RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

unga123

Apr 22, 2011, 3:47 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Managing rope in a TR setup
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, this might be a dumb question because i might be missing something really obvious, but here goes.

So i set up my top rope anchor and it's solid. I'm at the top of the route where the anchor is, and i want to do a slingshot belay, (belayer and climber start on ground). But to get back down to the base of the climb, i have a medium long walk back. How do i manage the rope to have both sides through the anchor system? I feel like the best bet is to clip the rope into the anchor at the midway point and drop both sides of the rope?
Sorry if this is a dumb question. And since everyone seems to think this in the beginner forums, no, I'm not a troll.

tower_climber

Apr 22, 2011, 6:22 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unga123] Managing rope in a TR setup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that would work.

Why not rappel down?

byran

Apr 22, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the rope gets hung up on the rock when you toss the ends down, you will need to rappel down to free it.

viciado

Apr 22, 2011, 8:47 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have the basic idea. Find the middle (I personally don't like to rely on mid marks and always start from the ends), clip, and toss. You want to be sure to re-check your anchor system before descending.

Are both ends on the ground? (visually confirm or communicate with folks on the ground)
Is the masterpoint extended over the edge and the rope running free?
Are soft goods protected from sharp or abrasive edges.
Is all hardware aligned/loaded properly along the major axis?

Rappeling was mentioned above. You have to make the choice whether to walk down or rappel. In general, most folks consider walking to be the safer option, but time issues, difficulty and distance can lead you to choose to rappel. If you rappel, you may want to have someone give you a fireman's belay from the ground.

Be safe. Look for people with experience who can help you learn more. Watch them and ask questions. Most folks will be glad to help.

qwert

Apr 22, 2011, 9:52 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unga123 wrote:
Ok, this might be a dumb question because i might be missing something really obvious, but here goes.
You are indeed missing something really obvious.

Its called "rapelling" (sometimes also shortened to rapping (not to be confused with the terrible music) or abseiling, originating from the german term for it).

It is one of the basic skills in climbing, because "what goes up, must come down", preferably uninjured and alive.

Theoretically it is really easy (clip rope to the middle, get knots in the ends, throw down, rappel), but as all things in climbing the fact that an error could easily send you to your death, you should learn it properly.

So from here on, heres the standart reply:
U ARE GUNNA DYE!!!!!11!!!1!!!!eleven!
read a book
hire a guide
do a course
go with someone experienced
and so on …

qwert

Partner j_ung

Apr 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unga123 wrote:
I feel like the best bet is to clip the rope into the anchor at the midway point and drop both sides of the rope?

Exactly.

RE, rappelling... the big issue here is beginning the rappel. Down climbing from above the anchor to below it can be a terrifying and unsafe prospect. Without going into too many details, I like to use what I call a working line—a separate length of rope that extends from a bomber anchor above to below my TR anchor. (Tie a stopper knot in the end.) I use a Gri-gri to rappel to the TR biners, then transfer over to rappel on the TR. (Back up the second rappel with an autoblock or "fireman's belay.")

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook