Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Body weight, sponsors, and climbers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Aug 1, 2011, 4:50 PM
Post #151 of 273 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
I'll try. Hopefully you will too. Not everyone lives in a world of statistics. You should get used to the sk8ter folk many boulderers are from the X Game breed.
That ^ is more like it. A comma after the "sk8ter folk" would have partitioned the sentence a little and made the fact that "many boulderers are from the X Game breed" stood alone as a seperate fragment, but other then that everything was fine. Keep up the good work! Smile

A comma there would be a comma splice, and is a mistake, unless you are a very good writer and know exactly what you're doing. Otherwise, a period or semicolon should be used there to separate the two independent clauses. Other than that, not bad.

Jay
Would the comma there really be incorrect?

Yes. It's almost always incorrect to join two independent clauses (phrases that could stand alone as sentences) with a comma. A period is always a safe choice, but a semicolon can be used to emphasize the connection between the clauses if they are closely related. I'd have probably used a semicolon in this case to suggest the elided "because."

Jay

Ya - semicolon would be absolutely correct. It also looks a little pretentious in informal writing. So in that case, probably best to just go with the period.

GO

flesh

Aug 1, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #152 of 273 (5122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [essay] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

essay wrote:
Nah, most 5.14 climbers do not have more muscle mass than my sad 5.13 climbing self. I have friends who bodybuild and climb, trust me, they chuff 5.10 but could tear the arms off of any pro climber I know. They sweat like pigs top roping 5.9, burning more calories than any pro climber ever has in an hour because they weigh twice as much as a pro climber. (So if you weigh less it all gets easier? Yes) I wish that 5.14 climbers had as much muscle mass as myself, then I wouldn't be so embarassed about how much I suck in comparison when I climb around them.

I still say this is a pretty big issue that is in no way limited to one American femal, idiocy.!

I know of the body builder types who fight there way up v2's or whatever, but they are body builders and certainly not representative of the typical climber.

You may have much more muscle climbing 5.13 than your 5.14 counterparts however that doesn't mean that a 5.13 climber, on average, has more muscle than a 5.14 climber. Plus, we we're comparing 5.12 to 5.14 where there's going to be a larger disparity. I was comparing the amount of muscle one would have from climbing only, not whether or not the climb and body build. One thing's for sure, you've got to rule out the body builders in our climbing comparison.

If you do have alot more muscle, it may be genetic but it also may be that you lift weights or do something else that builds the muscle. If so, you would probably benefit from losing that extra muscle mass.

Also, you may have more body fat and therefore you look bigger than they do. I'm just guessing but everyone I know personally who climbs 5.14 is extremely lean and therefore looks small. So they may have more muscle than you. However, once you get to the 5.13 level, which imo, is significantly harder than 5.12, you may already have all the muscle you need to climb 5.14 and just need to cut fat, get stronger fingers(which would add very little weight) or cut unnessary muscle or improve technique. A 5.13 climber is much more likely to have all the muscle they need to climb 5.14 than a 5.12 climber, except in the fingers in my experience.

PS

Why the hell are you all talking about punctuation and grammar?! I thought this was a climbing forum?
Let's get back to climbing and not egoize our other strengths.

If you don't like my egoize word maybe you just misremembered the discorrect spelling of the word. Now you're simply postconfused about what mismatters.

(This post was edited by flesh on Aug 1, 2011, 6:22 PM)

sungam

Aug 1, 2011, 6:50 PM
Post #153 of 273 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
I'll try. Hopefully you will too. Not everyone lives in a world of statistics. You should get used to the sk8ter folk many boulderers are from the X Game breed.
That ^ is more like it. A comma after the "sk8ter folk" would have partitioned the sentence a little and made the fact that "many boulderers are from the X Game breed" stood alone as a seperate fragment, but other then that everything was fine. Keep up the good work! Smile

A comma there would be a comma splice, and is a mistake, unless you are a very good writer and know exactly what you're doing. Otherwise, a period or semicolon should be used there to separate the two independent clauses. Other than that, not bad.

Jay
Would the comma there really be incorrect?

Yes. It's almost always incorrect to join two independent clauses (phrases that could stand alone as sentences) with a comma. A period is always a safe choice, but a semicolon can be used to emphasize the connection between the clauses if they are closely related. I'd have probably used a semicolon in this case to suggest the elided "because."

Jay
This is earth shattering for me. I have always believed that a comma is like a soft period, and should be used when there is a strong enough lead on from one clause to another so that a period isn't quite needed. Oh boy, back to school...

JoeHamilton

Aug 1, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #154 of 273 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because mine stinks, and some just don't understand what my writing is trying to imply. So they are try'n to teach proper grammar before climbing techniques.

It might work and just maybe I will obtain good enough grammar they will be willing to climb with me.

sungam

Aug 1, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #155 of 273 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Why the hell are you all talking about punctuation and grammar?! I thought this was a climbing forum?
Let's get back to climbing and not egoize our other strengths.
Convorsations take turns when they take turns. That's one of the beautiful thing about internet forums as a medium.

Anyways, this is seriously screwing with me. I just talked to my GF. Aparently she has long suspected that I have no idea what correct punctuation is, but never felt the need to correct it.

Now is that ^ comma in the right place? I am pretty sure it shouldn't be a semi colon, and it can't be a full stop cuz the end doesn't have a subject/object/(not sure what the correct word is).

Edit to add: This is pathetic, isn't it? I am going to surf the net and learn this first grade crap.

(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 1, 2011, 7:37 PM)

Partner cracklover

Aug 1, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #156 of 273 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Anyways, this is seriously screwing with me. I just talked to my GF. Aparently she has long suspected that I have no idea what correct punctuation is, but never felt the need to correct it.

Now is that ^ comma in the right place?

Yes. In fact, most of your grammar is fine.

In reply to:
Edit to add: This is pathetic, isn't it? I am going to surf the net and learn this first grade crap.

Look up split infinitives. To boldly delve into that realm will really blow your mind.

GO

JoeHamilton

Aug 1, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #157 of 273 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wait a little while longer, some programming geek at Apple will make a grammar checker and the Internet will be full of smart people again. Hey does anyone use dragon, and do you have to say the punctuation, or are we getting closer then I just thought on the grammar checker.? When I was looking up that spelling thing, I noticed a report of how the Internet is making teens into bad spellers, and non grammatical writers.

spikeddem

Aug 1, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #158 of 273 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
Just wait a little while longer, some programming geek at Apple will make a grammar checker and the Internet will be full of smart people again. Hey does anyone use dragon, and do you have to say the punctuation, or are we getting closer then I just thought on the grammar checker.? When I was looking up that spelling thing, I noticed a report of how the Internet is making teens into bad spellers, and non grammatical writers.

We need a fucking machine to tell us rules we learn in third grade? Jesus Christ, people. No one is asking for every single detail to be correct, all we really want is clarity so we do not need to

A) Re-read your paragraphs

and/or

B) Get in a side argument due to your lack of ability to correctly convey what you mean

You're/your, their/they're/there, than/then, effect/affect: Learn them. They're not hard. It's seriously fucking pathetic. Third graders know these things. Seriously. I can understand typing one when you meant the other. It's unforgivable, however, to be unable to reason out which one should be used. If English is your first language and you can't do it, perhaps you should try finding a second one. You may have more luck.

(Joe, this post isn't aimed directly at you, but rather at any of the people that your Apple program would target.)

jt512

Aug 1, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #159 of 273 (5021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
Just wait a little while longer, some programming geek at Apple will make a grammar checker and the Internet will be full of smart people again.

MS Word already has that, doesn't it?

Jay

jt512

Aug 1, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #160 of 273 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I am going to surf the net and learn this first grade crap.

Take a look at this site.

Jay

Diphthong

Aug 1, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #161 of 273 (5016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
Just wait a little while longer, some programming geek at Apple will make a grammar checker and the Internet will be full of smart people again.

MS Word already has that, doesn't it?

Jay

Microsoft Windows has a watchdog timer that protects the system in case of any major faults. It probably shut down Joe's spelling and grammar check years ago to keep the system running smoothly.

Learner

Aug 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #162 of 273 (4988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

Jay
I've got a quick question for you, Jay. Why did you emphasize the word "than," here?

The other two terms seem appropriately italicized.

(This post was edited by Learner on Aug 1, 2011, 11:10 PM)

jt512

Aug 1, 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #163 of 273 (4983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

Jay
I've got a quick question for you, Jay. Why did you emphasize the word "than," here?

I was correcting Sungam. Same with "separate."

Jay

Learner

Aug 1, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #164 of 273 (4978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

Jay

Jay
I have you (as opposed to "gotcha Wink").

(This post was edited by Learner on Aug 1, 2011, 11:31 PM)

johnwesely

Aug 1, 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #165 of 273 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
sungam wrote:

I wouldn't put a comma there. "but never felt the need to correct it" is a dependent clause, so the comma is superfluous with the coordinating conjunction. If the clause was "but she never felt the need to correct it" then the comma would be appropriate.

jt512

Aug 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #166 of 273 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
cracklover wrote:
sungam wrote:

I wouldn't put a comma there. "but never felt the need to correct it" is a dependent clause, so the comma is superfluous with the coordinating conjunction.

The comma there is optional, but I happen to like it in that sentence. See rule #7 here.

But in this case, "<comma> but she . . ." probably would have been the best choice.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 2, 2011, 12:32 AM)

johnwesely

Aug 2, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #167 of 273 (4943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
cracklover wrote:
sungam wrote:

I wouldn't put a comma there. "but never felt the need to correct it" is a dependent clause, so the comma is superfluous with the coordinating conjunction.

The comma there is optional, but I happen to like it in that sentence. See rule #7 here.

But in this case, "<comma> but she . . ." probably would have been the best choice.

Jay

Agreed.

Learner

Aug 2, 2011, 1:32 AM
Post #168 of 273 (4929 views)
Shortcut

There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

Jay

Jay
This is a fragment. However, I think there is something that we all need to take into account...

The dynamics of forum discussion are more conversational than those found in formal writing. Why? Because that allows for more efficient communication. For example, in my last reply to you, it would have been more efficient for me to post "gotcha Wink" than it would have been for me to post something like "I now understand.", despite the fact that the meanings of these posts are synonymous and the latter is actually more structurally 'proper.' The first post would be more appropriate for forum discussion, because it is more efficient. Similarly, this fragment of yours is actually a more appropriate post than something like "It is the same with separate." Despite your use of the fragment, I understood precisely what you were attempting to convey, so the latter would have been superfluous. Herein lies the similarity between conversation and forum discussion: We prioritize efficiency over formal structure.

The proverb "less is more" is applicable under many circumstances, as it is in the context forum discussion. This doesn't mean that you should make up your own rules and post incoherent content. Communication is the intention--a requisite that such things can hinder. As long as those you are communicating to receive your message as intended, you should deliver your message in the least words possible. That is efficient, and optimal.

JoeHamilton

Aug 2, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #169 of 273 (4913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They will argue this for two apparent reasons. 1; you said it. 2; I tried to say the same thing in less formal form, and was told we are not talking, we are writing.
This leads me to still think even with my mistakes, some are so over educated that the Internet forum world, is just too simplistic for them. Or too anal to be able to actually understand the new forms of dialog.

Also not directed at any one source or person.

jt512

Aug 2, 2011, 3:12 AM
Post #170 of 273 (4901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
t the Internet forum world, is just too simplistic for them. Or too anal to be able to actually understand the new forms of dialog.

So much for your professed sincerity to improve. Down deep you can't accept responsibility for your deficient writing skills. It can't possibly be your fault for writing incomprehensibly; it must be the fault of those who can write: their education prevents from them understanding incoherent writing! Yeah, that's it!

Here are the consequences of your attitude: you'll continue to write incoherently and thus fail to communicate your ideas to others, and the rest of us won't give a damn.

You had your chance.

Jay

Kartessa

Aug 2, 2011, 4:01 AM
Post #171 of 273 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Joe,

Write however you want to write - just don't be surprised if people stop replying to you because you're the new Jacques.

At least that guy has an excuse... he's foreign.

I still don't read his posts without Google translator handy to put them back into French where they make sense.

johnwesely

Aug 2, 2011, 4:37 AM
Post #172 of 273 (4875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Joe,

Write however you want to write - just don't be surprised if people stop replying to you because you're the new Jacques.

At least that guy has an excuse... he's foreign fake.

I still don't read his posts without Google translator handy to put them back into French where they make sense.

JoeHamilton

Aug 2, 2011, 1:38 PM
Post #173 of 273 (4844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
t the Internet forum world, is just too simplistic for them. Or too anal to be able to actually understand the new forms of dialog.

So much for your professed sincerity to improve. Down deep you can't accept responsibility for your deficient writing skills. It can't possibly be your fault for writing incomprehensibly; it must be the fault of those who can write: their education prevents from them understanding incoherent writing! Yeah, that's it!

You took one sentance, and focused only on what you took personal. It was not written to you, nor to anyone else. The above post was in response to what learner wrote. Also, how is it my simple mind had a feeling you would be the first to respond and argue what was said?

Here are the consequences of your attitude: you'll continue to write incoherently and thus fail to communicate your ideas to others, and the rest of us won't give a damn.

You had your chance.

Jay

sungam

Aug 2, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #174 of 273 (4835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
jt512 wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

You had your chance.

Jay
You took one sentance, and focused only on what you took personal. It was not written to you, nor to anyone else. The above post was in response to what learner wrote. Also, how is it my simple mind had a feeling you would be the first to respond and argue what was said?
Fixed your CT for you. Cool

Srsly, though. Proof read.

Here is a short rant I posted like 6 or so years ago:

"I recently moved, it was a long, stuttered, drawn out ordeal.it kept me out of steady training for about 2 mounths. then my exams started, so it was 3mounths with little training (ie once a week tops)
I just put up my new fingerboard, i used to use the one at my friends house, and omfg i SUCK i couldn't do a tenth what i could do!"

Not quite as bad as your writing, but pretty shoddy. Then I learnt to proof-read. As discussed earlier I have very little schooling in writing (I am SICK at my times tables, though. Thank you dad!), but with a little effort and proof reading I can usually churn out something understandable.

csproul

Aug 2, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #175 of 273 (4834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
jt512 wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

You had your chance.

Jay
Good Lord! Not only are you completely incomprehensible, you're too dumb to figure out how to use the quote button. Unbelievable.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook