Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Going to Shuteye Ridge for the first time this weekend
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

randy88fj62

Oct 12, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Going to Shuteye Ridge for the first time this weekend  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Shuteye_Ridge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,
I am headed to Shuteye ridge this weekend with my girlfriend. Ever since I saw the article in climbing magazine a year or two ago I've wanted to go. I would appreciate any and all pointers anyone is willing to offer. We are trad climbers that lead up to 5.9.

What's the best place to camp? Soda springs?
What are the best trad routes?
Any classic routes that are a must do?
I'm assuming the roads are open?
I have a built up landcruiser, can I get closer by wheeling in on rough roads?

I plan on camping friday night at soda springs. Anyone is welcome to join us for the weekend. I will have plenty of firewood.
-Randy

alter_nate

Oct 12, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [randy88fj62] Going to Shuteye Ridge for the first time this weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Randy,
I highly recommend also posting up your query on the following southern yosemite thread on the Supertopo forum:
http://www.supertopo.com/...d=779298&tn=2080

Maybe you've followed it, but the thread has been running for several years now, and although it's a ton to wade thru, most of the current activists and climbers in the region post quite regularly.

The east side of the ridge has the highest concentration of trad climbing opportunities, so Soda Springs is a decent central location although I'd recommend the (free but no ammenities) Grey Eagle camping area, being closer to the crags. Follow the Shuteye Pass road, always staying left, to it's end. The trail departs from the few camping spots there.

Slater's article in climbing, to which you may refer, also had good info on access and routes along the southern end of the ridge. Link:
http://www.climbing.com/...-up_call/index3.html

(This post was edited by alter_nate on Oct 12, 2011, 6:12 PM)

mikeclimbingdude

Oct 12, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [randy88fj62] Going to Shuteye Ridge for the first time this weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi, i put up some info and topos on rockclimbing.com, shuteye area. capt.obvious on gray eagle is great 3 pitch 5.8, if you stay at soda spring c.g. your right next to chiquito dome, and this dome has the super fun 5 star 18 clip sport route, le grande, 5.10b, and the fist pitch of elegance is super fun, and to the right of elegance is a short but fun mixed 5.8, hope this is helpful, happy climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook