RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lywang

Jan 24, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1905 views)
Shortcut

recovery after laparascopic surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I had laparoscopic surgery last week to remove an ovarian cyst, and I'm trying to find information about returning to climbing and bouldering. I've heard that i should be concerned about tearing out my stitches with a powerful core move, and I'd really like to go to Fontainebleau in Easter and the Alps in July. I've also heard that at 6 months, my belly button incision site is only 60% of full strength. Any fellow climbers have experience with recovery after laparoscopic surgery? Thanks in advance!

jeepnphreak

Jan 25, 2013, 6:19 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lywang] recovery after laparascopic surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My advice is. Talk to you docter and physical theripest, let the pros that have years of education tell you what they have learned to be the best. They are there for you and to help you get back to your activites.
Dont over do it, let things heal up. It may suck now, but if you injure an injured area you can really F up things for years to come and possible end your climbing.
What is better trying to climb too early and taring out your abs that make it so you cant climb. OR heal up maybe miss a trip but you will strong for the next time. Fontainebleau will be there next year and the year after that ect ect.

wonderwoman

Jan 25, 2013, 7:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Similar conversation going on in the LR:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

pdxnoob

Jan 25, 2013, 8:03 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The general advice I give my post operative patients after laparoscopic surgery is no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for two weeks after surgery. After two weeks gradually increase activity, but still no real strenuous activity. After a month, unrestricted activity. Your situation may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your surgery.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook