Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ceebo

Jul 4, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #51 of 98 (5322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:
Well, as far as I understand, a hangboard needs a good place to be mounted, right? I don't have that luxury. I'm renting an apartment, so a hangboard is probably out. Frown

While I certainly am not in great shape now, I should be getting better once I get back to school and have access to the SDC (gym complex thingy). I swim at least twice a week, I'll be taking Pilates (gym classes are required to graduate and that one fit nicely in my schedule), and once we get certified, we'll probably climb 3-4 times a week - just limited by class and work time. While I've never been a fan of weight lifting or anything along those lines, I should probably start doing something to increase strength as I can't do a single pushup or pullup.

But, as far as I understand, the general consensus seems to be:
Climb when you can
Climb with people better than you
Focus on technique, at least for right now
Realize that I probably won't make huge leaps and bounds in ability due to situation
If at all possible, move to someplace better (yeah, finding a job and $$ is going to be a bit more important)
Attempt to befriend more advanced people that will help me out

Well, if you can find the time to climb 3-4 days a week by all means totally ignore everything i have said. If at any point you realise you can not keep to such a schedule feel free to msg me. You do not have to use a hang board as such. A simple rail above a door frame is enough. It can be easily modified for open or half crimp.. and can go up to any size needed to stay safe.

Please continue to ignore this poster's advice, including the new advice he gives after he says he agrees that you should ignore the old advice.

Jay

Not only have you proved you can not down climb, you have proved you can not give training advice to any given situation.

You also still refuse to answer a direct question that i recall asking in multiple threads. How is it, since you know everything.. that all you have achieved is a level of climbing that is more than attainable for a person who can only climb 2 days a week and 1/3 of your knowledge?. don't act like you do not care about grades.. iv'e seen you drag up other peoples grades to down rate their opinion on plenty of occasions.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jul 4, 2011, 8:53 PM)

Learner

Jul 4, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #52 of 98 (5310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
down climb
Good idea for Kestrel! Downclimbing is an excellent activity for two crucial things that she needs to focus on right now, endurance and footwork. It simultaneously increases endurance and trains your brain to think about your feet first.

Kestrel, pick a route you can complete. Go as low as you need to in terms of grade, just pick the hardest route you can definitely complete. Apparently this will be a 5.7 or 5.8 for you. Climb up it, but then climb down it as well, continuing to use only the holds that were on for that route. You will fatigue, but continue to force yourself to think about the movement, keeping your arms straight especially when you're not in vertical motion, controlling your center of gravity in relation to your base of support, etc... as you climb down. Try as hard as you can to stay on that wall without falling.

An important thing that you will notice is that you're thinking about your feet more when you're climbing down than when you're climbing up. And here's the catch: This will train you to think about your feet more while you're climbing up! You're training your brain--you're 'tricking' it into focusing on what it should be while you climb up.

As for the endurance, your muscles can lower more weight than they can lift up. So, when you reach the end of that route, and you feel that you can't lift yourself up, it's okay, you can continue to push your endurance because you can lower yourself. So, your arms will go from lifting yourself to lowering yourself, allowing you to challenge their endurance that much more and stimulate improvement that much more. The accumulating lactic acid will be accompanied by a burn, but keep pushing and next time you climb, your muscles will be able to tolerate more before your ability to hold on is compromised. As others have stated, whatever you do, if you fall, make sure it's because of a failed attempt involving 100% effort. Make sure it was unintentional and you were giving it your all. Push your endurance as far as your body is functionally capable and that point at which you fail will be further than last time. If you do this, your endurance will increase, noticeably, every time you climb. You will notice this, and observing that improvement is addicting. As your endurance increases, you will be able to focus on your movement and technique more, because you won't be so apt to accidentally sacrifice technique, which is what we often do when we lack the energy to get our bodies to do what our minds want them to. Endurance and technique are mutually beneficial, so prioritize both. Always focus on movement, but push yourself while doing that. See the end of the bouldering segment below for an exercise called the 4x4 that could come in extremely useful for you in this regard, once you can do 4 boulder problems easily.

lazymonkey wrote:
Start bouldering.
Another great idea for Kestrel. At this point, Kestrel, you need to focus on movement and technique. These are the primary challenges in bouldering, and bouldering is the quickest way to improve at them. So, lazymonkey's recommendation is very important for you right now, maybe the most important advice so far. In fact, I think you may be best off at this point prioritizing bouldering almost exclusively, using the bouldering in general to improve technique, while also pushing your endurance with the 4x4 discussed below. That is, as long as the right bouldering problems are available at your gym. Most bouldering problems are going to be very difficult, so start with the VB's (if they're available) and V0's and see how you're doing. The VB problems are going to be about as difficult as the most difficult part ("the crux") of a 5.8 or lower route. The V0's are going to be about as difficult as the crux of a 5.9, 5.10a, or 5.10b route. So, at this point, good job if you can climb a Vb boulder problem, and be very proud if you can get a V0. If you can get a V0 but you can't climb a 5.9, endurance is probably what's holding you back. If this were the case, once you get fatigued, you are sacrificing technique. But good news--there is a way to combat this tendency...

Once you're at the point at which you can do more than one bouldering problem, you can combine them and do them in a row with no rest to force yourself to focus on technique even when you're fatigued. Once you get The Self-Coached Climber, flip to page 147 and read about Activity 34: The 4x4. This exercise will help you tremendously with climbing routes, as you will be used to climbing difficult sections while you're tired. If you follow this exercise as outlined in the book, improvement will be immediately apparent. A good route is a number of boulder problems combined, which is exactly what this exercise is, but it forces you to do more challenging movements than you'd typically encounter throughout a route at your current redpoint grade, and you have lots of control over the difficulty and where it occurs. You can increase the difficulty in very small increments and control where the crux occurs if you desire. Ultimately, the 4x4 will build your endurance and train your brain to focus on movement and technique even when fatigued. Just make sure you're doing all you can to force yourself to focus on doing the movements perfectly, even if you're tired and burning. Push on, mentally. "Perfect practice makes perfect."

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 5, 2011, 7:28 AM)

jt512

Jul 4, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #53 of 98 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb
Good idea for Kestrel! Downclimbing is an excellent activity for two crucial things that she needs to focus on right now, endurance and footwork. It simultaneously increases endurance and trains your brain to think about your feet first.

If downclimbing is such good training for up-climbing, then why is up-climbing apparently such poor training for down-climbing, as exemplified by the fact that most climbers don't downclimb very well unless they specifically practice this skill. This is evidence that up-climbing and downclimbing are separate skills, and that training one has little crossover benefit to the other.

In reply to:
An important thing that you will notice is that you're thinking about your feet more when you're climbing down than when you're climbing up. And here's the catch: This will train you to think about your feet more while you're climbing up! You're training your brain--you're 'tricking' it into focusing on what it should be while you climb up.

I think that that "catch" requires some evidence.

In reply to:
[K]eep pushing and next time you climb, your muscles will be able to tolerate more before your ability to hold on is compromised. Push your endurance as far as your body is functionally capable and that point at which you fail will be further than last time. If you do this, your endurance will increase, noticeably, every time you climb.

Nonsense. There is no exercise you can do that will increase endurance after a single session. Muscules require repeat efforts for adaptation.

In reply to:
Always focus on movement, but push yourself while doing that.

But of course it wrong to push yourself while trying to learn new movement, as explained in The Self-Coached Climber.

Jay

Gravitron5000

Jul 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #54 of 98 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Gravitron5000 wrote:
Climb as much as you can, and try to keep your movement smooth. Focus on footwork. At the level you are climbing at, if you spend a lot of time climbing you will get better at it.

I've read that like 5 times in the last couple of days. How did this suddenly come to be the stupid advice du jour?

Jay

Advice du jour, sure, but I would not go so far as to call it stupid. Focusing on climbing smoothly forces you to think about the your movement and body position, and trying not to thrutch your way up a route like a meathead will also help your technique.

Learner

Jul 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #55 of 98 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

If downclimbing is such good training for up-climbing, then why is up-climbing apparently such poor training for down-climbing, as exemplified by the fact that most climbers don't downclimb very well unless they specifically practice this skill. This is evidence that up-climbing and downclimbing are separate skills, and that training one has little crossover benefit to the other.

In reply to:

In reply to:
[K]eep pushing and next time you climb, your muscles will be able to tolerate more before your ability to hold on is compromised. Push your endurance as far as your body is functionally capable and that point at which you fail will be further than last time. If you do this, your endurance will increase, noticeably, every time you climb.

Nonsense. There is no exercise you can do that will increase endurance after a single session. Muscules require repeat efforts for adaptation.

In reply to:

But of course it wrong to push yourself while trying to learn new movement, as explained in The Self-Coached Climber.

Jay
Downclimbing.
The reason downclimbing improves upclimbing yet upclimbing does not improve downclimbing is because we have a habit of doing something that is inefficient while upclimbing, which is focusing on our hands and pulling up. This is probably because 1) our hands are right in front of our face and 2) our hands are the first thing going up the rock. In studying the bodily mechanics of climbing, we've discovered that it is far more efficient to get your legs to do as much of the work as possible, so we we've learned that we should focus on them more than our hands. Downclimbing forces us to do this, because when we downclimb, our feet are now leading us down the rock, so we tend to think about them first. As we do this more over time, we build the habit of thinking about feet first. It is a tendency to think a certain way that we are building, in this case a productive one.

Endurance can Increase In One Day.
Do not confuse endurance with strength. The body does adapt, but adaptation involving endurance occurs much more quickly than adaptation involving strength. As far as the ability of the body's endurance to improve after a single session, it certainly can and does. I witness it in the gym all the time, and I've experienced it myself a number of times. Whenever someone takes around week off or more, the day of their return, their endurance is noticeably lower than before. If they push themselves that day, then return the very next day, their endurance will be up, sometimes considerably. I realize that a climber's testimony is not 'proof,' but you can also witness people gassing out on routes they've had wired for weeks, then the very next day they are sending them while barely breathing. Yes, this happens, believe it or not. I see it almost weekly.

Don't Push Yourself While Learning New Movement.
Of course, that's not what I was recommending. Aren't you familiar with the 4x4? See Activity 34 on pages 147-149 of The Self-Coached Climber. You use problems you have wired. You're not learning new movements, you're going through movements you already know, and simply forcing yourself to mentally focus on making movements as perfectly as you can despite being pumped. Again, it's psychological habit-building, and these healthy focusing tendencies will carry over to performance in climbing routes. Keep in mind, I'm only recommending the 4x4 for Kestrel after she has 4 bouldering problems wired.

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 4, 2011, 11:53 PM)

jt512

Jul 4, 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #56 of 98 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gravitron5000] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gravitron5000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gravitron5000 wrote:
Climb as much as you can, and try to keep your movement smooth. Focus on footwork. At the level you are climbing at, if you spend a lot of time climbing you will get better at it.

I've read that like 5 times in the last couple of days. How did this suddenly come to be the stupid advice du jour?

Jay

Advice du jour, sure, but I would not go so far as to call it stupid. Focusing on climbing smoothly forces you to think about the your movement and body position, and trying not to thrutch your way up a route like a meathead will also help your technique.

I think the advice is not specific enough to be meaningful. Good movement depends on proper balance, speed, initiation, timing, body tension, etc. These are the factors that the climber has to learn, not "smoothness."

Jay

ceebo

Jul 5, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #57 of 98 (5259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay
Downclimbing.
The reason downclimbing improves upclimbing yet upclimbing does not improve downclimbing is because we have a habit of doing something that is inefficient while upclimbing, which is focusing on our hands and pulling up. This is probably because 1) our hands are right in front of our face and 2) our hands are the first thing going up the rock. In studying the bodily mechanics of climbing, we've discovered that it is far more efficient to get your legs to do as much of the work as possible, so we we've learned that we should focus on them more than our hands. Downclimbing forces us to do this, because when we downclimb, our feet are now leading us down the rock, so we tend to think about them first. As we do this more over time, we build the habit of thinking about feet first. It is a tendency to think a certain way that we are building, in this case a productive one.

Endurance can Increase In One Day.
Do not confuse endurance with strength. The body does adapt, but adaptation involving endurance occurs much more quickly than adaptation involving strength. As far as the ability of the body's endurance to improve after a single session, it certainly can and does. I witness it in the gym all the time, and I've experienced it myself a number of times. Whenever someone takes around week off or more, the day of their return, their endurance is noticeably lower than before. If they push themselves that day, then return the very next day, their endurance will be up, sometimes considerably. I realize that a climber's testimony is not 'proof,' but you can also witness people gassing out on routes they've had wired for weeks, then the very next day they are sending them while barely breathing. Yes, this happens, believe it or not. I see it almost weekly.

Don't Push Yourself While Learning New Movement.
Of course, that's not what I was recommending. Aren't you familiar with the 4x4? See Activity 34 on pages 147-149 of The Self-Coached Climber. You use problems you have wired. You're not learning new movements, you're going through movements you already know, and simply forcing yourself to mentally focus on making movements as perfectly as you can despite being pumped. Again, it's psychological habit-building, and these healthy focusing tendencies will carry over to performance in climbing routes. Keep in mind, I'm only recommending the 4x4 for Kestrel after she has 4 bouldering problems wired.

2nd most valued poster. But you're still a smoke screen pluger Laugh.

You are still avoiding my question jay ;/.

jt512

Jul 5, 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #58 of 98 (5256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:
An important thing that you will notice is that you're thinking about your feet more when you're climbing down than when you're climbing up. And here's the catch: This will train you to think about your feet more while you're claiming up! You're training your brain--you're 'tricking' it into focusing on what it should be while you climb up.

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

Downclimbing. The reason downclimbing improves upclimbing yet upclimbing does not improve downclimbing is because we have a habit of doing something that is inefficient while upclimbing, which is focusing on our hands and pulling up.

Who has that habit? Speak for yourself. And even if you have this habit, how does downclimbing alleviate it?

In reply to:
In studying the bodily mechanics of climbing, we've discovered that it is far more efficient to try to get your legs to do the work, so we we've learned that should focus on them more than our hands. Downclimbing forces us to do this, because when we downclimb, our feet are now leading us down the rock . . .

But they're not. You have to move your hands down to lower holds before you can extend your knees and hips to move your feet down. Downclimbing requires you to focus on where the next lower handholds are.

In reply to:
As we do this more over time, we build the habit of thinking about feet first. It is a tendency to think a certain way that we are building, in this case a productive one.

Any time your're ready to stop pretending that you're an expert in the kinesiology of climbing, and admit that you neither have the experience, training, or evidence to make any of these assertions, please let us know.

In reply to:
Endurance can Increase Immediately. Do not confuse endurance with strength. The body does adapt, but adaptation involving endurance occurs much more quickly than adaptation involving strength. As far as the ability of the body's endurance to improve after a single session, it certainly can and does.

Absolute fucking nonsense. Take an exercise physiology class.

In reply to:
I witness it in the gym all the time, and I've experienced it myself a number of times.

More nonsense. What, if anything, you witness or experience is improvement in efficiency of movement. You can see this even in beginning weight lifters, where they make huge improvements early in their training. They are not gaining strength or endurance per se, they're just learing to eliminate gross errors in their technique. Same in climbing.

In reply to:
Whenever someone takes around week off or more, the day of their return, their endurance is noticeably lower than before.

Once again, speak for yourself.

In reply to:
If they push themselves that day, then return the very next day, their endurance will be up, sometimes considerably.

So, you're claiming that the harder they climb, the more endurance they will have the very next day. Well, you, Sir, are an idiot.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 5, 2011, 3:06 AM)

ceebo

Jul 5, 2011, 1:44 PM
Post #59 of 98 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:
An important thing that you will notice is that you're thinking about your feet more when you're climbing down than when you're climbing up. And here's the catch: This will train you to think about your feet more while you're claiming up! You're training your brain--you're 'tricking' it into focusing on what it should be while you climb up.

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

Downclimbing. The reason downclimbing improves upclimbing yet upclimbing does not improve downclimbing is because we have a habit of doing something that is inefficient while upclimbing, which is focusing on our hands and pulling up.

Who has that habit? Speak for yourself. And even if you have this habit, how does downclimbing alleviate it?

In reply to:
In studying the bodily mechanics of climbing, we've discovered that it is far more efficient to try to get your legs to do the work, so we we've learned that should focus on them more than our hands. Downclimbing forces us to do this, because when we downclimb, our feet are now leading us down the rock . . .

But they're not. You have to move your hands down to lower holds before you can extend your knees and hips to move your feet down. Downclimbing requires you to focus on where the next lower handholds are.

In reply to:
As we do this more over time, we build the habit of thinking about feet first. It is a tendency to think a certain way that we are building, in this case a productive one.

Any time your're ready to stop pretending that you're an expert in the kinesiology of climbing, and admit that you neither have the experience, training, or evidence to make any of these assertions, please let us know.

In reply to:
Endurance can Increase Immediately. Do not confuse endurance with strength. The body does adapt, but adaptation involving endurance occurs much more quickly than adaptation involving strength. As far as the ability of the body's endurance to improve after a single session, it certainly can and does.

In reply to:
I witness it in the gym all the time, and I've experienced it myself a number of times.

More nonsense. What, if anything, you witness or experience is improvement in efficiency of movement. You can see this even in beginning weight lifters, where they make huge improvements early in their training. They are not gaining strength or endurance per se, they're just learing to eliminate gross errors in their technique. Same in climbing.

In reply to:
Whenever someone takes around week off or more, the day of their return, their endurance is noticeably lower than before.

In reply to:
If they push themselves that day, then return the very next day, their endurance will be up, sometimes considerably.

So, you're claiming that the harder they climb, the more endurance they will have the very next day. Well, you, Sir, are an idiot.

Jay

You may be right on the endurance part.. but in climbing i would define a increase in movement as a increase in endurance.. it is too closely connected. Especially since that moving itself is relying on a level of endurance in the first place.

You're wrong about the hands. The main skill in down climbing is relaxing the upper muscles to ''sink'' to your next foot hold. The main focus is of that and the next foot hold. I'm sure anybody who does not down climb much... (like any new climber who climbs up) do not have the skills/experiance.. and rely heavily on hand placements and upper muscle to ''lower'' off every hold. Down climbing is every bit important to foot work as up climbing. And it can be done just as dynamic as up climbing if you get good at it. The only major differences is that once good at down climbing you use a minute amount of pull muscle compared to up climbing. And the other major issue is that it is extremely hard to down climb past full span dynamic moves (those where you fall off if you didn't make split second contact on the way up).

To be fair, most people only want to climb up, and see down climbing as a complete reverse (that it is) but i guess they assume it will also ''undo'' their up climbing technique as a result. That is complete and utter bolix. It will in fact help your up climbing for more reasons than just physical.

Also, will you please stop avoiding my question Unsure. I am very curious about the answer.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jul 5, 2011, 1:47 PM)

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:53 PM
Post #60 of 98 (5196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KestrelLowing] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kestrel,
The best advice that anyone can give you is right HERE already said!

1) Keep climbing! The more you do of it the better you will get. It takes time to learn to climb well...the old adage of "Practice makes perfect" is certainly TRUE in this sport.

2) Have fun! This is suppose to be enjoyable and fun as well as challenging of-course. I have seen some friends make it out to be such that it wasn't fun anymore for their Newbie friends that climbed with them and were still learning and developing their skills and confidence. It takes time to learn what one can hold onto for hand holds and footholds!

3) Don't get discouraged and quit! Keep training!

4) Read ALL you can on climbing - such as some of the books just described to help. Much can be learned from books, DVD's, etc....

5) Consider a training board mounted at home to help strengthen your grip, fingers, forearms and work them good until you get a good pump and burn until you can no longer hang on. However - don't OVER DO IT - you don't want to suffer a injury which would be a set-back.

jt512

Jul 5, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #61 of 98 (5182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

You may be right on the endurance part.. but in climbing i would define a increase in movement as a increase in endurance..

Defining it that way is counterproductive to training. Increasing movement efficiency and improving endurance are completely different physiologically, the former primarily being a nervous system activity, the latter involving the development of specific adaptations of the muscle cells. Thinking of these two things as being the same is an example of how a lack of understanding of physiology can lead to nonsensical training ideas.

In reply to:
Down climbing is every bit important to foot work as up climbing.

That's patently ridiculous.

Jay

jt512

Jul 5, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #62 of 98 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:
Well, as far as I understand, a hangboard needs a good place to be mounted, right? I don't have that luxury. I'm renting an apartment, so a hangboard is probably out. Frown

While I certainly am not in great shape now, I should be getting better once I get back to school and have access to the SDC (gym complex thingy). I swim at least twice a week, I'll be taking Pilates (gym classes are required to graduate and that one fit nicely in my schedule), and once we get certified, we'll probably climb 3-4 times a week - just limited by class and work time. While I've never been a fan of weight lifting or anything along those lines, I should probably start doing something to increase strength as I can't do a single pushup or pullup.

But, as far as I understand, the general consensus seems to be:
Climb when you can
Climb with people better than you
Focus on technique, at least for right now
Realize that I probably won't make huge leaps and bounds in ability due to situation
If at all possible, move to someplace better (yeah, finding a job and $$ is going to be a bit more important)
Attempt to befriend more advanced people that will help me out

Well, if you can find the time to climb 3-4 days a week by all means totally ignore everything i have said. If at any point you realise you can not keep to such a schedule feel free to msg me. You do not have to use a hang board as such. A simple rail above a door frame is enough. It can be easily modified for open or half crimp.. and can go up to any size needed to stay safe.

Please continue to ignore this poster's advice, including the new advice he gives after he says he agrees that you should ignore the old advice.

Jay

Not only have you proved you can not down climb, you have proved you can not give training advice to any given situation.

You also still refuse to answer a direct question that i recall asking in multiple threads. How is it, since you know everything.. that all you have achieved is a level of climbing that is more than attainable for a person who can only climb 2 days a week and 1/3 of your knowledge?.

You're not asking a "direct question"; you're asking what is known as a "loaded question." and you're using this loaded question as an ad hominem argument against me. I am not "avoiding" your question. I am refusing to play your game.

If you'd like some examples of someone refusing to answer a series of simple, direct questions, I'd be happy to supply them.

Jay

shimanilami

Jul 5, 2011, 6:50 PM
Post #63 of 98 (5148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You mention that climbing is the only athletic thing you've ever been excited about and that you're not in the greatest shape. It would be great if you could get to a climbing gym every day, but it doesn't sound like that's in the cards for you right now. Perhaps you can use your passion for climbing as motivation to work out in other ways. Climbing is physically demanding and being fit pays huge dividends. Every climber - even Jay and Ceebo will agree - knows it.

So you can only get to the climbing gym a couple of days a week. That means there are 5 other days during the week that you can train some other way. Yoga, running, aerobics, swimming, cycling, etc. might seem boring, but if you tell yourself "I'm no yoga/runner/aerobics ... gal, I'm a climber in training", then perhaps you'll see these exercises in a different light. Trust me, if you drop 5 lbs through running, you will feel it when you climb. If you develop a bit more core strength and flexibility through yoga, you will feel it when you climb.

If nothing else, you'll feel like you're doing whatever you can to become a stronger climber. You may still suck, but you will suck far less than if you spent that same time playing video games and eating ice cream.

shimanilami

Jul 5, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #64 of 98 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whoops. Didn't read the last page. It sound like you're already on it!

onceahardman

Jul 5, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #65 of 98 (5131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

Jay, I agree with most of what you say in this thread, especially as it relates to sport climbing, and the achievement of higher numbers. For traditional climbing and alpine rock, downclimbing is a skill which may save your bacon.

The above section which I bolded is troubling. I think you have assumed some "facts" not in evidence ("most climbers don't downclimb very well...") and have made a bit of a logical fallacy regarding downclimbing as potential training, for climbing.

"A" is reputed (without evidence) to cause "B". The (apparent) fact that "B" does not in turn, cause "A" is given as evidence that "A" does not actually cause "B".

Anyway, nice work in this thread, otherwise.

killingmorethancancer

Jul 5, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #66 of 98 (5120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just climb it comes with time.

jomagam

Jul 5, 2011, 8:35 PM
Post #67 of 98 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

You're climbing in the direction that your eyes are at when your going up, so you tend to see holds better than when you're going down. Also gravity is in the opposite direction of most movements making it easy to make a deadpoint going up, and harder when downclimbing.

I'm not arguing that downclimbing is a good technique training for climbing up, but it's certainly a useful tool to work on endurance if you're stuck climbing at a gym that's 25 feet tall.

jt512

Jul 5, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #68 of 98 (5102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:

You're climbing in the direction that your eyes are at when your going up, so you tend to see holds better than when you're going down.

I think that's incorrect. Up-climbing, the next handhold is usually over your head (in fact, it's usually above your hands, which are themselves over your head). Downclimbing, the next handhold is usually around head level. It's easier to see the next handhold downclimbing because it's often right in front of your face. Also, most handholds are horizontal edges, and these are much easier to see from above than from below (of course, if they're underclings the opposite is true). Also, I'm talking about outdoor climbing. If you can't see the next hold above you in the gym, then you are blind.

Jay

jt512

Jul 5, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #69 of 98 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
ceebo wrote:
down climb

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

Jay, I agree with most of what you say in this thread, especially as it relates to sport climbing, and the achievement of higher numbers. For traditional climbing and alpine rock, downclimbing is a skill which may save your bacon.

I agree with that.

In reply to:
The above section which I bolded is troubling. I think you have assumed some "facts" not in evidence ("most climbers don't downclimb very well...") and have made a bit of a logical fallacy regarding downclimbing as potential training, for climbing.

"A" is reputed (without evidence) to cause "B". The (apparent) fact that "B" does not in turn, cause "A" is given as evidence that "A" does not actually cause "B".

I think I'm making a pretty safe "assumption": that most climbers don't downclimb well, at least not nearly as well as they up-climb. The evidence for that is the ubiquitous advice on the importance to learn the skill of downclimbing, whether to save on-sights sport climbing or to save your "bacon" trad climbing. If up-climbing was good training for downclimbing, then why do so many climbers, including you, apparently, believe that it is a skill that requires specific practice? Therefore up-climbing must not be good training for downclimbing. I agree that it does not directly follow that downclimbing isn't good training for up-climbing, but it's hard to see why we should think it would be if the converse is not true.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 5, 2011, 9:58 PM)

ceebo

Jul 5, 2011, 9:46 PM
Post #70 of 98 (5089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] What to do when you suck, big time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
In reply to:

You're climbing in the direction that your eyes are at when your going up, so you tend to see holds better than when you're going down. Also gravity is in the opposite direction of most movements making it easy to make a deadpoint going up, and harder when downclimbing.

I'm not arguing that downclimbing is a good technique training for climbing up, but it's certainly a useful tool to work on endurance if you're stuck climbing at a gym that's 25 feet tall.

It is useful regardless of height restriction, i up/down climb warm up routes every session. Helps me warm up faster and keeps my down climbing ability up to scratch. Just seems silly not to do it really.

Jay, we both already know the answer.. i just wanted to watch you dance around the question. Dance you did Laugh.

Gotte say though, took a few pokes to get a bite. I have and always will bite on the first. So 10 points to you.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jul 5, 2011, 9:49 PM)

ceebo

Jul 6, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #71 of 98 (5048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Defining it that way is counterproductive to training. Increasing movement efficiency and improving endurance are completely different physiologically, the former primarily being a nervous system activity, the latter involving the development of specific adaptations of the muscle cells. Thinking of these two things as being the same is an example of how a lack of understanding of physiology can lead to nonsensical training ideas.

Jay

And Bolix. It is ''nonsensical'' training to separate these two. As far as i give a flying fk they are Siamese twins.. kill one you kill the other.

Option A: You want to train endurance, so you find a route.. and off you go. Very soon you acquire the efficient movement to climb that route and repeat the same sequences over and over and over... on you go for another 30 min (wasting what could be movement learning time). Once the endurance gains plateau and are able to climb that route for 45 min you find a new route. In doing that it is unavoidable that you will receive more movement gains from the new activity (good thing though obviously). But the thing is, at best.. you spend 30 min of that drill repeating the same moves making next to no movement gains. A 30 min loss every drill will add up fast.

Option B: The person could try to improve as a climber by refining movement on climbs that is far to low on their aerobic level, or refine movement with ought doing continues climbing. They will miss out on substantial endurance gains. Any gains made in movement alone will not help that much.. since their physical condition has not improved to use those movement gains in a performance climb at a higher level for a prolonged period. Basically.. the time they spent training movement on piss easy walls was a utter waste, and not efficient training time.

Option C: While training endurance, use every hold on a line and constantly climb new sequences so long as they keep within the zone to make the desired endurance type gains. Once every possible sequence perceived possible is found their repeat 1 more time (can usually all be done with a 45 min endurance drill). Never use a completed line again till new routes have been set. Endurance gains diminish as movement skill increases within a route. An avg climber can get a good idea how to do a new sequence/move with most efficiency in 3 attempts. A half decent climber can easily get it in 2.. and a pro i dare say may get it first time.

Option C mixes the best of both A and B into 1 activity of endurance training and never allows the gains to reach the late or even mid stage of plateau in either endurance or movement. In a sense, it is like ''on sighting'' your endurance drills, followed by a single re send for confirmation or refinement of the completed sequences (even another resend viable). You make steady gains on many fronts.. and are only restricted by how often routes are changed.. and your ability to find new sequences while staying within your desired endurance range.

Then that just leaves strength training to add into the equation.

Would you like to hear about my nonsensicle training for that?.

jt512

Jul 6, 2011, 2:26 PM
Post #72 of 98 (4998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

And Bolix. It is ''nonsensical'' training to separate these two. As far as i give a flying fk they are Siamese twins.. kill one you kill the other.

Option A: You want to train endurance, so you find a route.. and off you go. Very soon you acquire the efficient movement to climb that route and repeat the same sequences over and over and over... on you go for another 30 min (wasting what could be movement learning time). Once the endurance gains plateau and are able to climb that route for 45 min you find a new route. In doing that it is unavoidable that you will receive more movement gains from the new activity (good thing though obviously). But the thing is, at best.. you spend 30 min of that drill repeating the same moves making next to no movement gains. A 30 min loss every drill will add up fast.

Option B: The person could try to improve as a climber by refining movement on climbs that is far to low on their aerobic level, or refine movement with ought doing continues climbing. They will miss out on substantial endurance gains. Any gains made in movement alone will not help that much.. since their physical condition has not improved to use those movement gains in a performance climb at a higher level for a prolonged period. Basically.. the time they spent training movement on piss easy walls was a utter waste, and not efficient training time.

Option C: While training endurance, use every hold on a line and constantly climb new sequences so long as they keep within the zone to make the desired endurance type gains. Once every possible sequence perceived possible is found their repeat 1 more time (can usually all be done with a 45 min endurance drill). Never use a completed line again till new routes have been set. Endurance gains diminish as movement skill increases within a route. An avg climber can get a good idea how to do a new sequence/move with most efficiency in 3 attempts. A half decent climber can easily get it in 2.. and a pro i dare say may get it first time.

Option C mixes the best of both A and B into 1 activity of endurance training and never allows the gains to reach the late or even mid stage of plateau in either endurance or movement. In a sense, it is like ''on sighting'' your endurance drills, followed by a single re send for confirmation or refinement of the completed sequences (even another resend viable). You make steady gains on many fronts.. and are only restricted by how often routes are changed.. and your ability to find new sequences while staying within your desired endurance range.

Look, you said that you defined endurance and movement efficiency as being the same thing, and here you lay three options that show that you don't. Even your Option C, which you claim is the best, shows unequivocaly that you recognize that they are different things: "Endurance gains diminish as movement skill increases within a route."

In reply to:

What do you think?

Jay

Learner

Jul 6, 2011, 3:16 PM
Post #73 of 98 (4990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Look, you said that you defined endurance and movement efficiency as being the same thing, and here you lay three options that show that you don't. Even your Option C, which you claim is the best, shows unequivocaly that you recognize that they are different things: "Endurance gains diminish as movement skill increases within a route."

In reply to:

What do you think?

Jay
So, you think that the most efficient path to improvement in climbing is not to climb at all? Pure and utter bullshit.

Why do you think climbers can climb while the rest of the population basically cannot? You, sir, are the shit in the horses ass.

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 6, 2011, 3:17 PM)

rnevius

Jul 6, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #74 of 98 (4983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
So, you think that the most efficient path to improvement in climbing is not to climb at all? Pure and utter bullshit.

Why do you think climbers can climb while the rest of the population basically cannot? You, sir, are the shit in the horses ass.

Where the heck did you get that nonsense from?

jt512

Jul 6, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #75 of 98 (4965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

In reply to:

What do you think?

Jay

Are you drunk?

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook