Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sandstone

May 2, 2012, 1:30 PM
Post #26 of 53 (22015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
... the idea of comparing a car to a belay machine is kind of silly...

I wasn't comparing the machines, I was comparing two scenarios of human trust. The silliness is in the inconsistency of our trust.

petsfed

May 2, 2012, 3:26 PM
Post #27 of 53 (21984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
It's misrepresented because the belay machine requires fairly routine maintenance done by a human being.

You can read the manual on their webpage if you like. The routine maintenance is vacuuming the nozzle that the webbing comes out of on a weekly basis. Otherwise, the routine maintenance is an annual checkup. If you're only changing your oil once a year, you can probably expect a much higher failure rate.

I was trained up on the maintenance of these things; I don't think a simple maintenance issue was the source of the problem because the in-house maintenance is almost completely irrelevant to the safe operation of it.

Gmburns2000

May 2, 2012, 9:35 PM
Post #28 of 53 (21927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
It's misrepresented because the belay machine requires fairly routine maintenance done by a human being.

You can read the manual on their webpage if you like. The routine maintenance is vacuuming the nozzle that the webbing comes out of on a weekly basis. Otherwise, the routine maintenance is an annual checkup. If you're only changing your oil once a year, you can probably expect a much higher failure rate.

I was trained up on the maintenance of these things; I don't think a simple maintenance issue was the source of the problem because the in-house maintenance is almost completely irrelevant to the safe operation of it.

so what are the possible answers to what happened?

petsfed

May 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #29 of 53 (21902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No idea. I'm curious to read the accident report.

Like I said, if there is a maintenance issue, its wrapped up in that annual checkup, and either the manufacturer's failure during that checkup, or the operator's failure to send it in for that checkup, not the in-house maintenance that is, no joke, performed with something like a dustbuster.

JasonsDrivingForce

May 15, 2012, 4:48 PM
Post #30 of 53 (21547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Still no update on this? If it was the auto belay's fault I would have expected a recall or at least a "stop use" notice by now.

Is the climber recovering well?

Chi5

May 17, 2012, 4:24 AM
Post #31 of 53 (21405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wrote a letter to the company that makes the Trublue autobelay a couple days after the accident. Despite assurance on their website that they respond to all inquiries within a business day, I still hadn't heard back several weeks later. So I sent it again last week. Still no response. Any chance I ever had of getting back on an autobelay is gone. If the company completely ignores the concerns of their end user, it says a lot about their culture. Here's the letter I wrote if anyone is interested.

I am writing in regard to the April 21st incident in which a climber at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was severely injured after falling 30 feet as a result of the failure of your Trublue Auto Belay device. It has been rumored that the device had not been properly maintained and was overdue for its annual recertification. This letter assumes that this is indeed the case. While I expect that this clears your company of liability, the failure of such a device, one that people unquestioningly put their lives in the hands of every day, warrants some very serious questions.

Will your company be involved in the investigation into the failure of the device? If so, will you make the results of the investigation available to the public? My fellow climbers and I would be very interested to know what caused the failure and whether or not it could have been prevented had the device been maintained properly.

How can I, as a climber, know if a gym has been following the proper maintenance guidelines? Of all the gyms I have climbed in, I would have ranked the gym at UNC as the most trustworthy. It was a wall run without concern for profit, and it had the backing a major institution. If a gym with so much concern for policy and safety checks can have a device fail, how can I and my fellow climbers trust a smaller business that is concerned with profit above all else? How can we blindly trust a gym that might not be able to afford the $200 per device annual recertification fee so easily? Could there be some way of requiring gyms to post the auto belay’s certification in a place that is easily visible? (i.e. not on the back of the device 45 feet up so that one must use the device to see it.)

What can you, as a company, do to make climbers aware that their gym has missed its annual maintenance check? It seems that this would encourage gyms to properly maintain their equipment. I understand that you are under no legal obligation to implement such a policy, but if the annual recertification is really necessary to ensure the product’s safety, then you do have an ethical responsibility to inform those who risk their lives on your device that it is no longer safe for use.

What is the failure rate for your product? Have there been other cases of failure in actual use? Have these cases all been the result of improper maintenance or use? Are there any inherent flaws in the product that may cause failure even when proper safety is practiced?

I appreciate that your company seems to show great concern for the safety of the end user. I look forward to being able to use your devices again once my concerns have been answered and my fears of a similar incident alleviated. I sincerely appreciate the time you will take in reading and responding to my questions.

csproul

May 17, 2012, 1:27 PM
Post #32 of 53 (21371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chi5] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chi5 wrote:
I wrote a letter to the company that makes the Trublue autobelay a couple days after the accident. Despite assurance on their website that they respond to all inquiries within a business day, I still hadn't heard back several weeks later. So I sent it again last week. Still no response. Any chance I ever had of getting back on an autobelay is gone. If the company completely ignores the concerns of their end user, it says a lot about their culture. Here's the letter I wrote if anyone is interested.

I am writing in regard to the April 21st incident in which a climber at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was severely injured after falling 30 feet as a result of the failure of your Trublue Auto Belay device. It has been rumored that the device had not been properly maintained and was overdue for its annual recertification. This letter assumes that this is indeed the case. While I expect that this clears your company of liability, the failure of such a device, one that people unquestioningly put their lives in the hands of every day, warrants some very serious questions.

Will your company be involved in the investigation into the failure of the device? If so, will you make the results of the investigation available to the public? My fellow climbers and I would be very interested to know what caused the failure and whether or not it could have been prevented had the device been maintained properly.

How can I, as a climber, know if a gym has been following the proper maintenance guidelines? Of all the gyms I have climbed in, I would have ranked the gym at UNC as the most trustworthy. It was a wall run without concern for profit, and it had the backing a major institution. If a gym with so much concern for policy and safety checks can have a device fail, how can I and my fellow climbers trust a smaller business that is concerned with profit above all else? How can we blindly trust a gym that might not be able to afford the $200 per device annual recertification fee so easily? Could there be some way of requiring gyms to post the auto belay’s certification in a place that is easily visible? (i.e. not on the back of the device 45 feet up so that one must use the device to see it.)

What can you, as a company, do to make climbers aware that their gym has missed its annual maintenance check? It seems that this would encourage gyms to properly maintain their equipment. I understand that you are under no legal obligation to implement such a policy, but if the annual recertification is really necessary to ensure the product’s safety, then you do have an ethical responsibility to inform those who risk their lives on your device that it is no longer safe for use.

What is the failure rate for your product? Have there been other cases of failure in actual use? Have these cases all been the result of improper maintenance or use? Are there any inherent flaws in the product that may cause failure even when proper safety is practiced?

I appreciate that your company seems to show great concern for the safety of the end user. I look forward to being able to use your devices again once my concerns have been answered and my fears of a similar incident alleviated. I sincerely appreciate the time you will take in reading and responding to my questions.
There are 2 assumptions in your letter:

1) the autobelay failed and the fall was not a result of the climber incorrectly clipping into the device.

2) the device was not properly maintained and that led to the failure

As far as I know, neither has been established, at least publicly. Regardless, it is a shame that we have not heard from either UNC or from TruBlue.

Partner drector

May 17, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #33 of 53 (21322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the UNC website, the walls are still closed. No other information is available on the internet, from what I can tell.

For anyone interested in what your gym might be doing, here is a link to what appears to be the trublue user maintenance document:

http://www.slideshare.net/...belayoperatorsmanual

It is interesting what they leave up to the gym.

I would like to hear more about the accident if there is any news because I climb on these things often.

Dave

Chi5

May 17, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #34 of 53 (21312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

1) the autobelay failed and the fall was not a result of the climber incorrectly clipping into the device.

As far as I know, neither has been established, at least publicly. Regardless, it is a shame that we have not heard from either UNC or from TruBlue.

The autobelay did fail. She was still clipped in when they found her. Granted, I only know this from word of mouth, but as a climber at UNC who still climbs with many of her friends and fellow wall employees, I think that information is pretty reliable. And I say quite clearly in the letter that the device not being properly maintained is only a rumor.

Neither has been established publicly, which is sort of the point. I feel like we have a right to know. The company shouldn't ignore our concerns, and the school should do more to inform us about what's going on. The only "official" communication after it happened was a series of contradicting emails on the listserv from the guy who ran the gym, the same one who is being blamed for the accident. The first email said that one gym (the one we would later learn was the site of the accident) was closed for the day, but that the other would be open. A couple hours later, he sent an email that both gyms would be closed for the weekend. A few days later, the first "official" communication that there had been an accident came from the same guy, saying simply that there had been an accident and that both gyms would be closed for an unknown time period. There has been no communication since. All other information comes from word of mouth from former gym employees. The fact that the school is leaving us to depend on rumors to get the facts here is very disappointing. If a gymnast had gotten hurt on some piece of equipment, I think the reaction would have been very different. I seriously doubt that they would have canceled the entire gymnastics program with hardly a word, even if it was the result of equipment failure. And I think the school would have communicated better with those who used the facilities. I guess the point of this long-winded, winding rant is that neither the school nor TruBlue are handling the situation as they should be.

csproul

May 17, 2012, 4:56 PM
Post #35 of 53 (21302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chi5] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chi5 wrote:
In reply to:

The autobelay did fail. She was still clipped in when they found her. Granted, I only know this from word of mouth, but as a climber at UNC who still climbs with many of her friends and fellow wall employees, I think that information is pretty reliable. And I say quite clearly in the letter that the device not being properly maintained is only a rumor.

Neither has been established publicly, which is sort of the point. I feel like we have a right to know. The company shouldn't ignore our concerns, and the school should do more to inform us about what's going on. The only "official" communication after it happened was a series of contradicting emails on the listserv from the guy who ran the gym, the same one who is being blamed for the accident. The first email said that one gym (the one we would later learn was the site of the accident) was closed for the day, but that the other would be open. A couple hours later, he sent an email that both gyms would be closed for the weekend. A few days later, the first "official" communication that there had been an accident came from the same guy, saying simply that there had been an accident and that both gyms would be closed for an unknown time period. There has been no communication since. All other information comes from word of mouth from former gym employees. The fact that the school is leaving us to depend on rumors to get the facts here is very disappointing. If a gymnast had gotten hurt on some piece of equipment, I think the reaction would have been very different. I seriously doubt that they would have canceled the entire gymnastics program with hardly a word, even if it was the result of equipment failure. And I think the school would have communicated better with those who used the facilities. I guess the point of this long-winded, winding rant is that neither the school nor TruBlue are handling the situation as they should be.
I have also heard 2nd hand that she was still clipped in, but it is still pretty much rumor to me. The account of the injured party would be more than suspect in this case (the memory of accident victims is notoriously inaccurate). To accurately reach that conclusion would require corroborating accounts (ie from the first responders).

I agree that it is incredibly frustrating, but keep in mind that it has been less than 4 weeks since the accident. If this turns out to be a genuine autobelay failure as a result of inadequate maintenance, it is not surprising that we have heard nothing from UNC. A University isn't going to publicly announce that it might be liable for such a serious accident, especially before any litigation that might occur. If TrueBlue had information that their product could fail, then they'd have to be stupid to not make that information available (at least to other gym owners).

Regardless, closing the gyms seems a little over-the-top and having no communication with the students is also a little hard to swallow. I wish the gyms would re-open, even if the autobelays were removed.

csproul

May 22, 2012, 2:24 PM
Post #36 of 53 (21106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS, I have emailed the climbing program coordinator http://campusrec.unc.edu/contact-page to ask for an update and have received no response. It would at least be nice to know if there was a possibility of using the climbing facilities this summer. I'd encourage any other UNC climbing wall users to email or call as well and maybe we can get a response. If I still get no update, then perhaps it's time to start emailing the Director of Campus Recreation.

notapplicable

May 23, 2012, 1:06 AM
Post #37 of 53 (20998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can understand why they wouldn't want to give any details of the investigation itself but it seems odd that they are completely nonresponsive on how it's actually progressing, or when the wall might be reopened.

belaymonkey93

May 24, 2012, 9:01 PM
Post #38 of 53 (20875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I heard differently. I heard that when she was found she wasn't clipped in at all. Of course, all of these posts seem to include quite a bit of speculation and rumors, isn't it generally ill-advised to climb alone?

I'm friends with quite a few people who have worked at the wall over the years, and I'm also pretty sure that one of the rules for wall employees is not climbing during their shifts,.

I've also climbed at both of unc's walls and their equipment and facilities have ALWAYS been incredibly well maintained and, for the most part, the staff seem attentive and well trained.

ALSO
In regards to the possibility of the delay of immediate annual service (within a few months of the recommended service window) - if indeed it did fail, then I do not think that the device was properly designed or tested. Safety equipment shouldn't fail that easily.

(This post was edited by belaymonkey93 on May 24, 2012, 9:04 PM)

csproul

May 24, 2012, 9:27 PM
Post #39 of 53 (20857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [belaymonkey93] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

belaymonkey93 wrote:
Actually, I heard differently. I heard that when she was found she wasn't clipped in at all. Of course, all of these posts seem to include quite a bit of speculation and rumors, isn't it generally ill-advised to climb alone?

I'm friends with quite a few people who have worked at the wall over the years, and I'm also pretty sure that one of the rules for wall employees is not climbing during their shifts,.

I've also climbed at both of unc's walls and their equipment and facilities have ALWAYS been incredibly well maintained and, for the most part, the staff seem attentive and well trained.

ALSO
In regards to the possibility of the delay of immediate annual service (within a few months of the recommended service window) - if indeed it did fail, then I do not think that the device was properly designed or tested. Safety equipment shouldn't fail that easily.

Well, that's the critical piece of info that has not been made public. Was she clipped in or not? Either way, if it has come out that the autobelays were not serviced as they were supposed to be, that is inexcusable and could severely open UNC to liability should something go wrong with those devices.

I'd agree that a device that is a few months overdue on its inspection should still not fail. That would indeed be a poor design.

The staff attentive and well trained...sorry if I chuckle a bit when I read that. There are some talented climbers on the staff, and some are definitely attentive, but I can''t count the number of times I've seen dangerous behavior by the climbers in that gym while the staff is busy studying/climbing/slacklining (yes, that happened),

belaymonkey93

May 24, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #40 of 53 (20846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that you don't have to be a talented climber to work at the wall, but they do need to make sure that they are following all the rules set forth by the head of the climbing wall.

It sucks that not all of the students can be responsible and do their jobs properly without their boss constantly watching them.

JasonsDrivingForce

May 29, 2012, 5:38 PM
Post #41 of 53 (20604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess we may not ever know exactly what happened. Is the girl doing better now?

csproul

May 29, 2012, 5:46 PM
Post #42 of 53 (20594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
I guess we may not ever know exactly what happened. Is the girl doing better now?

http://carolinaclimbers.org/...nc-climbing-gym.html

This thread on the CCC website has an update on her condition. It sounds like she is doing better but still has some pretty extensive injuries and rehab to go through.

lhutson

Jun 4, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #43 of 53 (20356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks,

If you're like me you've been wondering when/if the UNC walls will reopen. I contacted UNC's Director of Campus Recreation the other day and he had this to say. He said I could pass it along.

"I’m very sorry for the lack of communication but I don’t have access to the climbing listserv. Unfortunately, the investigation continues and, I’m quite sure, it will not be completed before the end of the summer. You should probably make other arrangements at this time and I will look into a more definitive completion date. Any information I receive will be posted on the Campus Recreation website."

So it looks like we'll all be climbing at the community center, VE, TRC or elsewhere this summer.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jun 13, 2012, 7:30 PM
Post #44 of 53 (20089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhutson] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhutson wrote:
So it looks like we'll all be climbing at the community center, VE, TRC or elsewhere this summer.

Apart from the drive those options are not that bad.

Chi5

Jun 15, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #45 of 53 (19985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally got a response from Trublue, and it kind of changes everything in my opinion. If what they say is true, then the rumors (which I had thought to be pretty reliable since I heard first hand from her good friend and coworker) are completely wrong. Here's the reply:

Thanks for your questions – it’s always a good idea to be cautious with gear and systems in our sport.

We are awaiting word of what happened at UNC-Chapel Hill. They have given us no indication that a TruBlue was involved in the accident. UNC has referred us to this article in response to our question about whether a TruBlue was involved:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/04/student_injured_after_fall_from_climbing_wall_saturday_rock_wall_closed_indefinitely

If the accident happened on a TruBlue, we would need to see the unit to find out what happened. We have had no device failures – the unit is designed to be failsafe. I’ll go a little deeper into how the unit works, especially considering the misinformation present in the maintenance on that same thread.

The TruBlue operates on eddy current braking – when you pass a magnet across a non-ferrous metallic substance like aluminum, a current is generated in that material. This current carries a magnetic charge with it that repels the magnetic field generated by the magnet. Think of taking two magnets and trying to push north pole to north pole. This is the mechanism that provides the braking force in a TruBlue. Aluminum rotors spin into a magnetic field provided by rare earth magnets. The heavier the person falling, the more centrifugal force the rotors see, and the farther they spin into the magnetic field. This regulates the speed of descent. The unit is designed in such a way that any failure causes the rotors to spin completely into the magnetic field, so if there is a device failure, a climber will simply be lowered at a very slow rate. That said, we’ve never had a device fail.

The braking force is applied in the space between the rotors and the magnets, so there are no wear parts to grind down and limit the effectiveness of the unit.

The best way to keep yourself safe as a TruBlue user is to perform a weekly inspection before use. The webbing line is the main wear component of the unit, but is fortunately, easy to inspect. You’ll simply pull the webbing line out, check that there is a smooth, strong retraction, and visually inspect the webbing line for fraying, discoloration, hard or shiny spots – anything out of the ordinary. It’s similar to checking a rope, and we recommend that all climbers do inspect the webbing line themselves, just as they should do an inspection of a gym-provided lead rope, a friend’s rope, etc. A closer inspection should be done by the gym on a weekly basis, and that process is detailed in the attached manual. Check pages 20 and on for some good information about what to do as a user, and what to expect your gym to do.

Ask your gym if the units are being kept up to date regarding recertifications and inspections. They may have logs of these. If the units are properly inspected, and kept within the yearly recertification requirement, we have full confidence in our devices. They are extremely reliable, but there is a responsibility for gyms and users to provide due diligence in making sure the units are properly maintained, just as with any climbing device.

Thank you,
Tyler

This is an excellent response and I'm happy with it. My only complaint is that they actually mention this thread. Would they have ever responded if I hadn't badmouthed them here?

notapplicable

Jun 15, 2012, 4:23 PM
Post #46 of 53 (19960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhutson] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are the autobelays the primary or only source of belay at the gym? Can climbers belay each other?

If so, why is the gym closed at all? Just take the autobelays out of service (or not, if they weren't involved in the first place) and reopen the gym.

This all seems very strange.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Jun 15, 2012, 4:25 PM)

djlachelt

Jun 15, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #47 of 53 (19955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Are the autobelays the primary or only source of belay at the gym? Can climbers belay each other?

If so, why is the gym closed at all? Just take the autobelays out of service (or not, if they weren't involved in the first place) and reopen the gym.

This all seems very strange.

Perhaps the issue is not with a device itself, but rather with the management of the facility as a whole. If indeed some required maintenance were not done as scheduled (and clearly the word is still out on what actually happened), then that might point to some unsound practices... and a full review is in order.

Please note, I'm not saying this is the case, just pointing out that it may be more complicated than just taking some mechanical devices off-line.

shockabuku

Jun 15, 2012, 8:29 PM
Post #48 of 53 (19913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Chi5 wrote:
I finally got a response from Trublue, and it kind of changes everything in my opinion. If what they say is true, then the rumors (which I had thought to be pretty reliable since I heard first hand from her good friend and coworker) are completely wrong. Here's the reply:

Thanks for your questions – it’s always a good idea to be cautious with gear and systems in our sport.

We are awaiting word of what happened at UNC-Chapel Hill. They have given us no indication that a TruBlue was involved in the accident. UNC has referred us to this article in response to our question about whether a TruBlue was involved:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/04/student_injured_after_fall_from_climbing_wall_saturday_rock_wall_closed_indefinitely

If the accident happened on a TruBlue, we would need to see the unit to find out what happened. We have had no device failures – the unit is designed to be failsafe. I’ll go a little deeper into how the unit works, especially considering the misinformation present in the maintenance on that same thread.

The TruBlue operates on eddy current braking – when you pass a magnet across a non-ferrous metallic substance like aluminum, a current is generated in that material. This current carries a magnetic charge with it that repels the magnetic field generated by the magnet. Think of taking two magnets and trying to push north pole to north pole. This is the mechanism that provides the braking force in a TruBlue. Aluminum rotors spin into a magnetic field provided by rare earth magnets. The heavier the person falling, the more centrifugal force the rotors see, and the farther they spin into the magnetic field. This regulates the speed of descent. The unit is designed in such a way that any failure causes the rotors to spin completely into the magnetic field, so if there is a device failure, a climber will simply be lowered at a very slow rate. That said, we’ve never had a device fail.

The braking force is applied in the space between the rotors and the magnets, so there are no wear parts to grind down and limit the effectiveness of the unit.

The best way to keep yourself safe as a TruBlue user is to perform a weekly inspection before use. The webbing line is the main wear component of the unit, but is fortunately, easy to inspect. You’ll simply pull the webbing line out, check that there is a smooth, strong retraction, and visually inspect the webbing line for fraying, discoloration, hard or shiny spots – anything out of the ordinary. It’s similar to checking a rope, and we recommend that all climbers do inspect the webbing line themselves, just as they should do an inspection of a gym-provided lead rope, a friend’s rope, etc. A closer inspection should be done by the gym on a weekly basis, and that process is detailed in the attached manual. Check pages 20 and on for some good information about what to do as a user, and what to expect your gym to do.

Ask your gym if the units are being kept up to date regarding recertifications and inspections. They may have logs of these. If the units are properly inspected, and kept within the yearly recertification requirement, we have full confidence in our devices. They are extremely reliable, but there is a responsibility for gyms and users to provide due diligence in making sure the units are properly maintained, just as with any climbing device.

Thank you,
Tyler

This is an excellent response and I'm happy with it. My only complaint is that they actually mention this thread. Would they have ever responded if I hadn't badmouthed them here?

Damn, magnetic charge, those guys are going to win a Nobel prize!

Huecotanked

Jul 28, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #49 of 53 (19285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Way to go TruBLue. Those guys are the bomb. I've used their devices at many different gyms and will continue to use them w/out any hesitation or reservation.
I recently heard from a pretty reliable source that the girl injured in the accident may not have told the truth about what had actually happened. I heard when the wall closed Friday night that the auto belay biner was at the top of the wall and that when the girl was found after the accident she was not attached to the biner. Sounds a little suspect to me. Sounds like she made the story up to cover her butt. It's still pretty horrible that she got hurt, but come on. I've heard that there are only 2 possible ways the Trublue could fail - one is pilot error and the climber screws up connecting to the device and the other is the webbing fails. So even if the device was not sent back in time to be cleaned/serviced as some of you have speculated, from what I know about the ones at UNC they were only a year old and change.
I also heard from another friend that UNC has not even contacted TRUBLUE. What's up w/that? I can't imagine that all these unsubstantiated rumors about the device supposedly failing has been very good for the company. It sounds like the device wasn't even used. I think UNC needs clear this up and reveal what exactly happened. Rumors suck and it seems like a number of them started on this site. TruBlue seems to have manufactured a pretty incredible device and I'm sure we'll continue to see them at local gyms for years to come. Thanks TruBlue
In reply to:

Player

Jul 30, 2012, 1:17 AM
Post #50 of 53 (19183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Huecotanked] Any information on the UNC Chapel Hill Auto Belay accident? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Huecotanked wrote:
Way to go TruBLue. Those guys are the bomb. I've used their devices at many different gyms and will continue to use them w/out any hesitation or reservation.
I recently heard from a pretty reliable source that the girl injured in the accident may not have told the truth about what had actually happened. I heard when the wall closed Friday night that the auto belay biner was at the top of the wall and that when the girl was found after the accident she was not attached to the biner. Sounds a little suspect to me. Sounds like she made the story up to cover her butt. It's still pretty horrible that she got hurt, but come on. I've heard that there are only 2 possible ways the Trublue could fail - one is pilot error and the climber screws up connecting to the device and the other is the webbing fails. So even if the device was not sent back in time to be cleaned/serviced as some of you have speculated, from what I know about the ones at UNC they were only a year old and change.
I also heard from another friend that UNC has not even contacted TRUBLUE. What's up w/that? I can't imagine that all these unsubstantiated rumors about the device supposedly failing has been very good for the company. It sounds like the device wasn't even used. I think UNC needs clear this up and reveal what exactly happened. Rumors suck and it seems like a number of them started on this site. TruBlue seems to have manufactured a pretty incredible device and I'm sure we'll continue to see them at local gyms for years to come. Thanks TruBlue
In reply to:

Your right about one thing. Rumors do suck.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook