RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Paul801

Sep 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #1 of 9 (15992 views)
Shortcut

Best Climbing in South America
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all! My friend and myself are looking into going to South America sometime next year for a few weeks to do a MTBing/Rock Climbing trip. We would like to go during the June-August season, but December is a possibility aswell. What are some good areas to climb at (5.10-5.11b ish range)? We would love to do some multi pitching and general sport climbing. Just looking for a little direction for our planning...

potreroed

Sep 27, 2012, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 9 (15963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul801] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not really qualified to give you the advice you need but I've been following a friend's blog and he's finding great climbing and mountain biking in Peru.

http://sprinterlife.com

As far as multi-pitch sport climbing goes, you can't beat El Potrero Chico in northern Mexico.

(This post was edited by potreroed on Sep 27, 2012, 4:43 PM)

madam

Oct 10, 2012, 1:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (15777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there,

I have been only to Peru as well as the other post mentions where Hatun Machay is a must to climb if you wanna do some sport climbing. There are a few multipitch routes and plenty of bouldering as well. Probably the best information and transport arrangement can be done in Huaraz in Andean Kingdom agency. Some topo is here: http://toposperu.com/huaraz/hatun-machay/ however new routes are being made. I was there in July 2012 and the locals were working on it. Let me know if you have any questions:)

adam

awosborn

Oct 19, 2012, 9:13 PM
Post #4 of 9 (15660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suesca in Colombia is a great park with over 400 routes. I posted a trip report.

crackmeup

Oct 20, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #5 of 9 (15638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
As far as multi-pitch sport climbing goes, you can't beat El Potrero Chico in northern Mexico.

You know, this is the same as if someone had asked about climbing in Africa and you'd suggested Rodellar or Ceuse. Different continent.

Good places for sport climbing in South America:

Valle Encantado, Argentina (property owners usually let people in between March and November).
Las Chilcas, Chile.

If you want to do multi-pitch trad, then the list is infinite. I'd suggest Frey (Bariloche, Argentina) as a starting point.

Also, check out Piedra Parada / La Buitrera. The next Petzl Roc Trip will take place there next month:

http://www.petzl.com/...or/roctrip-argentina

potreroed

Oct 20, 2012, 7:05 PM
Post #6 of 9 (15615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never pass up the chance to promote the Potrero Chico. Anyone planning a trip to or from South America could easily schedule a stop in Mexico.

(This post was edited by potreroed on Oct 20, 2012, 7:25 PM)

Marc1

Nov 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #7 of 9 (15297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

only familiar with arfentin and brazil - anywhere in pategonis is good - los arenales anhour outside mendoza is epic - rio de janeiro - heaps of multi pitch in the city - on corcorvado and the cliff under christ the redeemer - cant imagine u could beat rio for venue -

Gmburns2000

Nov 18, 2012, 3:07 AM
Post #8 of 9 (15277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marc1] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marc1 wrote:
only familiar with arfentin and brazil - anywhere in pategonis is good - los arenales anhour outside mendoza is epic - rio de janeiro - heaps of multi pitch in the city - on corcorvado and the cliff under christ the redeemer - cant imagine u could beat rio for venue -

When was the last time you were in Rio?

I haven't been there, to be honest, but I've been living in southern Brasil for more than a year now. Rio is apparently beautiful, but it's also dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have a strong knowledge of Portuguese or at least some support in advance.

If you go with people who know the areas where to go, then you're probably OK, but one of the reasons I haven't gone yet is that even my own partners here (the Brasilians) wouldn't go without getting a lot of info from their friends in Rio first.

Brasil, in general, really isn't a very safe place right now.

Biabou

Oct 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #9 of 9 (13362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Best Climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rio is amazing to climb if you have climbing partners who know the area. Brazil has amazing rock climbing, with long routes and amazing rock. Salinas, about 2 hours north of Rio, has easiesh routes that go for up to 700meters, Serra dos Orgaos, also has long and beautiful routes...you could spend a life climbing in Rio and in Brazil. Get into one of the brazilian rock climbing forums and you will very likely find someone who speaks English to take you climbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook