Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

stoneguy

Nov 14, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #26 of 57 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mark_Hudon] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Across the board, " Thanks guys" for a largely consistent response.

patto

Nov 14, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #27 of 57 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stoneguy] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some real world pull testing of micros here:

http://www.chockstone.org/...p;Replies=14#NewPost

Partner j_ung

Nov 14, 2011, 9:56 PM
Post #28 of 57 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
stoneguy wrote:
Nuts. With only thin cracks do you try to use them in groups or trust them singly.

It depends. Whats the type of rock, breaking strength of the nut, quality of the placement and length of the fall? Also, who is belaying me and is it on the first pitch or is the belayer anchored in?

And how far off the deck are you and how much rope drag do you have? I rarely climb above one of those things with confidence in it and never with complete confidence. I often place them close together when I place them at all, and in a few cases I remember, I built mini life nests of three in close proximity.

stoneguy

Nov 14, 2011, 9:56 PM
Post #29 of 57 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well that was worth just for the Aussie humor, and yes I love the real-world tests-thanks.

bearbreeder

Nov 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #30 of 57 (2301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i trust a good micronut in good rock over an equivalent microcam anyday

one of my favorite cool down climbs, the crux is all micronuts ... in fact the entire climb is done on smaller nuts ... an easy 11a dihedral

often its not a matter of choice as to what is "better" ... when you need to use micronuts, your often have no choice, because nothing else will fit, or youre out of anything else that will fit

use em ... and place more than usual stance permitting

carry em ... as they weight nothing and when ya need em youll be thanking god

stoneguy

Nov 15, 2011, 3:30 AM
Post #31 of 57 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any chance you'd have stats on failure rates or test results. (or links obviously). Thanks.

bearbreeder

Nov 15, 2011, 5:23 AM
Post #32 of 57 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely none other than what ive seen pull and what more experienced people that i know have told me

Same as most other statements on rc ... Take it with a bag of salt

patto

Nov 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #33 of 57 (2245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stoneguy wrote:
Any chance you'd have stats on failure rates or test results. (or links obviously). Thanks.

Already posted above.

hyhuu

Nov 15, 2011, 1:39 PM
Post #34 of 57 (2227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Such a generalized question. Is this why it is not in the Trad forum? Micro nuts come in differnent shape, size, metallergy and strength rating. The biggest size of micro is stronger than the smallest regular nut and the smallest of anything is for aiding climbing. Personally I trust the micros to do exactly what they are designed to do, just like any other gears.

patto

Nov 15, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #35 of 57 (2214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
The biggest size of micro is stronger than the smallest regular nut and the smallest of anything is for aiding climbing.

No. Even the smallest micros get used for trad protection.

Cruxes on quite a few classic climbs at Arapiles are only protectable on micros. RPs were made specifically for these sorts of climbs.

(Of course European regulations mean anything less than 5kN is designated Aid only.)

(This post was edited by patto on Nov 15, 2011, 3:24 PM)

johnwesely

Nov 15, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #36 of 57 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
hyhuu wrote:
The biggest size of micro is stronger than the smallest regular nut and the smallest of anything is for aiding climbing.

Cruxes on quite a few classic climbs at Arapiles are only protectable on micros. RPs were made specifically for these sorts of climbs.

(Of course European regulations mean anything less than 5kN is designated Aid only.)

I used and sort of fell on a 1 rp once. I wouldn't want to do it again though.

hyhuu

Nov 15, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #37 of 57 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
hyhuu wrote:

I'm sure plenty of people use them for trad including myself but given the breaking strengt of the BD #1 micro at 2kN, I'm sure it's not intended for a whipper on trad. Heck, even BD said so. I'm sure you have a point somewhere I just am not sure what it is.

IsayAutumn

Nov 15, 2011, 6:09 PM
Post #38 of 57 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
patto wrote:
hyhuu wrote:

I used and sort of fell on a 1 rp once. I wouldn't want to do it again though.

I use BD micros and place them fairly often. I have fallen on them many times. I have pulled a few. They did not break, but they came out do to bad placements (meaning, it was all I could get, so I took it). My biggest fall onto a micro was between 10-15 feet. That only happened because the one above it blew out, so that may have reduced the force on the one that held me.

I have used and fallen on them in granite (rarely), but mostly at Seneca and New River Gorge.

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2011, 6:48 PM
Post #39 of 57 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard to use harder micros in softer stone (i.e. BD micros in sandstone) and to use softer micros in harder stone (brassies in granite).

Anyone care to comment on this?

rock_fencer

Nov 15, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #40 of 57 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought it was the reverse. Use brass in soft stone so it deforms to the rock and pretty much anything goes in the harder rocks (granite etc...)

i only own offset brassies and they always come with me regardless of aid or gear routes. I've never whipped on them though.

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #41 of 57 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a couple of BD micros but usually have had HB brass offsets. So now I'd like to know more since I can make the choice.

Partner cracklover

Nov 15, 2011, 8:08 PM
Post #42 of 57 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I just bought a couple of BD micros but usually have had HB brass offsets. So now I'd like to know more since I can make the choice.

IME, on shallow placements, the hard BD micros tend to skitter off hard crystals, allowing the placement to fail, where the softer brass would deform around the crystal and stay in place.

GO

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #43 of 57 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

IME, on shallow placements, the hard BD micros tend to skitter off hard crystals, allowing the placement to fail, where the softer brass would deform around the crystal and stay in place.

GO

That seems in keeping with what I've previously heard. In the other case, a harder piece will burrow into the softer rock somewhat (assuming it doesn't blow). I'm still a little confused on the disadvantage of softer piece in softer rock though. Too hard to extract?

Partner cracklover

Nov 15, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #44 of 57 (2119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

GO

That seems in keeping with what I've previously heard. In the other case, a harder piece will burrow into the softer rock somewhat (assuming it doesn't blow). I'm still a little confused on the disadvantage of softer piece in softer rock though. Too hard to extract?

I know you've just bought the BD micros, and I hate to rain on the parade, but to be perfectly blunt, I've never yet seen a placement where I'd rather have a BD Micronut.

The only thing I can think of is a situation in which you've got a perfect bottleneck placement in good hard rock, but imperfect contact with the rock, and the possibility of taking a big whip on it. In that case, the extra hardness might keep the piece from deforming and pulling out of the rock. Can't say as I've ever been in that position, though (nor would I want to be, lol).

GO

Partner climboard

Nov 15, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #45 of 57 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's funny, I have seen the same statements and arguments surrounding micronuts for years yet I rarely see any factual data, just anecdotal evidence.

Manufacturers are pretty tight-lipped about the hardness of the materials they use. The only reference I have come across is a Clyde Soles article in Rock and Ice #66 back in 1995. He sent out batches of nuts to a lab to determine the Rockwell rating. The results are below.

BD Stoppers, Aluminum, 56.
BD Micros, Copper/Iron, 41.
HB Offsets, Silicon Bronze, 25.
Pacific Crossing RPs, Brass, 51

As you can see, the BDs are actually softer than the RPs, and both are softer than a standard BD aluminum nut.

In the end, effective use of micronuts is much more dependent on the quality of the rock and the placement, and not the hardness of the material.

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #46 of 57 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

GO

I know you've just bought the BD micros, and I hate to rain on the parade, but to be perfectly blunt, I've never yet seen a placement where I'd rather have a BD Micronut.

The only thing I can think of is a situation in which you've got a perfect bottleneck placement in good hard rock, but imperfect contact with the rock, and the possibility of taking a big whip on it. In that case, the extra hardness might keep the piece from deforming and pulling out of the rock. Can't say as I've ever been in that position, though (nor would I want to be, lol).

GO

Yeah, I understand. I had a good opportunity to pick up a couple (2) of the BD offset micros and thought I'd give them a try. I don't like them half as much as my HBs.

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #47 of 57 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climboard] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climboard wrote:
It's funny, I have seen the same statements and arguments surrounding micronuts for years yet I rarely see any factual data, just anecdotal evidence.

Manufacturers are pretty tight-lipped about the hardness of the materials they use. The only reference I have come across is a Clyde Soles article in Rock and Ice #66 back in 1995. He sent out batches of nuts to a lab to determine the Rockwell rating. The results are below.

BD Stoppers, Aluminum, 56.
BD Micros, Copper/Iron, 41.
HB Offsets, Silicon Bronze, 25.
Pacific Crossing RPs, Brass, 51

As you can see, the BDs are actually softer than the RPs, and both are softer than a standard BD aluminum nut.

In the end, effective use of micronuts is much more dependent on the quality of the rock and the placement, and not the hardness of the material.

I was actually referring (at least in my head) to HB offsets, and not RPs.

notapplicable

Nov 16, 2011, 4:37 AM
Post #48 of 57 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

GO

GO

I carry a combination of the BD micros and DMM peenuts and seem to place them both pretty often. I've found that the profile of the BD micros lets them fit in and out of little nooks and crannies better than some other brands, some of the time. The wires seem a bit stiffer too, which can be good or bad, depending on what I'm trying to do with it.

Personally, I like em.

hyhuu

Nov 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #49 of 57 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For each type of micros there is a "as good as a micro placement can get" for them depending where you climb. I bet in most if not all cases, they are all about fit and have little to do with metallergy (just like other gears). If sandstone or whatever rock is indeed "soft" then I doubt if any small micros would be useful. So talk with your local. Generalization claiming about one type over another is useless.

shockabuku

Nov 16, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #50 of 57 (2049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] How much do you trust micros ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
For each type of micros there is a "as good as a micro placement can get" for them depending where you climb. I bet in most if not all cases, they are all about fit and have little to do with metallergy (just like other gears). If sandstone or whatever rock is indeed "soft" then I doubt if any small micros would be useful. So talk with your local. Generalization claiming about one type over another is useless.

Undoubtedly someone in the world has pretty comprehensive and definitive knowledge of the use of micros. It is admittedly not me, and it is obviously not you, so I'll just keep waiting for them to chime in.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook