Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sp00ki

Apr 30, 2012, 9:58 PM
Post #26 of 30 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
As unfortunate as this is, it isn't limited to climbing. Lots of the CA surf breaks have signs littered with stickers. Here in berkeley, the no blood for oil crowd has painted 'driving' below the stop.

It sucks and has no place in the outdoors though.

As opposed to the stop signs people keep indoors?

weschrist

Aug 14, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #27 of 30 (1914 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Fact is, the crags are getting WAY more thrashed than the limited graffiti on road signs suggest. I always chuckle to myself when people (climbers) talk about how environmentally conscious climbers are. BULLSHIT!

The areas we use generally support pretty unique ecosystems: caves, cliffs, talus fields, etc. Most climbers/boulderers don't give a flying fuk if they destroy a 4x10 patch of soil crust and fragile vegetation... hell, most will even make an effort to walk directly on it because it is nice, soft, relatively flat ground.

The base of most climbing areas lose vegetation at a rate of ~ 50-100 square feet a year as climbers continue to put their coats, packs, whatever ON the bushes or simply trample through them (King Tut boulder, Minimum Wall in Maple, Ferguson Canyon UT, to name a few). But don't worry, the vegetation 100' away gets ample fertilization... as long as it doesn't burn down because someone from CO thinks it is "gross" to pack out their shit wipes.

But yeah... letting everyone else know what a bunch of self-righteous douche bags we are by vandalizing street signs is what we should really be concerned about.

Did the Buttermilks get a shitter yet? I was pretty impressed at how little graffiti there was in the shitters at Maple. Maybe sports climbers AREN'T the worst of the bunch anymore...

(This post was edited by weschrist on Aug 14, 2012, 6:43 PM)

DonH

Aug 21, 2012, 6:37 PM
Post #28 of 30 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weschrist] Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have noticed ALOT of climbs where individuals are leaving actual signatures somewhere on the boulder and date of when they sent it. why i have no clue. Ive noticed a few up in tramway. Another pet peeve of mine is the amount of trash some climbers leave at certain boulders they project all day. Being a boyscout when i was younger i cant imagine as to why one would trash the landscape. I escape the trashy areas of southern California to try and escape for a bit and low and behold, there is more.

chris

Aug 21, 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #29 of 30 (1736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rubicon] Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rubicon wrote:
I wonder how many "Buttermilk Rd" signs have been stolen and subsequently replaced by the city of Bishop. :P
None...since it's a county road. Tongue

weschrist

Aug 21, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #30 of 30 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DonH] Stupid shit "climbers" do at the Buttermilks (or anywhere) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet you can track them down on 8a.nu

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook