Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

synrock

Apr 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #26 of 29 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Best wall type/material? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yep epoxy. This system makes it easy to have many many many different shapes since only the center part needs to change.

cassufrass

Jun 8, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #27 of 29 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] Best wall type/material? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also opening a bouldering gym along with 2 partners. We are currently researching materials to build the gym. I'm only starting to look at prices, and my best estimate for materials is $50,000 I found that number by using a little over 1/2 the cost of a standard climbing gym. I just joined this forum today to find out more information on walls. I'd be interested in hearing about your product, email me any time. -cassspade@gmail.com

ThanksBare walls with lots of holds are much more cost effective than an eldo wall. But if you want realistic climbing that means you need the feet to resemble the stuff you climb on outdoors. Modular holds simply suck at duplicating outdoor foot holds or intermediates. Even lots of tiny screw-ons aren't very realistic and they soon polish to glass and are very unpleasant to climb on. A textured, featured eldo wall can give you some realistic moves but you can't change it and it costs a fortune for fixed realism you quickly get bored with.

There is an alternative. Rockpads - see photo. Joe's Valley - HP-40 quality sticky sandstone features that you screw on. The sticky sandstone feature is surrounded by a slick, no step poly outer forcing the climber to step into the feature and not blindly step down on the hold-wall join.

If you have ever watched a gym-learned climber use their feet they don't even bother to look at the hold. They just put their feet above the hold and slide it down to the join. When these climbers get outside they are clueless as to what actually constitutes a foothold and how to use it.

Rockpads not only provide amazingly realistic feet but also realistic crimps, edges, slopers and cracks for your hands. With a bunch of these you can turn a simple plywood vertical wall into something really fun and realistic to climb on. In fact - a simple plywood wall with a "gloss" paint finish and lots of these will give the most realistic climbing experience possible inside.

Now, I have a few questions - as a prospective gym owner how much would you be willing to pay for these things and does anyone want to try some of these things out as I am looking for beta testers?

[.image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/forum/files/image.gif[/image][/quote]

(This post was edited by cassufrass on Jun 8, 2011, 3:19 PM)

synrock

Jun 10, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #28 of 29 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cassufrass] Best wall type/material? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey - do you want some samples?

guangzhou

Jun 11, 2011, 5:10 AM
Post #29 of 29 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cassufrass] Best wall type/material? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cassufrass wrote:
I am also opening a bouldering gym along with 2 partners. We are currently researching materials to build the gym. I'm only starting to look at prices, and my best estimate for materials is $50,000 I found that number by using a little over 1/2 the cost of a standard climbing gym. I just joined this forum today to find out more information on walls. I'd be interested in hearing about your product, email me any time. -cassspade@gmail.com

Thanks{/quote]

Building a climbing gym for 100,000, seems very cheap to me. Ar you in the US? If so, you may need to reconsider you numbers. Walls and floor padding are apiece of the puzzle, but they are other cost related to construction firts, then operating.

[quote]Bare walls with lots of holds are much more cost effective than an eldo wall. But if you want realistic climbing that means you need the feet to resemble the stuff you climb on outdoors. Modular holds simply suck at duplicating outdoor foot holds or intermediates. Even lots of tiny screw-ons aren't very realistic and they soon polish to glass and are very unpleasant to climb on. A textured, featured eldo wall can give you some realistic moves but you can't change it and it costs a fortune for fixed realism you quickly get bored with.[/quote]

I like textured wall from an operations point of view, very versitile for sure.

[quote]There is an alternative. Rockpads - see photo. Joe's Valley - HP-40 quality sticky sandstone features that you screw on. The sticky sandstone feature is surrounded by a slick, no step poly outer forcing the climber to step into the feature and not blindly step down on the hold-wall join.

If you have ever watched a gym-learned climber use their feet they don't even bother to look at the hold. They just put their feet above the hold and slide it down to the join. When these climbers get outside they are clueless as to what actually constitutes a foothold and how to use it.

Rockpads not only provide amazingly realistic feet but also realistic crimps, edges, slopers and cracks for your hands. With a bunch of these you can turn a simple plywood vertical wall into something really fun and realistic to climb on. In fact - a simple plywood wall with a "gloss" paint finish and lots of these will give the most realistic climbing experience possible inside.

Now, I have a few questions - as a prospective gym owner how much would you be willing to pay for these things and does anyone want to try some of these things out as I am looking for beta testers?

[.image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/forum/files/image.gif[/image][/quote][/quote]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook