RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

AamClimber

Jul 4, 2011, 7:06 AM
Post #1 of 10 (8742 views)
Shortcut

Lead test question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'll be going to Mississauga in a couple of days and here's the thing: I can lead climb but I've never given a lead belay before. I mean I have, but I've never caught a lead fall before. The guy who I was belaying played it safe and took a rest on every 3rd clip meaning i tightened the rope at those points :/
I've looked at a couple of websites of the gyms in/near Mississauga and all of them require a lead test.

Is there a separate test for climbing and belaying or is it one? What exactly do they test you in a lead test? Do they give you a specific belay device to use? I can only belay on a Gri-Gri. Never had the chance to try other belay devices >_<
And finally, do you need your own rope to lead in gyms?
Sorry if the questions are stupid. I've never gone to a gym in the US/Canada before so I thought I'd ask about the specifics.
If there's any confusion in what I've written, let me know please.
Thanks =)

stealth

Jul 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #2 of 10 (8691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AamClimber] Lead test question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
Hi, I'll be going to Mississauga in a couple of days and here's the thing: I can lead climb but I've never given a lead belay before. I mean I have, but I've never caught a lead fall before. The guy who I was belaying played it safe and took a rest on every 3rd clip meaning i tightened the rope at those points :/
I've looked at a couple of websites of the gyms in/near Mississauga and all of them require a lead test.

Is there a separate test for climbing and belaying or is it one? What exactly do they test you in a lead test? Do they give you a specific belay device to use? I can only belay on a Gri-Gri. Never had the chance to try other belay devices >_<
Sorry if the questions are stupid. I've never gone to a gym in the US/Canada before so I thought I'd ask about the specifics.
If there's any confusion in what I've written, let me know please.
Thanks =)

cool down man, they got bros who will teach yo.
just drive by , step in, ask top dog give him green .
chill out

dbogardus

Jul 4, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stealth] Lead test question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stealth wrote:
cool down man, they got bros who will teach yo.
just drive by , step in, ask top dog give him green .
chill out

djlachelt

Jul 4, 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #4 of 10 (8616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:

There is no standard for that in US gyms. Some make it one test; some make a lead belay test separate from the lead climbing test. The gym I climb in doesn't really test for lead belaying... it is basically up to the lead climber to determine the skill of his belayer himself.

You should just call the gym you plan to visit ahead of time.

It sounds like you want some training in best practices for lead belaying. Most gyms aren't going to give you that during a test, and would rightfully charge you for giving some training (and you would probably have to schedule that before hand). Sounds like the previous poster knows something about the gym... maybe that gym is more generous with their time.

Most US gyms that I have visited supply lead ropes, but you can of course bring your own. Some do not supply lead ropes, or charge you for their use.

notapplicable

Jul 4, 2011, 4:32 PM
Post #5 of 10 (8613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It varies from gym to gym but they are generally looking for similar things and yes, the lead test involves demonstrating competency with both climbing and belaying.

In climbing they look for a properly tie knot and communication with your belayer. They usually ask you to demonstrate Z-clipping and backclipping and how to fix it. They watch for stuff like not climbing with the rope behind your leg and will ask you to take one or more falls.

For belaying they will look for a properly threaded belay device and rope management skills. Unfortunately not every gym allows you to use every belay method (I have to use a different method while taking a test inorder to pass) so just ask them what they look for and what techniques are acceptible. You will have to catch one or more falls.

Some gyms will ask you generic questions about gear, like what is different about a new rope vs. an old rope and how might it affect your belaying (new ropes are dry coated and slicker), etc... Usually there is one test for a GriGri and one test for a tube style device and you can use which ever your prefer.

I wouldn't be surprised if you fail your first gym test if you are not very expderienced and I wouldn't worry about it. I failed a test once with five years of climbing under my belt because they didn't like how I belayed. Went back the next day and did it how they wanted and passed.

You might also check out their website because some gyms post a "checklist" on there so you can know what to expect during the test.

Partner j_ung

Jul 4, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 10 (8588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What they said—it varies from gym to gym. Give 'em a call and find out what you need to demonstrate to pass.

Kartessa

Jul 5, 2011, 2:02 AM
Post #7 of 10 (8531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll answer your question for you...

Rock Oasis, Joe Rockhead's, TCA, True North and Climber's Rock all require that you do a Lead test both belaying and climbing.

Most will make you pay for the test, and a few will take a deposit that they'll keep if you fail.

You can still just do a toprope test or boulder though :)

jgross

Jul 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Lead test question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At True North Climbing you have your choice of using a tube device (such as an ATC or Verso) or a Grigri. We will want to see you demonstrate that you can climb and belay safely, including catching a fall. The test is free, but you should call ahead to check that someone qualified to do a lead test will be on duty when you come (this is usually, but not always the case). The lead test is free at our gym.

However, if you have never caught a fall then there is a good chance you will not pass our test, and it is not the best idea to ask a friend to take a fall while you are belaying during a lead test . I would recommend that you get instruction first to make sure you know what you are doing.

John Gross
Owner, True North Climbing

(This post was edited by jgross on Jul 5, 2011, 2:38 PM)

jgross

Jul 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #9 of 10 (8483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgross] Lead test question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and yes, you need your own rope, belay device (some allow only a Grigri) and a locking carabiner to lead climb at all the gyms around here.

jg

(This post was edited by jgross on Jul 5, 2011, 2:37 PM)

AamClimber

Jul 9, 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #10 of 10 (8303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgross] Lead test question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah thanks for all the replies .I think I'll have to stick with top roping and bouldering for a while :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook