RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sapiecha

Apr 20, 2012, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Anyone been to Seneca Rocks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey!
Just wondering if anyone has done some easy multipitch routes at Seneca Rocks? We are planning on going down there for a weekend to do a couple routes. This will be our first time in that area, and are looking to do Gunsight South, and Ecstasy, and whatever else we can cram in to two days.

Just wondering if its easy to follow the guidebook? Since we only have to days, we were concerned about finding routes, paths, rap stations, etc., since we don't want to waste much time. I know with some areas, you walk up and find routes, and beta very easily. And other areas you have to search for hours, and easily find yourself off route.

Any help, beta, or info would help a lot!

Thanks,

-M.

Dip

Apr 20, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sapiecha] Anyone been to Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sapiecha wrote:
Hey!
Just wondering if anyone has done some easy multipitch routes at Seneca Rocks? We are planning on going down there for a weekend to do a couple routes. This will be our first time in that area, and are looking to do Gunsight South, and Ecstasy, and whatever else we can cram in to two days.

Just wondering if its easy to follow the guidebook? Since we only have to days, we were concerned about finding routes, paths, rap stations, etc., since we don't want to waste much time. I know with some areas, you walk up and find routes, and beta very easily. And other areas you have to search for hours, and easily find yourself off route.

Any help, beta, or info would help a lot!

Thanks,

-M.

I didn't find it all that easy to find the routes i was looking for, but then again i'm retarded when it comes to translating guidebooks into real life, so take that for what it's worth. Gunsight to South Peak is friggin amazing, you can throw the grade right out the window on that one, it simply doesn't matter. In regards to your second selection, do you mean Ecstasy or Ecstasy Jr? I ask because there are certainly better 5.7's there than Ecstasy. Not that it's anywhere close to bad, just that Seneca has some really, really good climbs at that grade.

If you're looking for other climbs in the realm of Gunsight and Ecstasy jr, check out Candy Corner (5.5).

sapiecha

Apr 20, 2012, 5:16 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Anyone been to Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great to know! I'll def. check that route out. I also suffer from retarded route finding, but hoping for a little luck. Gunsight, from what I hear, is pretty sweet for an easy route, and is definitely the main reason for the trip.

Thanks for your input!

mheyman

Apr 20, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The guide book is accurate, but not easy to follow (but at least easier to read than the old version) Study it very thoroughly. Many routes go to a ledge or from a ledge and you need to go from to one to the next to get to the top.

Look for on-line info about the trail(s) or talk to people there, especially to routes on the west side.

jp_sucks

Apr 20, 2012, 7:33 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The good news is that it's a busy place so if you're not sure where you are or where a route is, just ask someone.

sapiecha

Apr 20, 2012, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Anyone been to Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to know! Thanks!

naitch

Apr 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the comment of asking people there where routes start. Some routes can wander and be a challenge for someone new to the area.
Gun Sight to South Peak Direct - better than the regular one and a grade harder. Stellar.

Re Ecstasy, there are many other good .7s as stated but there is a reason why it has a star and reputation. However, it's also one that usually you have to be the first one on the crag in the morning because it gets busy.

sapiecha

Apr 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Anyone been to Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome thanks, I didn't realize that it gets so busy there. We were at new river 2 weeks ago and had a few walls all to ourselves at times, and this was on the long weekend! As oppose to the red river crowds..

I guess Seneca is a pretty unique place that brings on some crowds.

lofstromc

Apr 21, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My intro to Seneca was climbing Ecstacy Jr. and then walking from there past Humphreys Head to get to the Broadway Ledge and then walking to Gunsight to South Summit. It was memorable and I'd recommend that.

(This post was edited by lofstromc on Apr 21, 2012, 1:09 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook