Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

csiebsen

Aug 15, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #26 of 51 (8146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
csiebsen wrote:
Also, as a rule I set up with 3 anchors, call me paranoid but that's how I learned to set up and am most comfortable with it. For this setup I'd add a third anchor into or around the rock somewhere.
You do realize that there are literally tens of thousands of anchors just in the US that consist of no more than two bolts, yes?

Anchor (probably the original) on top of Coonyard Pinnacle, Glacier Point Apron, Yosemite prior to replacement and used for over 40 years:

[image]http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q317/clintcummins/08811roger/IMG_3859.jpg[/image]
No, I didn't realize that, thanks for the enlightenment. Where I climb there aren't any bolts so I'll probably just stick with my three anchor theory. Thanks for the concern though.

jdensign5

Aug 15, 2012, 6:20 PM
Post #27 of 51 (8139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cpowers15] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you everyone, and again, I apologize for my lack of experience. But here is the anchor I'll be tying into:

This isn't an anchor, these are bolts

In reply to:
And here is the webbing with the carabiners (lacking one)

I would put a 180 degree twist in the bottom of that webbing (in only one of the strands) and put the 2 biners holding the rope through the twist in case something happens to one side of the webbing or bolts. That way the rope doesn't just slide off the anchor if one side gets cut or a bolt breaks or something.

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 16, 2012, 5:55 PM)

csiebsen

Aug 15, 2012, 6:56 PM
Post #28 of 51 (8129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
cpowers15 wrote:
[IMG]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae102/cpowers15/IMG_20120814_204955.jpg[/IMG]

I don't see much waste in that since the way you've got it made up it is a redundant anchor.

The overhand on a bight knots in the ends are safe to use that way (can't roll). Dress, set and leave about six inches of tail in the knot and your golden. Pad any edges if needed. They might be a little tough to untie but I've always managed to get them undone after a morning of TR soloing on them.

If your route wanders you could reduce the back and forth movement by pulling the two legs together in the direction of your climb and tying another knot just above the power point.

Also, add an overhand knot in the webbing just above the Carabiner that your rope goes through. As is you have a single point of failure if one of the anchors fails.

(This post was edited by csiebsen on Aug 15, 2012, 7:00 PM)

csiebsen

Aug 16, 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #29 of 51 (8080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csiebsen] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
cpowers15 wrote:
[IMG]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae102/cpowers15/IMG_20120814_204955.jpg[/IMG]

I don't see much waste in that since the way you've got it made up it is a redundant anchor.

The overhand on a bight knots in the ends are safe to use that way (can't roll). Dress, set and leave about six inches of tail in the knot and your golden. Pad any edges if needed. They might be a little tough to untie but I've always managed to get them undone after a morning of TR soloing on them.

If your route wanders you could reduce the back and forth movement by pulling the two legs together in the direction of your climb and tying another knot just above the power point.

Also, add an overhand knot in the webbing just above the Carabiner that your rope goes through. As is you have a single point of failure if one of the anchors fails.
After a second look I see you have the webbing in 2 separate slings so no need for the extra overhand knot. My parting suggestion is that you not rely solely on internet forums for learnng to setup a top rope. You'll be far better served to take a course or learn from someone who is experienced. I think the peace of mind of making that investment is well worth it. "Learning on the job" isn't your best option. Happy climbing!

jdensign5

Aug 16, 2012, 6:00 PM
Post #30 of 51 (8055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
Also, as a rule I set up with 3 anchors, call me paranoid but that's how I learned to set up and am most comfortable with it. For this setup I'd add a third anchor into or around the rock somewhere.

For a multipitch trad route I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't use at least 3 points of protection in the rock for a downward pull and one point of protection for an upward pull for my anchors, but when I set my anchors on 2 bolts that are bomber, that is enough. Unless I need a point of pro below me to hold an upward pull, then I'll add a 3rd point of protection.

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 17, 2012, 9:31 PM)

marc801

Aug 16, 2012, 6:35 PM
Post #31 of 51 (8043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdensign5] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

For fuck's sake will you people please learn how to quote.

I didn't write any of that crap that is quoted as me.

surfstar

Aug 16, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #32 of 51 (8042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
For a multipitch trad route I always use 3 points of protection in the rock for a downward pull and one point of protection for an upward pull

No such thing as "always" in climbing, trad anchors being one example.

dindolino32

Aug 17, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #33 of 51 (7994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cpowers15] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

please read a book first. Then climb with someone who knows what they are doing.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-Mastering-Mountaineers-Outdoor/dp/0898867436

jdensign5

Aug 17, 2012, 9:25 PM
Post #34 of 51 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfstar] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
For a multipitch trad route I always use 3 points of protection in the rock for a downward pull and one point of protection for an upward pull

"surfstar wrote:

You are right, I meant I use at least 3 points of protection in a trad anchor and one for an upward pull. Sometimes I use more, but not less.

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 19, 2012, 10:31 AM)

jdensign5

Aug 17, 2012, 9:33 PM
Post #35 of 51 (7964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

I take it by your language you are not mormon?

csproul

Aug 17, 2012, 9:38 PM
Post #36 of 51 (7956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

"surfstar wrote:

You are right, I meant I use at least 3 points of protection in a trad anchor and one for a down pull. Sometimes I use more, but not less.
try again

surfstar

Aug 17, 2012, 9:57 PM
Post #37 of 51 (7945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

"surfstar wrote:

You are right, I meant I use at least 3 points of protection in a trad anchor and one for a down pull. Sometimes I use more, but not less.
try again

but when I do, I prefer dos equis

(get it, you know, let two bolts 'x x')
Crazy

marc801

Aug 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #38 of 51 (7936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
Why would you ever think I was mormon?
Oh, must be that stereotype that everyone who lives in Utah must be LDS.

We have just under 3M people in the state. Statewide, roughly 78% self identify as Mormon, but that doesn't take into account those who are inactive (aka Jack Mormons).

About a million live in the Salt Lake Valley, which is basically Salt Lake County. The county is currently about 49% Mormon.

cpowers15

Aug 18, 2012, 2:00 PM
Post #39 of 51 (7910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csiebsen wrote:
After a second look I see you have the webbing in 2 separate slings so no need for the extra overhand knot. My parting suggestion is that you not rely solely on internet forums for learnng to setup a top rope. You'll be far better served to take a course or learn from someone who is experienced. I think the peace of mind of making that investment is well worth it. "Learning on the job" isn't your best option. Happy climbing!

For sure, and thank you. The local rock gym has a good staff we've been talking to and some of the guys that frequent it always have good advice.

jdensign5

Aug 18, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #40 of 51 (7889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

We have just under 3M people in the state. Statewide, roughly 78% self identify as Mormon, but that doesn't take into account those who are inactive (aka Jack Mormons).

About a million live in the Salt Lake Valley, which is basically Salt Lake County. The county is currently about 49% Mormon.

Yup, that gives you a 50% chance of being LDS, by your post I guess you mean you are a jack mormon. I am mormon, that is why I asked. Sorry if I offended you.

jdensign5

Aug 18, 2012, 8:31 PM
Post #41 of 51 (7886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

"surfstar wrote:

You are right, I meant I use at least 3 points of protection in a trad anchor and one for a upward pull. Sometimes I use more, but not less.
try again

No thanks, I am quite happy with the revision and stand by it.

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 19, 2012, 10:22 AM)

csproul

Aug 18, 2012, 9:14 PM
Post #42 of 51 (7874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
csproul wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

"surfstar wrote:

try again

No thanks, I am quite happy with the revision and stand by it.
Your response sounds a little odd. You specify that you place one piece for a downward pull implying that the other three are not. A more standard configuration (if there is such a thing) for a gear anchor typically uses multiple pieces (three in your example) in a downward/multi-directional pull and the one piece to protect against an upward pull.

And there are many situations when fewer than 3 pieces are more than adequate. A big tree or slung block are common situations that come to mind.

(This post was edited by csproul on Aug 18, 2012, 9:41 PM)

jdensign5

Aug 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #43 of 51 (7837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a headache from all the nitpicking around here. Everyone knows I meant UPWARD PULL, I wrote it that way the first time, then accidently wrote downward when responding to the other nitpickety guy about the word ALWAYS in my post.

Yes, there are instances when you can use less than 3 points, Like when I wrote I use 2 for bolt hangers, the same goes for natural pro as well, but in that particular conversation we were talking about placing pro (cams,nuts,etc) in the rock.

bearbreeder

Aug 19, 2012, 1:04 PM
Post #44 of 51 (7829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have a belay that takes somewhat wide gear ... youre going to haul up more large cams on a large multi for tjat extra piece?

basically you are saying that you dont trust a #3 and #4 camalot for a belay in good rock ... how about a #5 ....

marc801

Aug 19, 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #45 of 51 (7817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
I have a headache from all the nitpicking around here. Everyone knows I meant UPWARD PULL, I wrote it that way the first time, then accidently wrote downward when responding to the other nitpickety guy about the word ALWAYS in my post.
The only way people know what you're talking about is by what you write. What's more, this is the beginners forum, where it's pretty important to be precise and accurate in what is said since it's so easy for someone to misinterpret.

marc801

Aug 19, 2012, 3:56 PM
Post #46 of 51 (7813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
marc801 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Yup, that gives you a 50% chance of being LDS, by your post I guess you mean you are a jack mormon. I am mormon, that is why I asked. Sorry if I offended you.
That's ok - we won't hold your being mormon against you. And no, I'm not Jack, I just choose to live here for unparalleled access to skiing, climbing, desert, etc. Actually I'm 8th day Adventist unborn Episcopalian Protestant Orthodox FSM Jewish Atheist Agnostic Martini-ist Beerified Climber Reformed. But it's like living in a nanny state with a bunch of children that really need to harden the fuck up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

blueeyedclimber

Aug 19, 2012, 7:18 PM
Post #47 of 51 (7800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Connecting webbing to top rope anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
How did the sewn slings get through the bolt hangers in that ADT picture? I think there is something going on there that I can't see.

Dave

The whole sling is fed through the hangers. 2 of them, and then clipped at the power point.

Josh

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 6:20 PM
Post #48 of 51 (7739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
marc801 wrote:

ENIGMA!!!!

BillyCrook

Aug 31, 2012, 7:25 PM
Post #49 of 51 (7362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

Is not the one above also rotten, because it's loading one biner in three directions, and there's only a single biner holding the rope?

Every biner I've seen has said only two directions. There may be some out there to take multidirectional loading, but this looks like a vanilla standard locker.

ONE sling THREADED through two bolts is obviously just a basic (in)competency test. Like when I tie a square knot in to my belay loop at the gym to see if a new climber will catch the mistake before I let him belay me.

Rudmin

Aug 31, 2012, 7:57 PM
Post #50 of 51 (7356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
csiebsen wrote:

For a multipitch trad route I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't use at least 3 points of protection in the rock for a downward pull and one point of protection for an upward pull for my anchors, but when I set my anchors on 2 bolts that are bomber, that is enough. Unless I need a point of pro below me to hold an upward pull, then I'll add a 3rd point of protection.

Really? You would never ever ever just snug a big knotted loop over a big effing boulder and call it good? You sir are missing out on some bomber, quick, gearless anchoring opportunities.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook