RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Wade308

Aug 23, 2012, 4:51 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4897 views)
Shortcut

Does this sound reasonable?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My son (13 next month) and I took and outdoor rock climbing beginners class last weekend. We both enjoyed it and would like to do more of it, but I want to be extra safe about it.

So my plan is to take another beginners course, this one at a gym, to pound the belay, rappel and lowering into our skulls good.

Then I figured we'd climb at the gym over the next several months, maybe practicing catching falls and lowering from close to the ground.
Then from higher using a back up belayer if possible. My son is about half my weight currently, so we'd ground anchor him in until he catches up a bit, which shouldn't take long at his age.

I'd take some top rope anchor classes somewhere along the way, and practice my knots over the winter, while still climbing at the gym.

Maybe do a guided trip or 2 in the Spring, then see how we feel about getting out to some spots, hopefully with some people we've met along the way who are more experienced.

Am I on the right track? Any advice or observations or anything I may have missed?

I've read through a ton of info on the board, and several pages on the accidents forum in an attempt to scare the crap out of myself and make sure I do this right.

Thanks,
Wade

Kartessa

Aug 23, 2012, 5:36 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Does this sound reasonable? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wade308 wrote:
My son (13 next month) and I took and outdoor rock climbing beginners class last weekend. We both enjoyed it and would like to do more of it, but I want to be extra safe about it.

So my plan is to take another beginners course, this one at a gym, to pound the belay, rappel and lowering into our skulls good.

Then I figured we'd climb at the gym over the next several months, maybe practicing catching falls and lowering from close to the ground.
Then from higher using a back up belayer if possible. My son is about half my weight currently, so we'd ground anchor him in until he catches up a bit, which shouldn't take long at his age.

I'd take some top rope anchor classes somewhere along the way, and practice my knots over the winter, while still climbing at the gym.

Maybe do a guided trip or 2 in the Spring, then see how we feel about getting out to some spots, hopefully with some people we've met along the way who are more experienced.

Am I on the right track? Any advice or observations or anything I may have missed?

I've read through a ton of info on the board, and several pages on the accidents forum in an attempt to scare the crap out of myself and make sure I do this right.

Thanks,
Wade

Awesomesauce!!

If you learned how to belay outside and you understand what and why you do, you shouldnt need to take another indoor course. You won't get much rappel experience in the gym either, but there's no harm in practicing a belaying!

See if there are any other parents who climb with teenage kids, maybe you can connect with them, or look for a meetup group in your area.

If the financing allows, take your son on any courses you take so he can learn too!

Keep it up!

Gmburns2000

Aug 23, 2012, 5:38 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wade308 wrote:

Thanks,
Wade

Yup, that's a pretty good approach. Of course, there are many different ways to go about it (and you'll get lots of different ideas from people on this forum), but this is reasonable.

Lots of folks will say the gym doesn't matter, but it's a fairly cheap way to gain some basic skills / experience. There will be staff around to help you and you won't have to worry about buying gear and building anchors. Having said that, don't think that the gym is necessarily THE way to get outside. If you meet up with experienced folks and / or hire a guide, you may find the outdoor experience to be much better. Most of the climbers I know think climbing outside is better. There's no reason to stay in a gym if you have the chance to get outside.

About the only thing I'd say is that you'll be fine belaying after just a few times, especially on top rope and in a gym (so a back-up, for you at least, will not be necessary after a few burns). Your son will need more practice and instruction on how to manage you, however, and for that you should seek someone out who can help him.

Otherwise, welcome to the sport and good luck.

bearbreeder

Aug 23, 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

one thing to consider is an assited locking device if the weight difference is very high ... as long as everyone knows how to use it properly it is "safer"...

of course some RCers will scream that ATCs are the be and end all, but thats RC ... even without the weight difference there are other issues like rock fall ...

Wink

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2012, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

people react differently when it comes to fall practice and it could have a negative effect . I have seen new climbers loose interest on climbing after a fall. even when it was just a practice.

Talk to your son and make sure you guys are on the right track and have him mentally ready .

ninepointeight

Aug 23, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Does this sound reasonable? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He's talking about top rope falls.

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2012, 9:30 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Does this sound reasonable? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ninepointeight wrote:

Top rope or lead, some people just panic and you need to be careful and not to scared them off and I had personally experienced this with at least two people .

Gmburns2000

Aug 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
ninepointeight wrote:

Top rope or lead, some people just panic and you need to be careful and not to scared them off and I had personally experienced this with at least two people .

Yeah, I know people who freak out just letting go mid-climb on top-rope. They're fine at the top, but mid-climb? I can't pull it tight enough sometimes.

Wade308

Aug 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I see your point. I just figured it would be better to get it sorted out in a controlled manner sooner, rather than it be a life or death situation later.

He's a pretty tough and smart kid (like his dad Wink), but I'll make sure he's on board with it first. I just want him to know it's serious business and have a feel for it before he needs it.

Do people not typically practice catching early on? Seems like a logical thing to me, but I'm a n00b.

majid_sabet

Aug 24, 2012, 1:11 AM
Post #10 of 15 (4651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wade308 wrote:
Yeah, I see your point. I just figured it would be better to get it sorted out in a controlled manner sooner, rather than it be a life or death situation later.

He's a pretty tough and smart kid (like his dad Wink), but I'll make sure he's on board with it first. I just want him to know it's serious business and have a feel for it before he needs it.

Do people not typically practice catching early on? Seems like a logical thing to me, but I'm a n00b.

its good to practice but you also want to make sure they can take it. I remember first time my buddy dropped me 10 feet on top rope, I freaked out and wanted to kill him

I did drop him 15 to get even

gblauer

Aug 24, 2012, 2:00 AM
Post #11 of 15 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many years ago, I got 2 out of my 3 kids into climbing. We were all brand new to the sport. We frequented our local climbing gym. The kids loved it so much, they joined the climbing team. They got plenty of practice perfecting their belaying and climbing technique. I spent as much time (or more) at the gym as they did. When they went to competitions, I competed as well. Six months after we started climbing indoors, I hired a guide to take us up Devil's Tower (my youngest was 11 at the time). It was a transformational experience for all of us. We subsequently enjoyed many years of climbing together, it was a special time for us.

Fast forward to today: None of the kids climb (their interests changed during and after college). I am still climbing (every weekend and many climbing trips throughout the year).

Enjoy your time, don't rush things, it's a serious sport and you both need to master the basics. It's a great community, get involved and you will get a great "return".

Wade308

Aug 27, 2012, 6:52 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I just found a local deal for 50% off a half day guided climbing trip for 2.

Would this be a better usage of time and $$ than another intro class? Is there a lot to be learned on guided trips, or do they just pull your ass up the mountain?

I've also been reading through Freedom of the Hills and have Long's 2nd edition on anchors to help set us down the right path.

kovacs69

Aug 27, 2012, 7:00 PM
Post #13 of 15 (4449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a good plan.

If you post up here where you are...ie...Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, etc... someone would offer to take you out and show you the ropes so to speak. I do this quite often for people near me.

JB

Wade308

Aug 27, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Does this sound reasonable? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input. I'm in CO and updated my profile to reflect that.
Thanks!

smallclimber

Aug 28, 2012, 2:24 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Does this sound reasonable? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Many years ago, I got 2 out of my 3 kids into climbing.
Fast forward to today: None of the kids climb (their interests changed during and after college). ".

Your children may return to climbing later in life and be extremely grateful for having had the opportunity to learn in their younger years. My father encouraged us into a number of sports when my sister and I were kids, some of which we were not all that keen about - I mean how uncool is it to have to go and play golf with your Dad? Most of them I no longer do, but some I am very grateful for learning when I was young and have returned to and enjoyed in adult life - golf being the main example!
Enjoyment of a sport is a great gift to give a child, especially if it's something you can enjoy together.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook