RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mutt_78

Apr 20, 2013, 2:22 AM
Post #1 of 16 (8451 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Bags
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are your favorite climbing bag features? im like... designing a bag i suppose, and i would like the insight of more experienced climbers to combine into the ultimate thingy. i do mostly single pitch sport climbing and bouldering, but would like to get into multi-pitch

acorneau

Apr 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #2 of 16 (8392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mutt_78] Climbing Bags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mutt_78 wrote:
What are your favorite climbing bag features? im like... designing a bag i suppose, and i would like the insight of more experienced climbers to combine into the ultimate thingy. i do mostly single pitch sport climbing and bouldering, but would like to get into multi-pitch

"Bag"?!?

Are you talking about a pack, duffle bag, haul bag, stuff sack, leader's pack, rope bag, etcetera...?

mutt_78

Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 16 (8368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Climbing Bags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I suppose a slight combination of all of those, but I'm fairly new to climbing so I'm not sure if I get what they all are

marc801

Apr 20, 2013, 4:43 PM
Post #4 of 16 (8349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mutt_78 wrote:
I suppose a slight combination of all of those, but I'm fairly new to climbing so I'm not sure if I get what they all are
So you're "designing" a climbing "bag" without knowing a thing about them. Excellent approach.
Perhaps more research on your part before you go asking questions is in order. Do your homework first.

mutt_78

Apr 20, 2013, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 16 (8344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbing Bags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy shit... Lol what the fuck do you think this is? I myself am not going to viably have the opportunity to just.. Try the plethora of packs that exist, so (lightbulb) hey ask all the people that have been doing this so much longer then me! Novel idea. I would like a bag that is suitable for multi pitch sport climbing. Adequate space for possibly two ropes and all related gear (quick draws, slings, ect)

acorneau

Apr 20, 2013, 5:14 PM
Post #6 of 16 (8335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are many, many versions of what you're looking for (a 30L-35L pack) and most people already have their favorite crag pack. Trying to make something new will put you square in the competition of an already over-saturated market segment.

The concept of a "leader's pack" is much more specialized product and there should be room for more innovation there if you care to dive in.

Haul bags are a market segment fairly well played out, so unless you have some incredible ideas there I'd stay out.

Good luck with your search.

mutt_78

Apr 20, 2013, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 16 (8332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the insight. I would prefer to not go into commercial business, more along the lines of making one for myself, and maybe a few for my friends.

Gmburns2000

Apr 20, 2013, 5:31 PM
Post #8 of 16 (8325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mutt_78 wrote:
Holy shit... Lol what the fuck do you think this is? I myself am not going to viably have the opportunity to just.. Try the plethora of packs that exist, so (lightbulb) hey ask all the people that have been doing this so much longer then me! Novel idea. I would like a bag that is suitable for multi pitch sport climbing. Adequate space for possibly two ropes and all related gear (quick draws, slings, ect)

I think what mark was trying to say is, yes, try different packs to see what works and what doesn't. Seriously, everyone has different tastes and needs. If you just ask, you're going to get a bunch of answers that don't fit.

Experimenting with what has already been designed (by people with A LOT more experience - and there's a reason why they have the experience because - LIGHTBULB! they've actually been doing this for a long time) to find potential improvements is a significantly better approach than just asking. (you can look at a million pictures of the Sistine Chapel but you'll never know what it truly looks like until you go there)

I personally prefer the Gregory Alpinisto as a climbing pack. No frills, comfortable, easy to manage. So there, now you can start making that perfect pack.

rsmillbern

Apr 20, 2013, 6:15 PM
Post #9 of 16 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing Bags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote
I personally prefer the Gregory Alpinisto as a climbing pack. No frills, comfortable, easy to manage. So there, now you can start making that perfect pack.
The Alpinisto is my all time favorite pack. I just retired mine after about 5 years and replaced it with a Deuter only because I could not find the 50L version anywhere (aside from paying way to much for import from the US).

Gmburns2000

Apr 20, 2013, 6:24 PM
Post #10 of 16 (8308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] Climbing Bags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsmillbern wrote:
In reply to:

The Alpinisto is my all time favorite pack. I just retired mine after about 5 years and replaced it with a Deuter only because I could not find the 50L version anywhere (aside from paying way to much for import from the US).

I'll be bummed if they stop making it. It's super comfy and holds a lot. I actually wanted the 55L version, but that's darn difficult to find.

bearbreeder

Apr 21, 2013, 3:06 AM
Post #11 of 16 (8249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cool dead bird logo Wink

viciado

Apr 22, 2013, 5:39 PM
Post #12 of 16 (8123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
There are many, many versions of what you're looking for (a 30L-35L pack) ...

...The concept of a "leader's pack" is much more specialized product and there should be room for more innovation there if you care to dive in.

I have a 35L bag that I have modified and it works okay for me, but would never try to market it and I would definitely give a second look at something more tailored...

What works for me on it:
Can get my gear inside and strap the rope on outside for a day out.
Small enough to carry as leader or second.
Has long external compression straps with which I can attach (up to) a set of doubles (and then make it low profile when the rack etc. is in use.
Has pouch for hydration bag which reduces chance of puncture.
Has small zippered pouch for keys and ID inside pack.
Has a flat aluminum stiffener (not really a frame) that helps put the load on the hip straps when full of gear.
Waist strap to carry the load. (see below)
Nice for single day multi-pitch or crag-bag.

What I don't like:
Waist strap is bulky and in the way when climbing... especially so when leading.
To accommodate the hip straps, the bottom of the pack flares. Fine for walking, but it does not really get the low profile I would like it to have.
Only worth using on single day multi-pitch. Anything else, it's too small.
Gear loops might help, but haven't tried them on the pack yet. Not thrilled with the idea of the thing strapped on by the hip straps (harder to escape if it gets hung up) which the gear loops would seem to require. I generally clip the ends together, but not around my waist.

Oh, and what bearbreeder said (sort of), Make sure it has an eye-catching logo! (heh)

iron106

Apr 22, 2013, 5:48 PM
Post #13 of 16 (8122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty much any $200 bag that's 30-50L that i can find for $20 new is perfect for me.

rocknice2

Apr 22, 2013, 6:24 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No such thing as 'The Ultimate Thingy'.
If it's perfect for one thing it will definitely suck at the other.

There are an enormous amount of packs out there.
My best advice is to go out and look at 35 liter packs and find one that suits your needs.
Like everything else in climbing, if it's already been invented it's just cheaper to buy one off the shelf. The cheap comes out expensive in the end.

lkeegan

Apr 22, 2013, 9:51 PM
Post #15 of 16 (8064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mutt_78 wrote:

Coming from someone who makes her own climbing gear, buy a pack. Buy a GOOD pack. Especially if you're going to be carrying 2 ropes, water, gear, etc. It gets heavy and a well fitted pack is worth the money.

If you want to make your own gear, I'd say make your own rope bag to put inside your pack, and leave your bigger pack at the base of the climb and take a rope bag with just enough room for your spare rope and lunch up the climb. So make a rope bag, with an extra pocket for lunch/water bladder, with removable straps (makes it easier to pack into your backpack) and pad the straps, put a higher "waist" strap so you can secure it around your waist without it getting in the way of your harness.

THATS what would do. And in fact thats what I DID do, I made for my boyfriend. I can send you pictures if you'd like. He loves it. I prefer my camel backpack as a day pack and my 60L Gregory Jade for carrying my gear.

yodadave

Apr 23, 2013, 9:41 PM
Post #16 of 16 (7984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my favorites are the Arc'teryx Muira 50
and the Moon Aerial 38

features I dig are a bag that will open all the way up.
no frills/ dangly bits
preferably a colored interior so i can see stuff
internal daisys for racking
must carry welll DUH!!!!

The 2 packs i listed aren't perfect but they are nice.
Grivel has some cool ideas too but the discontinued my dream pack years ago. Their leaders pack is a cool idea.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook