RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

tequilaboom

Sep 8, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Time to Buy Cams?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey people,

Is there a cheaper time to buy cams? Do they go on sale during the winter months?

Also what do you guys think about buying cams second hand? I understand the risks involved in purchasing second hand equipment (for example I wouldn't buy slings or webbing second hand, because I can't inspect it very well). If I do purchase cams second hand, what should I be looking for?

Finally, I saw a youtube video (by Mike Barter?) who says you can still get the first generation (solid stem) cams...is that true?

Marylandclimber

Sep 8, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tequilaboom] Time to Buy Cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about sales but Black Diamoind C4 camolot cams are THE best cams and are around 60$.

tolman_paul

Sep 8, 2011, 9:50 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technical climbing gear usually doesn't go on sale seasonally. That said with online retailers and places that buy up other places that go out of business, you can occasionally come across good deals.

When you say first gen solid stem cams, are you talking about the Wild Country rigid friends? I haven't seen one for sale for quite awile, but I do still have some on my rack. I highly recomend avoiding the #1 size as they are notorious for getting stuck into cracks and not being able to remove them. Other than that, my 1 1/2 is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I'm also a fan of camelots, I still use an original set, back when they were only availbe in 1-4 with the U handle. I definately prefer the newer single cable stem, and am working on doubling up my old set with a new set from .5 to 5.

As far as second hand gear, I have a tough time convincing myself that's a good way to go on a piece of gear that may keep from getting injured or killed. Then again, if I got a ripping deal on a set of micro cams for aiding, I'd probably jump on it.

surfstar

Sep 8, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...s;page=unread#unread

jeepnphreak

Sep 10, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep you eye out on spadout.com
mountainproject and there dirt bag deals.

I just found metelous mater cams for 40% off! too bad the sale ends today. Just got me a 5 and 4 master to add to the rack...

johnwesely

Sep 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Time to Buy Cams? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
Technical climbing gear usually doesn't go on sale seasonally. That said with online retailers and places that buy up other places that go out of business, you can occasionally come across good deals.

When you say first gen solid stem cams, are you talking about the Wild Country rigid friends? I haven't seen one for sale for quite awile, but I do still have some on my rack. I highly recomend avoiding the #1 size as they are notorious for getting stuck into cracks and not being able to remove them. Other than that, my 1 1/2 is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I'm also a fan of camelots, I still use an original set, back when they were only availbe in 1-4 with the U handle. I definately prefer the newer single cable stem, and am working on doubling up my old set with a new set from .5 to 5.

As far as second hand gear, I have a tough time convincing myself that's a good way to go on a piece of gear that may keep from getting injured or killed. Then again, if I got a ripping deal on a set of micro cams for aiding, I'd probably jump on it.

You climb on the original, super sketchy U Stem Camalots but are way of used gear?

jjones16

Sep 13, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No real "cheaper" time, or season to buy cams. I've never bought a cam new that wasn't at least 20% off retail price. The interweb is great for finding deals. I've bought a couple used cams, but all the parts (trigger, stem, wires, lobes, axle and thumb loop) were all in great condition. I don't regret buying them at all. As for the price of Camalots, it could be better. Paying the same price for a .3 as a 1 is ridiculous, but that's what BD charges. Metolius Master Cams are great cams too; although you won't find them in the larger size ranges. I actually prefer Master Cams for anything under a size 1 Camalot (which is a size 6 Master Cam).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook