RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

dagibbs

Jul 8, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #1 of 4 (5587 views)
Shortcut

60' lead ground fall at Val David, Quebec
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last weekend a friend of mine was climbing at Val David, Quebec. As they were packing up to leave, about 200' from them a guy took a ground fall on lead. She saw him go, and heard the sickening splat as he hit the ground. He fell about 60 feet, apparently popping two pieces as he fell.

Apparently he was alive when hauled away, but she has no information on actually injuries he sustained, who he was, or expect recovery.

If anyone has further information, especially including condition of the climber, I would appreciate it.

(Val David is about 2 1/2 hours from Ottawa and a little over an hour out of Montreal, and is common climbing destination for climbers from Montreal.)

[edit -- newspaper article says twentyish feet (about 8m)]
[edit again -- probably 60' after all. Another friend of mine witnessed this and reported more directly. 20' is about where his highest piece that held was placed. This may be what caused confusion in the newspaper article's report.]

(This post was edited by dagibbs on Jul 11, 2011, 3:07 AM)

Rudmin

Jul 8, 2011, 4:35 AM
Post #2 of 4 (5564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] 60' lead ground fall at Val David, Quebec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.pointdevuesainteagathe.com/...te-au-Mont-Cesaire/1

This article in French says it was 20 feet, not many details though it does say he was conscious and speaking to rescuers, so it sounds like he will recover.

I almost joined the ACC Ottawa trip up there that day, now I am glad that I wasn't there.

dagibbs

Jul 8, 2011, 4:42 AM
Post #3 of 4 (5557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] 60' lead ground fall at Val David, Quebec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link. My French isn't great, but is enough to get most of the article.

My friend is an ACC member, so I expect that is why she was up there.

dagibbs

Jul 11, 2011, 3:12 AM
Post #4 of 4 (5373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] 60' lead ground fall at Val David, Quebec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A more detailed report on this climb by a witness is reported here:

http://scalingrock.blogspot.com/...do-you-have-one.html

blog post linked above wrote:
1) Climber was not wearing a helmet.
2) Climb: La Premiere Valse 5.3. Although I believe the climber fell after getting off route; the climber traversed too high. I did not climb this particular route but I did climb La Valse 5.6 directly to the left while an ACC member climbed La Premiere Valse 5.3. I believe the gear on that route is not obvious and if you miss the right spot there may not be any good gear to be found.
3) Two pieces pulled. At least one was a smaller nut (similar to a #6 or #7 sized BD stopper). I'm not sure how much force was on the third piece down, if any.
4) The climber landed at the base of La Valse. Injuries from the impact were severe.
5) The elapse time from the first 911 call to the climber's extraction from the crag was about 1 to 1.5 hour.
6) Chico et Valse does have an access road which the park authorities used to drive the fire rescue team in on. The approach is about a 20 minute walk from the park office.

(This post was edited by dagibbs on Jul 11, 2011, 3:13 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook