RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

CrazyCarl

May 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #1 of 23 (9916 views)
Shortcut

Shoes for Beginners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

My name is Carl and I first started rock climbing about 7 months ago. Until recently I was pretty casual, going to the rock climbing gym once every week or two weeks. Now I"ve gotten alot more serious and am going every other day(I'd go everyday if my schedule would allow it) and I'm loving it. I'm at the moment a bouldering purist.

So I've decided to sink some hard cash into this and I was wanting to get some advice on shoes.
Specifically:

1. Which are the best brands?
2. What size should I get?

I wear a street shoe size of 8.5. I've heard two schools of thought. One school says it should be as tight as humanly possible to give you more control. The other says that when you're a beginner you should wear shoes that are tight but comfortable as you're not good enough yet for the really aggressive shoes to make a difference in your climbing. You just need shoes that will get the job done and allow you to climb as much as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

pspnevo3

May 25, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 23 (9887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyCarl] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what to do -

CrazyCarl wrote:
...when you're a beginner you should wear shoes that are tight but comfortable as you're not good enough yet for the really aggressive shoes to make a difference in your climbing. You just need shoes that will get the job done and allow you to climb as much as possible.

I cant tell you which brand/size perfectly, but a couple things that will help:

1 LaSportiva are good for narrow feet (I love mine)
2 You need to try shoes on before you buy
3 Get shoes with a thick stiffer sole. You don't need downturned slippers

Walk around the store for 5 minutes and try standing on hold or the edges of steps to get a feel for how they will feel to climb in. Your toes should touch the end, but they do need to be comfortable enough to wear for a while. If you're only thinking about how much your feet hurt while climbing, you're not going to have any fun.

jp_sucks

May 25, 2012, 3:03 PM
Post #3 of 23 (9877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely don't get a super tight shoe, you won't find any extra performance at your stage and you'll be really uncomfortable.

Foot shape will play a big part. As mentioned above, La Sportiva is narrow, 5.10 shoes are pretty wide (I think most Evolv shoes are wide too).

Go to a store and try a bunch of models on. Then buy the lowest priced pair out of the ones that fit well. May as well save some money and put it towards your next pair when you have more of an idea what suits your climbing style best.

A good example of what to look for is a shoe like the Evolv Defy which has a thick rand and does everything well at a lower price: http://www.backcountry.com/evolv-defy-climbing-shoe (if it fits!!)

wmshub

May 25, 2012, 3:59 PM
Post #4 of 23 (9864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Definitely don't get a super tight shoe, you won't find any extra performance at your stage and you'll be really uncomfortable.
I'd disagree with this. I'm pretty much a beginner too (started in February, climb once or twice a week). I first bought a pair of shoes that fit just a little bit tighter than a street shoe (they were Mad Rock Phoenixes). Within a month I realized that they were too loose, I couldn't trust my weight on small footholds because my foot was sliding around inside the shoe. I switched to a pair of Sportiva Mythos that were much smaller than my street shoes. They were so small that I could barely force my feet in. It was amazing how much easier many of the climbs became, it was worth the discomfort. And the Mythos have stretched since I bought them, so they are pretty comfortable to wear now.

So I'd recommend that even beginners buy shoes that are as small as you can stand it. It's worth it and you'll climb better in them. I won't dispute that a high performance, downturned shoe isn't needed though.

jp_sucks

May 25, 2012, 4:03 PM
Post #5 of 23 (9860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmshub] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you bought a pair that were way too big for you the first time. I'm not recommending that anyone buy loose shoes, but that they don't go to far the other way either.

I've seen too many beginners buy shoes way too tight and be incredibly uncomfortable for the life of the shoe. It's really important to find something in between and NOT get something too tight.

Just my two cents (after working as a guide and instructor for many years and teaching hundreds of beginners how to climb).

bearbreeder

May 25, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #6 of 23 (9848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if yr feet r in pain youll have a hard time focusing on footwork

snug, not painfully tight ...

shockabuku

May 25, 2012, 5:33 PM
Post #7 of 23 (9837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmshub wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:
I'd disagree with this. I'm pretty much a beginner too (started in February, climb once or twice a week). I first bought a pair of shoes that fit just a little bit tighter than a street shoe (they were Mad Rock Phoenixes). Within a month I realized that they were too loose, I couldn't trust my weight on small footholds because my foot was sliding around inside the shoe. I switched to a pair of Sportiva Mythos that were much smaller than my street shoes. They were so small that I could barely force my feet in. It was amazing how much easier many of the climbs became, it was worth the discomfort. And the Mythos have stretched since I bought them, so they are pretty comfortable to wear now.

So I'd recommend that even beginners buy shoes that are as small as you can stand it. It's worth it and you'll climb better in them. I won't dispute that a high performance, downturned shoe isn't needed though.

You disagree because you bought a pair of Mythos. They stretch more than probably any other shoe on the market.

If you had bought a pair of synthetic shoes that didn't stretch at all you might think differently. A reasonable degree of comfort is necessary if you only own one pair of shoes.

You apparently got your first pair too loose. Street shoe size is irrelevant; trying new shoes on and judging what fits well and what doesn't is crucial. Unfortunately that judgement usually takes a few pairs of shoes to develop.

Kartessa

May 25, 2012, 6:12 PM
Post #8 of 23 (9827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

wmshub wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:

Gee golly.. My first chance to say:

STFU N00B

Shoes shouldn't hurt when you're starting. Period.

CrazyCarl

May 25, 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #9 of 23 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pspnevo3] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I recently bought the very aggressive Scarpa Vapor V size 7 at REI and tried it. It was agonizing just to walk around and I was taking the shoes off after every climb to massage out the insane cramps I was getting. Then I went to a size 7 & 2/3. That felt too loose so I've ordered a 7.5 Vapor V and I think that will work.

But I hear the name LaSportiva thrown around alot and I haven't heard much of Scarpa. The shoe seems to be of great quality and it fits my foot well. But everyone seems to like LaSportiva, think I should return the Vapor V and try LaSportiva or just stick with what I got?

(This post was edited by CrazyCarl on May 25, 2012, 8:26 PM)

wmshub

May 25, 2012, 8:32 PM
Post #10 of 23 (9789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

STFU N00B

Well I'm glad I gave you a chance to get that out of your system. But I gave my experiences, it is what happened to me, for me the supertight shoes were the right thing. Shockabuku disagreed with me in a more useful way, by pointing out that the shoes I bought tend to stretch a lot, so buying them supertight might mean that they fit correctly once they're broken in. But I guess that you were more interested in being an ass than in saying anything helpful.

(This post was edited by wmshub on May 25, 2012, 8:56 PM)

pspnevo3

May 25, 2012, 8:46 PM
Post #11 of 23 (9781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think now that you've honed in on what size you really need, no. Don't switch to La Sportiva just cause you hear the name a lot. I even say that, being someone who has only bought sportiva. The reason I have stuck with Sportiva is because I have the ability to try them on locally and do not have that ability with Scarpa. I actually really like the look of the Scarpa Boostic. They look like good shoes

curt

May 25, 2012, 9:24 PM
Post #12 of 23 (9766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmshub wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

STFU N00B

Well I'm glad I gave you a chance to get that out of your system. But I gave my experiences, it is what happened to me, for me the supertight shoes were the right thing...

Really tight climbing shoes can sometimes help you compensate for lack of good technique--but that's about it. Once you develop good footwork, the need for painfully tight shoes will most likely go away.

Curt

unsunken

May 25, 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #13 of 23 (9748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would just get whatever fits comfortably and hurts your wallet least.

I bought my first pair of shoes when I didn't know anything (disclaimer: I still don't know much), just because they were $30. I now have the same exact pair of 5.10s in my street size, 1.5 sizes smaller. I can climb just as well (albeit not as confidently) in the bigger ones save for slab and some teeny footholds. Some people take to pain better than others, but the marginal benefit at my beginner/intermediate level is just not worth it to me.

shockabuku

May 26, 2012, 2:52 AM
Post #14 of 23 (9719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though I have bought many more pair of LaSportiva shoes than Scarpa, I'd say they are of comparative quality. Buy the ones that fit you best.

CrazyCarl

May 26, 2012, 3:48 AM
Post #15 of 23 (9708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pspnevo3] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, fortunately there's a REI right down the road from me. Thanks for the advice, and thanks everybody for the help and quick replies; rockclimbing.com has a great community.

theextremist04

May 26, 2012, 6:28 AM
Post #16 of 23 (9675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmshub wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:

What actually happened was that your shoes stretched- the Phoenix is unlined leather.

jae8908

May 27, 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #17 of 23 (9593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyCarl wrote:
Yeah, fortunately there's a REI right down the road from me. Thanks for the advice, and thanks everybody for the help and quick replies; rockclimbing.com has a great community.
The first time I've ever seen this!Shocked

guangzhou

May 28, 2012, 2:45 AM
Post #18 of 23 (9566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jae8908 wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:
Must be new here.

guangzhou

May 28, 2012, 2:50 AM
Post #19 of 23 (9564 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have avoid shoes that were so small they hurt. If my feet hurt, I won't use them when I am climbing.

I buy my just tight, but not painful. Shoes stretch, some more than others. Mythos come to mind as more.

They are other factors:

Where do you climb?
Slab, face, crack?

I love my 5,10 Macasyms and use them for everything, including crack climbing. When I was learning to crack climb, I used a stiffer shoe for sure. (Boreal Fire, the tan one)

jae8908

May 28, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #20 of 23 (9495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
jae8908 wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:
Must be new here.
You can see my registered date to the left. Must be new here.

outsidethelines

May 29, 2012, 1:13 AM
Post #21 of 23 (9467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyCarl wrote:
Yup, I recently bought the very aggressive Scarpa Vapor V size 7 at REI and tried it. It was agonizing just to walk around and I was taking the shoes off after every climb to massage out the insane cramps I was getting. Then I went to a size 7 & 2/3. That felt too loose so I've ordered a 7.5 Vapor V and I think that will work.

But I hear the name LaSportiva thrown around alot and I haven't heard much of Scarpa. The shoe seems to be of great quality and it fits my foot well. But everyone seems to like LaSportiva, think I should return the Vapor V and try LaSportiva or just stick with what I got?

I started out with a pair of Evolvs which worked fine for as long as I climbed in them. I bought a pair of Scarpas when I was starting to get a bit better with my footwork and had every intention of climbing in the Evolvs at the gym and when I was doing warmups. One week into using the Scarpas, I tossed my Evolvs to the back of the closet and exclusively climb in my Scarpas because they are perfect for me. Don't return them because of the brand, Scarpas are great shoes!

CrazyCarl

May 30, 2012, 6:15 AM
Post #22 of 23 (9347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [outsidethelines] Shoes for Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, just got my new pair in the mail today. They look and feel great!

Motumoyo

Jun 26, 2012, 5:04 AM
Post #23 of 23 (8747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will not find any additional performance and the stage, you are really uncomfortable.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook