RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bearbreeder

Dec 16, 2011, 8:59 PM
Post #1 of 19 (7756 views)
Shortcut

Climb Like a Girl
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hmmmm ....

Women tend to carry less upper body muscle than men. So a newbie male rockclimber with upper body strength can often muscle his way up a beginner route. He can wrap his hands around some meaty holds and haul himself up the rock face in a series of pull-up-like moves. This strategy will get the job done. It can also blow out his shoulders and “pump out” his forearms. And it won’t make him a better climber in the long run.

A conditioned climber relies on precise footwork, fluid body movement, power in the lower body for dynamic movements and a bad-ass sense of balance. A newbie with strong back muscles can skimp on these qualities for a while, but at some point he’ll be facing a rock slab with tiny rock chips for hands holds. To get up this climb, he’ll need to use those chips as balance points as he tightens his core and presses his toes into the rock. This climbing is all about flexibility and agility. Push-ups and pull-ups won’t get you there.

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/...11/12/15/climb-girl/

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 16, 2011, 9:00 PM)

shimanilami

Dec 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #2 of 19 (7703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hmmmm....

People here are always saying that Bearbreeder climbs like a girl, presumably because of the way he shrieks when when he gets more than a foot above his last bolt, or his predilection for wearing pink legwarmers and hairbands, or the way he always asks for a "bathroom buddy" when he needs to take a piss.

Please, Bearbreeder, don't try to pretend that this is what they really meant.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Dec 16, 2011, 10:33 PM)

bearbreeder

Dec 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 19 (7688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well you obviously PMS more than a girl Tongue

shimanilami

Dec 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 19 (7686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Touche, my friend!Cool

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #5 of 19 (7595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
hmmmm ....

Women tend to carry less upper body muscle than men. So a newbie male rockclimber with upper body strength can often muscle his way up a beginner route. He can wrap his hands around some meaty holds and haul himself up the rock face in a series of pull-up-like moves. This strategy will get the job done. It can also blow out his shoulders and “pump out” his forearms. And it won’t make him a better climber in the long run.

A conditioned climber relies on precise footwork, fluid body movement, power in the lower body for dynamic movements and a bad-ass sense of balance. A newbie with strong back muscles can skimp on these qualities for a while, but at some point he’ll be facing a rock slab with tiny rock chips for hands holds. To get up this climb, he’ll need to use those chips as balance points as he tightens his core and presses his toes into the rock. This climbing is all about flexibility and agility. Push-ups and pull-ups won’t get you there.

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/...11/12/15/climb-girl/

Nothing new here. Been here this for a couple decades now.

shockabuku

Dec 17, 2011, 3:00 AM
Post #6 of 19 (7569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Been here this for a couple decades now.

What?

coastal_climber

Dec 17, 2011, 3:25 AM
Post #7 of 19 (7554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Been hearing this for a couple decades now.

What?

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #8 of 19 (7526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

What?

Thanks, big big typo.

damienclimber

Dec 19, 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #9 of 19 (7375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

What?

I believe its from Nate Gold !

tH1e-swiN1e

Dec 19, 2011, 4:43 PM
Post #10 of 19 (7252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But overhang is more fun.

mr.tastycakes

Dec 19, 2011, 4:58 PM
Post #11 of 19 (7241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

The article is....nice. It's encouraging to women who might be nervous about getting on the rock, and I'm all for that. But the whole "Climb like a girl" adage is dumb. Newbie women are just as bad as newbie men. They get alligator arms, paw the wall with their feet, overgrip and pull too much...all the typical stuff for a new climber.

Climb like a skilled climber. Gender doesn't have much to do with it.

bearbreeder

Dec 19, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #12 of 19 (7191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
The article is....nice. It's encouraging to women who might be nervous about getting on the rock, and I'm all for that. But the whole "Climb like a girl" adage is dumb. Newbie women are just as bad as newbie men. They get alligator arms, paw the wall with their feet, overgrip and pull too much...all the typical stuff for a new climber.

Climb like a skilled climber. Gender doesn't have much to do with it.

i somewhat disagree .... while there are many good and bad new girl and boy climbers ....

of the newish climbers (climbers who are fairly new to the gym) i take outdoors ... girls seem to have a much easier time on the less than vertical trad routes here ... they stay on their feet and quickly figure that you dont so much pull on cracks as walk up them ... the guys ive taken out tend to try to pull themselves up

two of the most amusing things ive seen in regards

- a "V6" gym climber i threw on a 10a finger crack since he wouldnt stop bragging ... he tried to power layback the crack and couldnt do the crux move ... the girl who was climbing on the route next to him (and a fairly new climber) and who had gotten up it fine through footwork said "come on you can do it i did it" ... the gym climber lowered off then, and started pouting for 30 min or so ...

- 2 strapping young men who i took to a slab area to develop footwork ... its the first time ive ever seen slab bouldering and slab dynos ... they were throwing for tiny crystals and sloppy microledges on low angle rock with all points free dynos ... to their credit they manage to haul themselves (and i mean HAUL) to the top on TR

the proper term should be climb with yr feet ... but women i find are forced to use their feet more ...

or maybe i just look at those lululemon encased legs more Tongue

Marylandclimber

Dec 19, 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #13 of 19 (7154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But, if you climb BETTER dynamic than why not do it? I know what your saying but still, some people are good at static and some better at dynamic. So whats wrong with that?

bearbreeder

Dec 19, 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #14 of 19 (7140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nothing as long as yr using yr feet for it ... and youre not trying to throw yrself on every move ...

use whatever move works best and most efficiently

i sometimes hear the "oh but i can get to the top pulling with my hands and throwing for stuff" ... my response is "sweet !!! ... lets put you a hard trad climb and have you place gear at the same time (on TR of course) ... or have you do that climbing 12+ pitches up the chief (seconding of course)"

for some reason no one has taken up my offer ...

jakedatc

Dec 20, 2011, 1:00 AM
Post #15 of 19 (7101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
nothing as long as yr using yr feet for it ... and youre not trying to throw yrself on every move ...

i sometimes hear the "oh but i can get to the top pulling with my hands and throwing for stuff" ... my response is "sweet !!! ... lets put you a hard trad climb and have you place gear at the same time (on TR of course) ... or have you do that climbing 12+ pitches up the chief (seconding of course)"

I guess you missed what Dosage or Rampage when Sharma does a big trad line up your beloved Chief with all the pitches in the .12 range?

i'd love to see you get after the big roofs at RRG with your slab stylie moves..

also climb like a girl is outdated. check out Alex Johnson, Alex Puccio, Sasha D to some extent, etc they are all just as happy throwing for stuff and doing burly moves as they are being techy and delicate.

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2011, 1:48 AM
Post #16 of 19 (7086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

I guess you missed what Dosage or Rampage when Sharma does a big trad line up your beloved Chief with all the pitches in the .12 range?

i'd love to see you get after the big roofs at RRG with your slab stylie moves..

also climb like a girl is outdated. check out Alex Johnson, Alex Puccio, Sasha D to some extent, etc they are all just as happy throwing for stuff and doing burly moves as they are being techy and delicate.

Lisa Rands too

bearbreeder

Dec 20, 2011, 2:21 AM
Post #17 of 19 (7072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

are you sharma? ...perhaps you can NAME the exact route they did and the film it was in ????? ... i have all yr aforementioned movies and im not aware of a trad route up the squamish chief where all the pitches are in the 12s which sharma climbed in those movies ... but then i dont think you will mista jake Tongue

as i said there is nothing wrong with making bigger moves, if you NEED to throw, you throw ... but can you do so with every move???

we ARE talking about newer climbers here in the article ... i guess you would tell em to just haul themselves up ... Wink

for myself the steeper the ground the MORE important my footwork is ... and body positioning

but hey if footwork aint important to ya ... thats yr choice Crazy

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 20, 2011, 2:35 AM)

bearbreeder

Dec 20, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #18 of 19 (7067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Climb Like a Girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Lisa Rands too

peter croft and lisa rands do long multipitch trad ...

no crazy dynos there ... her footwork looks damn good ... peters looks even bettter Tongue

she looks nice and relaxed ... till the part she falls of course Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGA1vI2HxTs

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2011, 5:02 PM
Post #19 of 19 (6957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Lisa Rands too

peter croft and lisa rands do long multipitch trad ...

no crazy dynos there ... her footwork looks damn good ... peters looks even bettter Tongue

she looks nice and relaxed ... till the part she falls of course Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGA1vI2HxTs

Note the text to which I was responding:
In reply to:
check out Alex Johnson, Alex Puccio, Sasha D to some extent, etcthey are all just as happy throwing for stuff and doing burly moves as they are being techy and delicate.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook