RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

philipzahnd

Nov 12, 2012, 1:44 AM
Post #1 of 14 (6573 views)
Shortcut

anchor backups
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I almost exclusively use a sliding x with three points of pro as my anchor. I don't like putting a double figure eight in the end. Alpine anchors need to be quickly set up and taken down. I don't usually use a backup (one reason is because you lose a sling or two), which is breaks the rule of betting everything on one piece of equipment (the cordelette). When I do use a backup, it is usually a sliding x my two strongest pieces of pro. What is your go-to anchor backup?

billl7

Nov 12, 2012, 4:29 AM
Post #2 of 14 (6527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philipzahnd] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philipzahnd wrote:
I almost exclusively use a sliding x with three points of pro as my anchor. I don't like putting a double figure eight in the end. Alpine anchors need to be quickly set up and taken down. I don't usually use a backup (one reason is because you lose a sling or two), which is breaks the rule of betting everything on one piece of equipment (the cordelette). When I do use a backup, it is usually a sliding x my two strongest pieces of pro. What is your go-to anchor backup?

Not sure what you mean by anchor backup? For me that means an anchor that has no single point of failure. But in the middle there you talk about having a single point of failure. Can you clarify?

Bill L

jeepnphreak

Nov 12, 2012, 4:37 AM
Post #3 of 14 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean by anchor back up?
What I do is either use limiter knots, clove hitch or a figure 8. Limiter knots on a sliding X. Fig 8 for a cordelett, clove hitch to adjust the leg length of the anchor.
either way you decide to make an anchor mean that no on piece of failure (coreolett or a piece blowing) will cause total anchor failure.

USnavy

Nov 12, 2012, 6:19 AM
Post #4 of 14 (6492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally, I would not use a sliding X on a trad anchor except under specific and specialized conditions. If one piece blows, you may be looking at as much as factor one fall on a static sling on the remainder piece(s). That may be somewhat okay when talking about bolted anchors, but with trad anchors, that poses a very imminent and serious danger. For that reason, I mostly just sling each piece and tie an overhand knot in the end. That ensures that the cordlette is fully redundant and it eliminates extension. That anchor method also invalidates the need for any extra backup sling like you are referencing.

Libbster

Nov 12, 2012, 2:03 PM
Post #5 of 14 (6434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally I prefer a two, three if I can, point anchor with quickdraws and a figure eight on a bight for the master point. I wouldnt take my advice for cannon but usually if i feel like I need a backup I use tow rope that supports a few thousand pounds or steel cable that does the same. Its not climbing intended equipment but it acts as a strong backup just in case the whole anchor somehow implodes.

theextremist04

Nov 12, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (6422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Libbster] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Libbster wrote:
Personally I prefer a two, three if I can, point anchor with quickdraws and a figure eight on a bight for the master point. I wouldnt take my advice for cannon but usually if i feel like I need a backup I use tow rope that supports a few thousand pounds or steel cable that does the same. Its not climbing intended equipment but it acts as a strong backup just in case the whole anchor somehow implodes.
T0-.

csproul

Nov 12, 2012, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why would you build an anchor such that it needed a back-up? Build your anchor right and it will be redundant and have no need for a back-up.

bearbreeder

Nov 12, 2012, 6:19 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Why would you build an anchor such that it needed a back-up? Build your anchor right and it will be redundant and have no need for a back-up.

whuddah he said ^^^^

Wink

Colinhoglund

Nov 12, 2012, 6:27 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
csproul wrote:

whuddah he said ^^^^

Wink

1+ No single point failure, no extension and as much equalization as possible. If your anchor can't do that, it aint good enough,

marc801

Nov 12, 2012, 8:27 PM
Post #10 of 14 (6308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Libbster] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Libbster wrote:
...if i feel like I need a backup I use tow rope that supports a few thousand pounds or steel cable that does the same. Its not climbing intended equipment but it acts as a strong backup just in case the whole anchor somehow implodes.
You're either trolling or you do not know how to build anchors.

gunkiemike

Nov 14, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #11 of 14 (6208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An "anchor" is, by definition, backed up. In other words it is "redundant". No single component failure can take the whole thing out.

If you do it correctly, anyways.

rocknice2

Nov 14, 2012, 4:51 PM
Post #12 of 14 (6127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the OP meant that when using a sliding X, the sling itself is a single point of failure. Sounds like he backs it up with another sling. That's one way or using limiting knots on both sides of the master biner is another.

skiclimb

Nov 14, 2012, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 14 (6103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] anchor backups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My backup is experience and proper use of knowledge to ensure that catastrophic anchor failure is not an issue.

Starts with good pro (or lots of pro). good equalization in proper direction(s). proper belay position and technique.

Sliding x generally avoided but not strictly. 3 placed pieces or more .. 2 3/8s Bolts or more. Have more than a few times used a single point anchor with confidence.

As always the quality of the pro is the basis for all the rest of the anchor build.

shimanilami

Nov 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #14 of 14 (6045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm just a caveman. Your world frightens and confuses me.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook