RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

walkerricky9

May 18, 2013, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1492 views)
Shortcut

India
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to quit my job in the next 2 months to climb in India, maybe hampi or somewhere in the Himalayers not sure yet, I want to climb for a year or so.
Anyone experienced climbing in India for a while? How did you manage with food and accomodation? Any tips or good climbing spots you can give me? I would like to camp and stay in cheap guest houses and cook my own food when I can. Please share experience :) and let me know if you are still climbing or planning to climb in India :)

madam

May 30, 2013, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkerricky9] India [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey walkerricky,

I have spent three months in India (north), 1,5 months climbing/bouldering. I have not been to Hampi so I will omit that. I have been only to the north of India starting in Manali continuing to Leh and Srinagar. One of the best places for climbing/bouldering is definitely "near" Manali.

Tips/memories:
1. I got some guide books in pdf...email/pm me if you want them
2. search for "chota dhara, chota darra, chota dara, chattru, chatru, zanskar oddyssey (video)", google it, look here on rockclimbing.com
3. when going to manali, stay in Vashist (4 kms from Manali with 3 climbing shops...)
4. when staying in Vashist visit High Himalayan adventures...I have hanged out with these guys almost all the time there (for free obviously:) They usually know who's in Chattru, chota dara and they make climbing/bouldering trips themselves...Really fantastic people who gives you advice and tea and are not focused on profits.
5. In vashist stay in Kante's guesthouse (2 years ago, 100 rupees)...basic, clean, cheap...Kante is great
6. Chattru/chota dara (6 hours by bus from Manali) - hundreds of stones (especially chotta dara). In chattru is small hamlet ("""""village"""""3 houses:) One of them is held by Lalu...local guy where usually climbers sleep. You dont have to pay for accommodation if you eat in his dhaba (tent restaurant..very simple). Cheap stuff there and Lalu is very nice and friendly.
7. In chota dara you usually sleep in caves(jaffas)
8. I got some pictures from these places here: http://nzclimb.blogspot.cz/2011/09/indie.html ...not in your language but pictures don't need translation right?:)

...do not hesitate to ask...I dont know what to write more:))

...may be...climbing in India is beautiful:)

adam

walkerricky9

May 31, 2013, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madam] India [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for the reply, information is perfect and I will be heading to manali! your pictures look amazing and you really have inspired me!!! I couldn't ask for any more information as you have have gave me so much, thanks again! if you could send me PDF that would be brilliant. ricky_4_u_5@hotmail.com my email. well all the best!!! Enjoy your climbing and keep up the destinations!!! P.s can't wait to camp in those caves :)

madam

May 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkerricky9] India [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man, those places were just incredible...the best conditions are until apprx. 15 September. This varies a year to year depending on current weather. Be prepared for extremes...we got one day 40 deg. Celsius and after 3 days it snowed half meter:) no jokes - crazy stuff:) In high himalayan adventures they rent pretty much all you need for climbing (crashpad was I think 150rupees per day). I had all my stuff with me but just in case you need to rent it. And I have found people heading there on indiamike.com which is a good place to ask questions/get advice. I will send you the pdfs once back home...if you dont get them in a week, please remind me:) adam

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook