biggest trick for this one to go smoothly is approaching it- and its no big deal either.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook