RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

robx

Aug 23, 2012, 5:34 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2755 views)
Shortcut

Gunks Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used the search function and couldn't find anything recent, so I thought it might be worth my time to ask again:
Just moved to nyc, and have some gunks questions:

Is there a proper guide book that is still available for Gunks bouldering, or even a topo of the area?? I am going camping/climbing there this weekend with a handful of novice climbers, and would like to be able to take them to some spots that have easy/moderate climbing.

Also I've read a bunch on mtn project, but if anyone on here has personal favorites I'd love to get on something you guys recommend.

I know there is a fee for the area (which I am absolutely okay with), but I was wondering how the fee worked if it was a car of climbers and hikers. Are they going to be not-happy if we try to have someone not pay to climb?

We're going up this weekend, and I'm anticipating it being extremely crowded, so I'm hoping we can just ask some people up there for beta. Thought it was worth putting a post on here though.

marc801

Aug 23, 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] Gunks Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
I used the search function and couldn't find anything recent, so I thought it might be worth my time to ask again:
Just moved to nyc, and have some gunks questions:

Is there a proper guide book that is still available for Gunks bouldering, or even a topo of the area?? I am going camping/climbing there this weekend with a handful of novice climbers, and would like to be able to take them to some spots that have easy/moderate climbing.

Also I've read a bunch on mtn project, but if anyone on here has personal favorites I'd love to get on something you guys recommend.

I know there is a fee for the area (which I am absolutely okay with), but I was wondering how the fee worked if it was a car of climbers and hikers. Are they going to be not-happy if we try to have someone not pay to climb?

We're going up this weekend, and I'm anticipating it being extremely crowded, so I'm hoping we can just ask some people up there for beta. Thought it was worth putting a post on here though.
The day use fee is per person - doesn't matter how many are in the car. Yes, the Preserve will be upset if someone tries to not pay. But without the Preserve, it's more than likely by now that there would be no climbing in the Gunks.

Gravitron5000

Aug 23, 2012, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can pick up a copy of the bouldering guide in Rock and Snow in New Paltz, which you should drive right by on the way there.

http://www.rockandsnow.com/...-IN-THE-SHAWANGUNKS/

robx

Aug 23, 2012, 8:13 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gravitron5000] Gunks Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gravitron5000 wrote:
You can pick up a copy of the bouldering guide in Rock and Snow in New Paltz, which you should drive right by on the way there.

http://www.rockandsnow.com/...-IN-THE-SHAWANGUNKS/

Thank you so much! I was having a hell of a time finding it locally (tried all of the major outdoor places and the small ones, and then the book stores).

The only reason I asked about the paying, is I wasn't sure if there was a different price for day use for day climbing use, and one of our friends isn't climbing.

Other than that - anyone have any favorites we should check out? I'm going to go by the mtn project highest rated ones otherwise

ninepointeight

Aug 23, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's $5 cheaper for hikers. No they will not care that you are entering together.

The Welcome Boulder on the way from the West Trapps lot is a good place to start.

Middle Traverse (V1) on the left side of Doug's Roof is cool.

In Peter's Kill on top of the Drug Boulder is a sweet V3 roof problem.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook