Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

beachrock

Jul 6, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 24 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you climb tall rocks without proper equipment, if you do dangerous things that you shouldn't be doing (eg: jumping over deep crevasses), not wearing a helmet, climbing alone in isolated places, is your behavior considered suicidal?

I also wonder if semi-suicidal people who are not brave enough to pull a trigger somtimes passively attempt to commit suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing.

(This post was edited by beachrock on Jul 6, 2011, 2:07 AM)

acorneau

Jul 6, 2011, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 24 (5786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
If you climb tall rocks without proper equipment, if you do dangerous things that you shouldn't be doing (eg: jumping over deep crevasses), not wearing a helmet, climbing alone in isolated places, is your behavior considered suicidal?

I also wonder if semi-suicidal people who are not brave enough to pull a trigger somtimes passively attempt to commit suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing.

Suicide implies intent to end one's life.

Participating in a given activity with less safety gear or attempting riskier procedures than those others might deem prudent does not automatically signify attempted suicide.

Oh, and I'm by obligated by RC.com etiquette to tell you STFU, yer gunna DIE!

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jul 6, 2011, 2:19 AM)

carabiner96

Jul 6, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #4 of 24 (5779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

Try it, let us know.

moose_droppings

Jul 6, 2011, 2:42 AM
Post #5 of 24 (5764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
.....climbing alone in isolated places, is your behavior considered suicidal?

I must be doing it wrong.

Learner

Jul 6, 2011, 2:48 AM
Post #6 of 24 (5756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

Might as well have a little fun in the process, right?

skiclimb

Jul 6, 2011, 3:01 AM
Post #7 of 24 (5736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Johnny Waterman.

alleyehave

Jul 6, 2011, 3:04 AM
Post #8 of 24 (5733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your trolling is still insanely weak and obvious to boot. Truly, you're an amateur, and that's being generous.

lofstromc

Jul 6, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #9 of 24 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It depends on whether you are wearing gardening gloves and scrambling on beach rubble or actually doing some climbing.

thomasribiere

Jul 6, 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #10 of 24 (5585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

I know at least 3 rock climbers / alpinists who died in incredible unsafe / difficult conditions (solo or roped wife and husband) : years after, we still consider that these fatalities may be true suicides. Sadly.

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM)

Partner j_ung

Jul 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #11 of 24 (5541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

No, those behaviors alone cannot rightly be considered passive suicide.

In reply to:

skiclimb wrote:
Johnny Waterman.

That's who I immediately thought of, too.

OP, it has probably happened, but it's far from common.

Solnyschkamynka

Jul 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #12 of 24 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about projected suicide on these people?

In my opinion, this behavior ultimately leads to suicidal thoughts. Of course this can avoided. Yet the internet is a tricky solution, since ALSO in my opinion it is the heart of the problem.Or at least, the stem from which the problem of isolated climbing blooms.

The best thing to do if you find yourself in this way, is go to the hospital regardless of truly being interested in taking your own life or the lives of other. By go to the hospital I mean, invite the police to your home, explain yourself to them, they will drop you off there, and if you are admitted, then you are admitted. Rock climbing is an expensive sport, so they say.

patto

Jul 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #13 of 24 (5518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depression can drive you to spend all day playing computer games and lead to 'suicide' by obesity.

Alternatively it can lead to extreme behavior in search of meaning ala Alexander SuperTramp.

This is a psychological question more than rock climbing. If people are depressed they can stop looking after themselves if they allow this to occur in extreme environments then it can result in death.

Solnyschkamynka

Jul 6, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #14 of 24 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree, and believe you lost the point. We're not talking about anything but pure simple truths of life. Depression CAN lead to these things but it can ALSO lead to extreme behavior.

There is a fighter in us all.

Partner j_ung

Jul 6, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #15 of 24 (5419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Solnyschkamynka] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Solnyschkamynka wrote:
What about projected suicide on these people?

In my opinion, this behavior ultimately leads to suicidal thoughts. Of course this can avoided. Yet the internet is a tricky solution, since ALSO in my opinion it is the heart of the problem.Or at least, the stem from which the problem of isolated climbing blooms.

The best thing to do if you find yourself in this way, is go to the hospital regardless of truly being interested in taking your own life or the lives of other. By go to the hospital I mean, invite the police to your home, explain yourself to them, they will drop you off there, and if you are admitted, then you are admitted. Rock climbing is an expensive sport, so they say.

I'm sorry... I get what you're saying about depression and self-destructive behavior, but how on Earth is the Internet the heart of the problem?

beachrock, do try to remember that society at large could say the same about every single one of us, and that not all risky behavior is self destructive. The vast majority of people who run it out, so to speak, are perfectly healthy and well adjusted. Those who spend their free time worrying over the motivations of people they don't know and never will are, IMO, less so.

Solnyschkamynka

Jul 6, 2011, 4:54 PM
Post #16 of 24 (5386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, internet (forum and just about everything else) is just proof that dead people know. Dead people know everything!

iknowfear

Jul 6, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #17 of 24 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Solnyschkamynka] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Solnyschkamynka wrote:
In my opinion, internet (forum and just about everything else) is just proof that dead people know. Dead people know everything!
does not do them lot of good. they are dead anyway.

potreroed

Jul 6, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #18 of 24 (5262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suicide by reckless climbing has been known to happen but, no, it's not common.

dbogardus

Jul 6, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #19 of 24 (5247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

Some people even climb without gloves.

beachrock wrote:

People who pull the trigger are hardly brave.

altelis

Jul 6, 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #20 of 24 (5201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbogardus wrote:
beachrock wrote:

Some people even climb without gloves.

beachrock wrote:

People who pull the trigger are hardly brave.

It is far beyond my capability to come close to empathize with the mental states of those before committing suicide, but from my experience with those with mental illness, I would never judge their decision. I have deep sympathy for them, and those left behind, but to call those who have committed suicide as "hardly brave" is, in my opinion, callous and shows a poor understanding of mental illness.

dbogardus

Jul 6, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #21 of 24 (5197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Suicide by unsafe Rock Climbing? Common or unheard of? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are certainly two different opinions.

rescueman

Jul 7, 2011, 3:16 PM
Post #22 of 24 (5099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, this is a legitimate question, but the answer is not suicidality - it's arrested development and addiction, which can lead to self-destructive behavior.

Risk-taking is a normal part of adolescent psychology when the judgement function of the brain has not fully developed, but maturity typically leads to a more rational balance of risk vs. security.

However, we live in a culture which leaves most people unfulfilled and perennially seeking something to fill the void. There are few in "developed" cultures who are not addicted to something.

For a growing number, it's risk - which means it's the adrenaline, endorphins and dopamine which, like all neuroactive drugs require an increasing dose to maintain the same effect, or at least require a regular "fix".

Risk-taking climbers may be a lot like bikers who refuse to wear helmets:

NY motorcyclist in helmet protest hits head, dies

The Associated Press
7/07/2011

ONONDAGA, N.Y.—A man riding bareheaded on one of about 550 motorcycles in an anti-helmet law rally lost control of his cycle, went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and died, police said Sunday.

The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said.

cals9

Jul 7, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #23 of 24 (5054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fayette County (WVVA) -- "A man fell while climbing within the New River Gorge National Park Saturday.
39-year-old, Charles G. Fredricks, Jr., of Fayetteville was free climbing in the Bridge Buttress area known as Angel's Arete. Fredericks was climbing alone without ropes or other protection. He was also not wearing a helmet.
Fredricks suffered multi-system trauma from the fall. As additional assistance from Fayette County Rope Rescue, Fayetteville Fire, Nuttall VFD, and Jan Care arrived, Fredricks was back boarded, placed into a litter, and carried out to Fayette Station Road.
He was transported by ambulance to the Burnwood campground where a waiting Health Net medical helicopter flew the injured man to Charleston Area Medical Center."
I was told by someone present that he seemed to be loaded, he was doing laps solo on Angels Arete (very polished after almost 25 yrs of use). Someone present also thought that he seemed to be engaged in suicide by rock climbing, being very despondent over a failing relationship. Charles Fredricks really needs our prayer, he seemed to be very messed up, Walking may be hard for him, let alone climbing. He needs a miracle to get his physical life turned around, let alone his spiritual and mental state.
In reply to:

curt

Jul 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #24 of 24 (5013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

Depends on whether you die or not.

Curt

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook