RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Werdna237

May 19, 2013, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near the Seacoast New Hampshire area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am new to climbing. I have done some repelling in the military and very little free climbing on my own. Does anyone that knows the new England area know of any places that would be a good place to start climbing?

edge

May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Werdna237] Climbing near the Seacoast New Hampshire area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Werdna237 wrote:
Hello, I am new to climbing. I have done some repelling in the military and very little free climbing on my own. Does anyone that knows the new England area know of any places that would be a good place to start climbing?

There are some excellent crags and bouldering areas within an hours drive of the NH seacoast, but if your past experience is limited to rappelling in the military, I am assuming you should start at ground zero and get some training through either Indoor Ascent gym in Dover, Vertical Dreams in Manchester & Nashua, or MetroRock North in Newburyport, MA. There are also several climbing schools in North Conway such as IME and EMS.

(This post was edited by edge on May 19, 2013, 6:10 PM)

Werdna237

May 19, 2013, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Climbing near the Seacoast New Hampshire area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you very much. That helps a lot. I checked out metro rock in Newburyport yesterday and the guys all seemed pretty helpful. Unfortunately I got there about 20 minutes before they closed

edge

May 20, 2013, 2:04 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Werdna237] Climbing near the Seacoast New Hampshire area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe all these gyms offer opportunities for outdoors guiding and instruction, but you can also take their indoor basics classes to get started. The Dover gym has a vibrant community centered on the students from UNH, I can't really speak much about the scene at the other gyms. I have only been to MetroRock North once and found the routes to be very short and rated very soft (rated harder than they actually are), but at this points grades shouldn't matter to you as you try to meet people and focus on technique. Once you meet some partners and gain some basic skills you can ask the gym staff about the local outdoor areas, most of which are well documented in various guidebooks and on MountainProject.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook