RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

crasic

Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Climber Fall at Lover's Leap 7/22/2012
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This past weekend a female climber took a ground fall from about 25-30 feet up on the first pitch of The Line (5.9) at lover's leap, CA . SAR services were requested and about a dozen climbers helped out with the litter carryout from the base of the climb. She was then airlifted and taken to the Hospital.

I was on a nearby climb at the time, and heard her scream, but my partner and I assumed it was someone ecstatic about pulling a crux (The leap was very crowded this past weekend and yells of satisfaction or after awesome whippers were common). When we returned to the base we were told that a climber took a fall on The Line and decked. We met up with some friends at camp and then went to go see if the SAR team needed help getting her out.

She was fully awake, but in pain. According to her partner she never lost consciousness and landed on her back. From what I heard some of her pieces pulled as she took a fall at the relatively low first crux of the climb.

If anyone has any information on the details or on her condition it would be very appreciated.

majid_sabet

Jul 26, 2012, 6:39 AM
Post #2 of 3 (3335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crasic] Climber Fall at Lover's Leap 7/22/2012 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crasic wrote:
This past weekend a female climber took a ground fall from about 25-30 feet up on the first pitch of The Line (5.9) at lover's leap, CA . SAR services were requested and about a dozen climbers helped out with the litter carryout from the base of the climb. She was then airlifted and taken to the Hospital.

I was on a nearby climb at the time, and heard her scream, but my partner and I assumed it was someone ecstatic about pulling a crux (The leap was very crowded this past weekend and yells of satisfaction or after awesome whippers were common). When we returned to the base we were told that a climber took a fall on The Line and decked. We met up with some friends at camp and then went to go see if the SAR team needed help getting her out.

She was fully awake, but in pain. According to her partner she never lost consciousness and landed on her back. From what I heard some of her pieces pulled as she took a fall at the relatively low first crux of the climb.

If anyone has any information on the details or on her condition it would be very appreciated.

how did she take a 30 footer fall?

crasic

Jul 26, 2012, 6:57 AM
Post #3 of 3 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climber Fall at Lover's Leap 7/22/2012 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first 5.9 crux on this pitch is relatively low off the ground (25-30 feet), and while there are solid placements, they are rather thin pieces. From what I understand her top placement (under the crux) popped when she fell at the crux and the previous piece was too low to stop ground fall with rope stretch. However, this is all unconfirmed as I didn't see the fall first hand.

Lover's Leap is a very popular moderate climbing area in Northern California and its quite likely the climber was at or near her leading abilities on this climb. "The Line" is also known for the line waiting for you at the bottom of the climb, so pressure from waiting parties may have also contributed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook