Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
What to look for in indoor climbing shoes.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

sysprep

Aug 3, 2012, 2:15 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2959 views)
Shortcut

What to look for in indoor climbing shoes.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been indoor gym climbing for over a year now and am considering a pair of climbing shoes. The gym I go to does rent shoes but I would like my own. I just have no idea what to look for in an indoor climbing shoe. I do mostly 5.10-5.11 if that helps and I am a guy. Any input and advice would be appreciated.

Kartessa

Aug 3, 2012, 3:43 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sysprep] What to look for in indoor climbing shoes. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sysprep wrote:
I've been indoor gym climbing for over a year now and am considering a pair of climbing shoes. The gym I go to does rent shoes but I would like my own. I just have no idea what to look for in an indoor climbing shoe. I do mostly 5.10-5.11 if that helps and I am a guy. Any input and advice would be appreciated.

This is currently being discussed in 3 other threads. Instead of writing 500 words on my iPhone again, I'll tell you to browse around the site, read some other posts and maybe try a search.

sysprep

Aug 3, 2012, 5:36 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] What to look for in indoor climbing shoes. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate the patience and courtesy of your response. I apologize for not looking further before posting and intend to find and read the threads you mentioned. As I am new I hope you can excuse my faux pas. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

J.Haze

Aug 3, 2012, 1:20 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off I find it crazy you've been climbing an entire year and still use the rentals, if they are anything like the ones at my gym then their probably trashed by the volumn of one timers in and out. Honestly anything they sell in house likely at a member discount would be the way to go for your first shoe because the staff will be able to guide you through the sizing issues of the various brands and you'll be able to try stuff on.

I would shy away from ordering anything over the internet without a significant amount of prior research so you don't have to deal with a situation of to tight or to lose shoes and then have to send em back for an exchange, but then again im impatient when it comes to online gear and shipping (always pay for the fast or rush delivery lol).

NikNak

Aug 3, 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Whats the cost to rent a pair of shoes in your gym? I've only been rock climbing.. or specifically bouldering at indoor gyms for 10 weeks but it was costing me £3 a visit to rent. I found a heavily discounted line (climbx crux) that fit me tightly but not painfully. It's guaranteed to not be the best shoe, I can't comment on that as I have no experience to benchmark it, but it will shape to my feet and won't get abused more than my own noob flailings will abuse it. And it pays for itself in 13 visits to the gym.

Nobody knows your feet like you do. In my case I bought a pair that pays for itself very quickly (so if i had got it wrong then i haven't really lost out) and will give me first hand experience to better judge putting some proper money into a second pair. That might work for you also though you are climbing at a level far superior to me, so please don't take this post as good advice, just sensible advice

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook