RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

therealbovine

Jan 10, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Pre-sewn slackline rigs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are your thoughts on a pre-sewn slackline rig? Just like pre-sewn runners and pre-sewn harneses, they have advantages. I know you can tie your own, but what if you could buy one ready to go, tensioning system and all?

therealbovine

Jan 13, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Pre-sewn slackline rigs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So you read the question, but no answers, thoughts or comments?There are two companys selling slacklines. Has anyone seen these? Would you be interested in seeing and or trying one out? Any thoughts on the topic?

Slackline.com has a nice rig for sale. Great for longer lines! Double pully system with self locking cam to hold your line tight. Still have to tie a few knots, and quite a bit of gear involved, but you should check it out.

ethosclimbing.com has a few slacklines too. I beleive the lines they make are more for chillin' in the park then rigging those super long lines. A simple tightening system and adjustable pre sewn rig w/o knots, seems to be the ticket!

Can I get some feedback on these?

Partner phaedrus

Jan 15, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
So you read the question, but no answers, thoughts or comments?There are two companys selling slacklines. Has anyone seen these? Would you be interested in seeing and or trying one out? Any thoughts on the topic?

Slackline.com has a nice rig for sale. Great for longer lines! Double pully system with self locking cam to hold your line tight. Still have to tie a few knots, and quite a bit of gear involved, but you should check it out.

ethosclimbing.com has a few slacklines too. I beleive the lines they make are more for chillin' in the park then rigging those super long lines. A simple tightening system and adjustable pre sewn rig w/o knots, seems to be the ticket!

Can I get some feedback on these?
---------------------------------------------

I've checked out the site for both ethosclimbing.com and slackline.com, and as someone who's never done it before but is interested, the ethosclimbing rig looks more appealing to me for both simplicity and cost. Perhaps after I try it a few times and have recovered from the many ass-bustings I'm going to have, I'd invest in the slackline.com product, but for now, I'm most interested in the less expensive.

The ethosclimbing rig also appeals to me since I do coach a climbing team at the school where I work and slacklining would be good for balance work with the kids, but I'm going to have a hard enough time convincing the school to spring the $75 for it, let alone the $195. Again, the simplicity and seeming ease of setup for the ethosclimbing rig wins it points here as well.

Now to try and come up with the $75....

liquid

Jan 16, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been interested in slacklining for quite some time now and have gear to set up lines

what i am wondering is what is the advantage of a pre built system?

what options are there that make this more effective than say buying 50 ft of webbing and a few biners?

i would like to test these products as well but i don't see the sense in shelling out anywhere from 50 - 200 clams for a pre-constructed slack line..

thanks for the interesting post

.liquid.

therealbovine

Jan 17, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

L,

I hear your point. I too have been rigging my own lines out of webbing and biners from my climbing arsenal. Why buy a pre-made rig?

To simplify, I'll just make a list of the things I feel are better about the pre-made vs. the home-made:

No knots to untie. You know how knots in a slackline are a real pain to untie after you've bounced around on them a while.

Knots also are a weak point in the line. A sewn line is stronger.

The tension system is already there. You don't have to experiment with you or your buddies ideas of what will or won't work to get the line tight.

The pre made lines I have seen are simplified, easy to use.

Adjustable! No more un-tie and re-tie to get that line to the right length. Just adjust the line via a buckle. Simple and effective.

Flat lines. Knots cause a twist and/or a convex/concave bend in webbing. Sewn lines are flat. A flat line is so much nicer to walk.

Some rigs have everything included, biners, anchor slings, slackline, and tension system. It seems that alot of peolple want to slackline, but don't know a good way to build thier own. Pre sewn is ready to go!

This is what I know, and my opinion. Try one out. I beleive the expense is worth it in the long run!

adm4now

Jul 11, 2003, 8:04 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

mmmmm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i have an ethos rig I just cant figure out how to set the tings up!!! I think the best thing about it is that if you dont have trees in your yard then its really easy put it up and take it down.

justuspr

Jul 11, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

re [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No knots to untie. You know how knots in a slackline are a real pain to untie after you've bounced around on them a while.

I never untie the knots in my slack line. Yes, they would be a pain in the but if you had to.

Knots also are a weak point in the line. A sewn line is stronger.

Agreed, If I was highlining, I would definatly want sewn, I've never heard of one breaking though.

The tension system is already there. You don't have to experiment with you or your buddies ideas of what will or won't work to get the line tight.

Agreed, but the 3 biner system I use is very simple

The pre made lines I have seen are simplified, easy to use.

See Above[\i]

Adjustable! No more un-tie and re-tie to get that line to the right length. Just adjust the line via a buckle. Simple and effective.

That does sound nice, I have a biner in a clove hitch, witch can be loosend and moved fairly easily, but the buckle would be easier

Flat lines. Knots cause a twist and/or a convex/concave bend in webbing. Sewn lines are flat. A flat line is so much nicer to walk.

To me this is the best point made... I always have about a quater twist in my line... can't seem to get rid of it.

Some rigs have everything included, biners, anchor slings, slackline, and tension system. It seems that alot of peolple want to slackline, but don't know a good way to build thier own. Pre sewn is ready to go!

True, but $40 for biners and webbing and a link on the web is still the most affordable way to go.

Overall, I stll think that a home made one is the better value, plus you get to learn some things along the way. However if you got the money go for it.

zacrobinson

Jul 14, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but I'm going to have a hard enough time convincing the school to spring the $75 for it, let alone the $195. Again, the simplicity and seeming ease of setup for the ethosclimbing rig wins it points here as well.

Now to try and come up with the $75....

So just spend the $20-25 on 100' of webbing and the $15 on 3 oval biners and you are ready to go.

Also my line stays pretty flat. plus a quarter or half turn in a 30' line really isn't that drastic.

ZAC

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook