Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #1 of 95 (11757 views)
Shortcut

Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How to fall? This is not as common a beginner question as "What shoes do I buy?", "Am I ready to start leading?", or "I have been climbing for 2 weeks and climb V6, is that good?". But...it comes up every once in a while.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2478526;#2478526

Is falling a skill? Yes, just like walking or skipping is. Most people can walk or skip down the street without tripping over themselves, but some of us (I mean you) have trouble with this relatively simple task.

In my experience, in both observation and instruction, most people "get it." I don't really have to go over "How to fall." But, every once in a while I witness someone who needs this instruction, and has what I like to call "Dead Fish Syndrome." This means when it comes time to fall, their body just goes limp and they do not actively try to keep themselves upright. This usually results in them flipping over. They ALWAYS look surprised. I have witnessed this a handful of times over the years and it's always pretty dramatic. It happened in the gym the other night. He knew he was going to fall, let go, flipped over, got a bad burn on his back, and squished his, um... businessShocked.

Why does this happen? Is is TOO much faith in the equipment? Being TOO top-heavy for their own good? Lack of awareness of gravity? Lack of coordination? Inner ear infection?

Sit harnesses that we all wear were designed to make climbing safer. I have never worn a swami belt and I am pretty sure that I would not want to take a fall in one. But, did you know that with a sit harness you are much more likely to flip over? You won't break any ribs or crush your spleen, but who wants to flip over and bash their head on the rock? Something to think about.

I teach Physical Education grades K-6. Usually by first, maybe 2nd grade(which is late), everyone can skip. Most get it by Kindergarten. When they can't it's a good sign of immature or inadequate overall motor ability. Are these the same kids that might start climbing later in life and are flipping over when taking a supposedly "normal", routine fall?

There has been a lot of talk about falling over the years, but it always centers around two things: Fear and Safety.

1. Fear - Is it irrational or justified. If it's irrational then how to I get over it? The Rock Warriors way books and forum have tons of info on this.

2. Safety - Is the rope behind my leg? How's my pro? Will I hit anything?

I propose to add a new discussion, for those of you who can't skip:

3. Mechanics - Keep body tension and balance in the right places to insure that your body stays upright. If you fall in a less than ideal position, then you must fight against gravity and momentum to get yourself upright. As you start to fall, you can also sometimes use the wall itself to get yourself to an upright position.

Now I have never skydived, but I know that you don't just fall. You need to get in the proper position to control your descent. When falling in climbing, it's the same, you just have a much smaller window to do it.

Once in an upright position, you should relax with your arms and legs bent to absorb any impact, should it come.

Discuss.

Josh

gmggg

Mar 24, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 95 (11747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
How to fall? This is not as common a beginner question as "What shoes do I buy?", "Am I ready to start leading?", or "I have been climbing for 2 weeks and climb V6, is that good?". But...it comes up every once in a while.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2478526;#2478526

Is falling a skill? Yes, just like walking or skipping is. Most people can walk or skip down the street without tripping over themselves, but some of us (I mean you) have trouble with this relatively simple task.

In my experience, in both observation and instruction, most people "get it." I don't really have to go over "How to fall." But, every once in a while I witness someone who needs this instruction, and has what I like to call "Dead Fish Syndrome." This means when it comes time to fall, their body just goes limp and they do not actively try to keep themselves upright. This usually results in them flipping over. They ALWAYS look surprised. I have witnessed this a handful of times over the years and it's always pretty dramatic. It happened in the gym the other night. He knew he was going to fall, let go, flipped over, got a bad burn on his back, and squished his, um... businessShocked.

Why does this happen? Is is TOO much faith in the equipment? Being TOO top-heavy for their own good? Lack of awareness of gravity? Lack of coordination? Inner ear infection?

Sit harnesses that we all wear were designed to make climbing safer. I have never worn a swami belt and I am pretty sure that I would not want to take a fall in one. But, did you know that with a sit harness you are much more likely to flip over? You won't break any ribs or crush your spleen, but who wants to flip over and bash their head on the rock? Something to think about.

I teach Physical Education grades K-6. Usually by first, maybe 2nd grade(which is late), everyone can skip. Most get it by Kindergarten. When they can't it's a good sign of immature or inadequate overall motor ability. Are these the same kids that might start climbing later in life and are flipping over when taking a supposedly "normal", routine fall?

There has been a lot of talk about falling over the years, but it always centers around two things: Fear and Safety.

1. Fear - Is it irrational or justified. If it's irrational then how to I get over it? The Rock Warriors way books and forum have tons of info on this.

2. Safety - Is the rope behind my leg? How's my pro? Will I hit anything?

3. Mechanics - Keep body tension and balance in the right places to insure that your body stays upright. If you fall in a less than ideal position, then you must fight against gravity and momentum to get yourself upright. As you start to fall, you can also sometimes use the wall itself to get yourself to an upright position.

Now I have never skydived, but I know that you don't just fall. You need to get in the proper position to control your descent. When falling in climbing, it's the same, you just have a much smaller window to do it.

Once in an upright position, you should relax with your arms and legs bent to absorb any impact, should it come.

Discuss.

Josh

Nice post!

I'd just add that there is a correct and incorrect way to wear a harness. If you habitually refuse to wear your waist strap at your waist and just wrap it around your hips then you are much more unbalanced in the harness.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #3 of 95 (11699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:

Nice post!

I'd just add that there is a correct and incorrect way to wear a harness. If you habitually refuse to wear your waist strap at your waist and just wrap it around your hips then you are much more unbalanced in the harness.

You mean there is a group of people out there that purposely wear there harnesses too low? Is this like the kids that wear their pants low, showing off their nice undies?

I blame it on hip-hop.Wink

Josh

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 24, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #4 of 95 (11685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Discuss.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone fall in what I would call a "dead fish". Deer in headlights? Stone statue? Screaming Banshee? With the exception of someone completely busting their ass to the point of complete total body exhaustion (e.g. offwidth or other awkward tard climbing) and simply giving up, most people that I've seen fall poorly go stiff.

justroberto

Mar 24, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #5 of 95 (11671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Discuss.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone fall in what I would call a "dead fish". Deer in headlights? Stone statue? Screaming Banshee? With the exception of someone completely busting their ass to the point of complete total body exhaustion (e.g. offwidth or other awkward tard climbing) and simply giving up, most people that I've seen fall poorly go stiff.

That's called the "fainting goat."

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 9:00 PM
Post #6 of 95 (11560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

3. Mechanics - Keep body tension and balance in the right places to insure that your body stays upright. If you fall in a less than ideal position, then you must fight against gravity and momentum to get yourself upright.

I'm curious as to specifically how you can use body tension and balance to insure that your body stays upright in light of the law of conservation of angular momentum.

In reply to:
As you start to fall, you can also sometimes use the wall itself to get yourself to an upright position.

That at least doesn't violate any physical laws.

In reply to:

You can't compare the two. In skydiving, you push against air resistance to change the orientation of your body in space. In a rock climbing fall, you never build up enough speed to use air resistance to your advantage—or if you do I'd suggest your use the relative wind to flip over onto your back, so that at least you don't have to watch what's about to happen to you.

In reply to:

That much is true, but you have to explain how, once you lose contact with the rock, how you can do anything at all to stabilize your body position if you leave the wall with any rotational momentum.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 24, 2011, 9:01 PM)

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 24, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #7 of 95 (11535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
gmggg wrote:

Nice post!

You mean there is a group of people out there that purposely wear there harnesses too low? Is this like the kids that wear their pants low, showing off their nice undies?

I blame it on hip-hop.Wink

Josh

Aint nothing to it gangster rap made him do it!

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #8 of 95 (11518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

3. Mechanics - Keep body tension and balance in the right places to insure that your body stays upright. If you fall in a less than ideal position, then you must fight against gravity and momentum to get yourself upright.

I'm curious as to specifically how you can use body tension and balance to insure that your body stays upright in light of the law of conservation of angular momentum.

In reply to:
As you start to fall, you can also sometimes use the wall itself to get yourself to an upright position.

In reply to:

You can't compare the two. In skydiving, you push against air resistance to change the orientation of your body in space. In a rock climbing fall, you never build up enough speed to use air resistance to your advantage—or if you do I'd suggest your use the relative wind to flip over onto your back, so that at least you don't have to watch what's about to happen to you.

In reply to:

That much is true, but you have to explain how, once you lose contact with the rock, how you can do anything at all to stabilize your body position if you leave the wall with any rotational momentum.

Jay

Well, what do you know! I thought for sure you killfiled me since we hadn't battled in a while.

As for the actual physics of it, you would know better then me, but I do know that it's a conscious effort to keep myself upright in a fall. I was merely guessing at a phenomenon which I have witnessed on a few different occasions. And I'm not talking about awkward falls, I'm talking about what start off as normal, routine falls.

Josh

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 24, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 95 (11490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know the longer amount of rope out lessens the fallfactor. Which if I understand correctly the definition of is

Fall factor: A measure of the severity of a fall, calculated by dividing the length of the fall by the length of the rope in the system; the greater the fall factor, the greater the impact force on the anchors, climber, and belayer.

So if you are trad climbing and you think that your nuts aren't sloid, but you have a few in there and close together they can be cliped to with a cordelette
(a multi piece connection). Which if used properly
would distribute the weight of a falling climber evenly
on all placements. One dicy placement might not hold. Three dicy placements equalized can provide a sugnifigantly larger ammount of safty when holding a falling climber.

With all that physics being taken as understood.
A fall facter of 2 is not the fall that you want to be praticing. Factoring your fall is easy but don't let the number 2 be missleading. A longer fall might be more dangerous because there's a greater chance of hitting things, but the impact forces generated are no worse. It is the hard falls close to the ground and 10' off the anchor that that produce a wiplash effect when your kinetic energy(momentum) is abruptly stopped. With a longer amount of rope out the forces distributed onto an anchor catching a falling climber will be decreased.

(This post was edited by KeitaroHoshi on Mar 24, 2011, 10:16 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #10 of 95 (11487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

In thinking more about this and awkward falls I have taken, it does take something to change the momentum like tapping the wall.

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #11 of 95 (11483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KeitaroHoshi] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

KeitaroHoshi wrote:
I know the longer amount of rope out lessens the fallfactor. Which if I understand correctly the definition of is

Fall factor: A measure of the severity of a fall, calculated by dividing the length of the fall by the length of the rope in the system; the greater the fall factor, the greater the impact force on the anchors, climber, and belayer.

So if you are trad climbing and you think that your nuts aren't sloid, but you have a few in there and close together they can be cliped to with a cordelette
on all placements. One dicy placement might not hold. Three dicy placements equalized can provide a sugnifigantly larger ammount of safty when holding a falling climber.

What does any of that have to do with anything in this thread?

Josh

wwalt822

Mar 24, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #12 of 95 (11462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Jay

Ask any cat how it flips around if it falls wrong.

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #13 of 95 (11457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
KeitaroHoshi wrote:

Josh
I was trying to help.
Go ask Craig Luben what it has to do with it.
Ass hole.

(This post was edited by KeitaroHoshi on Mar 24, 2011, 10:27 PM)

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 24, 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #14 of 95 (11455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

shotwell

Mar 24, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #15 of 95 (11451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh,

For most straight forward falls I don't find that you need to make any effort to stay upright. Perhaps you have a harness that just doesn't fit you properly? If I recall correctly, Metolius claims this is caused by the length of the 'rise' in your harness, explained briefly in the following link.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...o-fit_a_harness.html

I can't really speak to the veracity of these claims. Despite wearing at least 10 different harnesses over my career, I never found any to put me in that dead fish position. This is the only reasonable explanation I've found to why it happens though.

EDIT: After reading the OP again, it seems like you're not the one with the harness fitting incorrectly. My bad. However, this *could* be the issue in the 'dead fish' you observe. I agree that in awkward falls, all you can do is try to get you body back straight before you leave the wall. If you're upside down, sucking your head in to your chest may make a difference as well.

(This post was edited by shotwell on Mar 24, 2011, 10:29 PM)

blondgecko

Mar 24, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #16 of 95 (11422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KeitaroHoshi] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

KeitaroHoshi wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
KeitaroHoshi wrote:

Josh
I was trying to help.
Go ask Craig Luben what it has to do with it.
Ass hole.

Your post was entirely off topic, and your gratuitous insult was uncalled for. Save the flames for something more deserving, 'k?

blondgecko

Mar 24, 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #17 of 95 (11413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

You can't do much about any rotational momentum you leave the wall with (except try to minimise it before you leave the wall) but you can substantially change the position of your centre of gravity relative to your tie-in point - which, when the rope comes taught, becomes your pivot point.

Want to flip over for sure? Pull your legs up and raise your arms so that your centre of gravity is well above the pivot point. Want to remain upright? Legs extended (slightly bent, of course, to absorb the impact), arms down by you side, and perhaps tuck your upper body forward. Everything to try to get your centre of gravity below your hips.

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #18 of 95 (11407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your quoting me and leaving out half of my post.

Then let me guess your next step is to play your trump card?

Well I'll just play it like this....your not invited.

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #19 of 95 (11407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Jay

I know how cats do it, and I don't think that you or I can do what they do.

Jay

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #20 of 95 (11404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

In thinking more about this and awkward falls I have taken, it does take something to change the momentum like tapping the wall.

Josh

I think so to, and I also think that if you find yourself falling over backward, that grabbing the rope above your tie-in knot can help keep you upright, even though every book tells you not to do this.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 PM)

joeforte

Mar 24, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #21 of 95 (11403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

You can't do much about any rotational momentum you leave the wall with (except try to minimise it before you leave the wall) but you can substantially change the position of your centre of gravity relative to your tie-in point - which, when the rope comes taught, becomes your pivot point.

Want to flip over for sure? Pull your legs up and raise your arms so that your centre of gravity is well above the pivot point. Want to remain upright? Legs extended (slightly bent, of course, to absorb the impact), arms down by you side, and perhaps tuck your upper body forward. Everything to try to get your centre of gravity below your hips.

I'm not so sure that is going to do much, because gravity just pulls downward. It does not induce an angular moment force, nomatter where your CG is located.

Similar to a cat, however, you can change your angular momentum by using body english, AKA "rolling down the windows".

shotwell

Mar 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #22 of 95 (11400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KeitaroHoshi wrote:
Your quoting me and leaving out half of my post.

Then let me guess your next step is to play your trump card?

Well I'll just play it like this....your not invited.

He quoted your original, unedited post. You didn't post the second half until after he quoted. FYI, he can't quote what you hadn't written.

Regardless, your post is still tangential to the topic. No reason to be calling him names.

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #23 of 95 (11394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Falling, sit harnesses, and the "Dead Fish" syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
Similar to a cat, however, you can change your angular momentum by using body english, AKA "rolling down the windows".

No, you definitely can't do a think about your total angular momentum without outside help, nor can a cat. What a cat can do is to induce an increase in the angular momentum of its upper body in one direction at the cost of inducing a small angular momentum of its lower body in the other direction (and then to quickly reverse the process), but it can do that only because it can twist its spine by so much (I think the younger of my cats twist around like 270 degrees).

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 24, 2011, 10:58 PM)

joeforte

Mar 24, 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #24 of 95 (11386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do people instinctively roll down the windows in so many different sports? If you watch closely, they actually roll them up or down, depending on if they need to adjust fore or aft.

TheRucat

Mar 24, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #25 of 95 (11382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Jay

I just asked my cat and all it did was walk away.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook