RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bmoney

Jun 19, 2013, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 20 (8293 views)
Shortcut

New idea for removing the smell from shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I work for a company that produces ozone generators and in my spare time I am working on developing a product that will remove the smell from our rock climbing shoes by pumping ozone into a box, the ozone then attaches itself to all of the smelly odors which are then exhausted out of the box leaving your shoes odor free. The only problem is that thus far its looking like it will resale for about 60$. I am wondering if anyone here would be willing to pay that kind of money for such a contraption. The longer the shoes are left in the box the less they smell but I am having results after about an hour. This is a much safer alternative that throwing them in the wash machine and its all done without water so there will be no harm to the leather or rubber.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

SE_climber

Jun 19, 2013, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 20 (8285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmoney] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would probably be disincline to buy one for myself as it's a really specialized thing. But I think it's something that resolers might be interested in having.

csproul

Jun 19, 2013, 9:43 PM
Post #3 of 20 (8274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:
I work for a company that produces ozone generators and in my spare time I am working on developing a product that will remove the smell from our rock climbing shoes by pumping ozone into a box, the ozone then attaches itself to all of the smelly odors which are then exhausted out of the box leaving your shoes odor free. The only problem is that thus far its looking like it will resale for about 60$. I am wondering if anyone here would be willing to pay that kind of money for such a contraption. The longer the shoes are left in the box the less they smell but I am having results after about an hour. This is a much safer alternative that throwing them in the wash machine and its all done without water so there will be no harm to the leather or rubber.

Thanks
I have a hard time believing that this is true. Ozone is extremely toxic and reactive and a powerful oxidant. How could this could possibly be safer and not react with leather or rubber? I have no doubt it kills bacteria!

marc801

Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 PM
Post #4 of 20 (8268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:

Thanks
$60 will buy me a decent quantity of Desenex anti-microbial/fungal foot powder. Between that and letting my shoes dry out thoroughly outside of my pack, I've never had a problem with funky shoe smell.

bmoney

Jun 19, 2013, 9:59 PM
Post #5 of 20 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ozone is VERY safe. Some of the applications that we build our products for are: hospital air purification, many of the top bottle water manufacturers treat their water with ozone, cleaning water for wine making, home air purifiers, etc....

"Ozone Therapy is Safest Known Therapy

Ozone has been found to be an extremely safe medical therapy, free from side effects. In a 1980 study done by the German Medical Society for Ozone Therapy, 644 therapists were polled regarding their 384,775 patients, comprising a total of 5,579,238 ozone treatments administered. There were only 40 cases of side effects noted out of this number which represents the incredibly low rate of .000007%, and only four fatalities. Ozone has thus proven to be the safest medical therapy ever devised. "

source http://curezone.com/...sp?a=92,634&q=76
edit: obviously we do not concentrate the ozone to a level where it can be toxic

(This post was edited by bmoney on Jun 19, 2013, 10:09 PM)

csproul

Jun 19, 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #6 of 20 (8245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:
Ozone is VERY safe. Some of the applications that we build our products for are: hospital air purification, many of the top bottle water manufacturers treat their water with ozone, cleaning water for wine making, home air purifiers, etc....

Ozone has been found to be an extremely safe medical therapy, free from side effects. In a 1980 study done by the German Medical Society for Ozone Therapy, 644 therapists were polled regarding their 384,775 patients, comprising a total of 5,579,238 ozone treatments administered. There were only 40 cases of side effects noted out of this number which represents the incredibly low rate of .000007%, and only four fatalities. Ozone has thus proven to be the safest medical therapy ever devised. "

Not claiming to be an expert, but the US-EPA says different (taken directly from the US-EPA website):

"Breathing air containing ozone can reduce lung function and increase respiratory symptoms, thereby aggravating asthma or other respiratory conditions. Ozone exposure also has been associated with increased susceptibility to respiratory infections, medication use by asthmatics, doctor visits, and emergency department visits and hospital admissions for individuals with respiratory disease. Ozone exposure may contribute to premature death, especially in people with heart and lung disease."

http://www.epa.gov/...ollution/health.html

The poison is in the dose. Even water is toxic in enough quantity. What concentrations does your device produce, and what is the chance that any of the ozone produced ends up outside the device and in the air that we breath? How do you know that the concentrations produced have not affect on shoe rubber or leather?

Basically sounds like an elaborate, expensive solution to a not-so-big problem to me. Your link also looks pretty much like propaganda to me. Even if ozone is a valid medical therapy, which it might be, we are not talking about a treatment whose benefit outweighs the risks...we're talking about making shoes smell better.

bmoney

Jun 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Post #7 of 20 (8231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I showed that article to one of the sales people and he replied with
"The amount of ozone produced by this unit is so miniscule that its completely safe to have one sitting in your living room with you all day everyday."

I just do the engineering here so I am no expert on the effects and whatnot, I just know they sell a ton of them as air purifiers so I repurposed it as a shoe odor remover because all I can think about at work is rock climbing and this was one way to combine them.

Its kind of a big problem for me, I live in a small apartment so they can easily smell up my apartment in no time flat. I also think its kind of expensive that's why I'm putting out some feelers here before I just make one for me and leave the idea at the wayside

(This post was edited by bmoney on Jun 19, 2013, 10:50 PM)

brinosaur

Jun 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #8 of 20 (8209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The gym I used to work for tried out an ozone air purifier for reducing shoe odor. It did not make any discernible improvements to funk in the vicinity of the shoe racks, let alone in the shoes themselves. This was even running at full tilt.

Regarding toxicity or other negative effects, the ozone's own odor was very noticeable and employees did complain about mild nasal irritation. We retired the unit after one season of use due to lack of effectiveness and high energy costs.

I hate to come down as really negative here, but the general consensus (both peer-reviewed and anecdotal) is that ozone air purifiers are both ineffective for most general applications and potentially harmful.

(This post was edited by brinosaur on Jun 19, 2013, 11:26 PM)

bmoney

Jun 19, 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #9 of 20 (8204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brinosaur wrote:
The gym I used to work for tried out an ozone air purifier for reducing shoe odor. It did not make any discernible improvements to funk in the vicinity of the shoe racks, let alone in the shoes themselves. This was even running at full tilt.

Regarding toxicity or other negative effects, the ozone's own odor was very noticeable and employees did complain about mild nasal irritation. We retired the unit after one season of use due to lack of effectiveness and high energy costs.

thanks for the feedback!!

I would like to think that my company builds a superior ozone unit, but only the testing that I am currently doing will tell.

brinosaur

Jun 19, 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #10 of 20 (8197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:
brinosaur wrote:

thanks for the feedback!!

I would like to think that my company builds a superior ozone unit, but only the testing that I am currently doing will tell.

I'd be curious to see how it would work, if at all, in a concentrated application. Ozone has very little effectiveness in anti-bacterial/fungal/viral/microbial applications, except at levels that are deemed unhealthy. Furthermore, high concentrations can deteriorate rubber and plastics.

From a functional and health standpoint, UV and good ventilation would probably be more effective for getting rid of odor producing bacteria, but who knows what it will do to the shoe rubber, leather, synthetics, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of Brookstone/Sharper Image type gadgets that are marketed for this purpose that make equally dubious claims as the ozone air 'purifier' crowd.

I say just wash 'em once in a while.

(This post was edited by brinosaur on Jun 19, 2013, 11:46 PM)

brinosaur

Jun 20, 2013, 12:02 AM
Post #11 of 20 (8185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:

edit: obviously we do not concentrate the ozone to a level where it can be toxic

Whoops, I didn't see this bit earlier. A 'Society for Ozone Therapy' is hardly an objective source for an unbiased study.
Combined with the actual physical harm ozone can cause and overall ineffectiveness for air purification (hell, ozone itself is an air pollutant), I'd call your company's product and others like it an outright scam. I apologize for any offense if your original post was earnest, but any ozone-emitting device that claims to clean air is a bunch of nonsense/bollocks.

gunkiemike

Jun 20, 2013, 2:06 AM
Post #12 of 20 (8154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ozone in ambient air exhibits adverse physiological effects in humans at levels as low as 0.0000008 percent. It damages rubber at these levels but I suspect long-term exposure is needed.

Several years ago, air purifiers became quite popular. A well-known Consumer group examined these and IIRC concluded that the "ion generator" types were mostly ineffective but offered some benefit in principle. The "ozone generator" type was deemed unsafe.

I am reminded of a quote - unfortunately I'm not very good with quotes so I can't repeat it verbatim - that says it's hard for someone to see the facts in a situation when their livelihood depends on them disregarding those facts. This was offered in connection with G.W. Bush and his tie$ to Big Oil and their interpretation of global temperature data, but maybe it fits the OP here as well.

gunkiemike

Jun 20, 2013, 2:08 AM
Post #13 of 20 (8153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:

Chlorine gas is also used for water purification. You wanna breath THAT?

lena_chita

Jun 20, 2013, 2:13 AM
Post #14 of 20 (8151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:

Thanks

No, I wouldn't buy one. Assuming it works, which is yet to be proven, it would not make sense for an individual climber. But maybe large-scale facilities such as gyms, resolers, guiding outfits, etc., might be interested.

I have a much cheaper solution that so far appears to be working amazingly well and doesn't require you to lug an ozone-generating box with you on trips: drypointe shoe inserts.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DryPointe

I have been thinking of getting these shoe inserts for a while, but never got around to it, until this spring, when I got a new pair of shoes and had an opportunity to get a pair of these inserts the same weekend.
I think they would not work too well on the shoes that are ALREADY smelly, but I got a pair of those balls when I got a new pair of shoes, and after a few weeks of climbing there is no smell to the shoes at all (normally by this time they would be getting noticeably ripe)

marlene

Jun 20, 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #15 of 20 (8068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use DryPointe shoe inserts too. They dry up the sweat, they are inexpensive and my shoes that usually stink don't. No nasty chemicals to hurt your shoes or your feet. Also, the company is climber-owned and she donates money to the Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition and Friends of Muir Valley with every set of DryPointes sold.

dynosore

Jun 20, 2013, 3:39 PM
Post #16 of 20 (8017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:

Thanks

As a polymer chemist, one of the tests I've regularly done over the years is ozone resistance of plastics and rubbers. Ozone is a free radical and is very detrimental to polymers. I suspect that using this device regularly would lead to quick embrittlement of the shoe rubber.

csiebsen

Jun 20, 2013, 8:50 PM
Post #17 of 20 (7946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] New idea for removing the smell from shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My familiy is pretty religous about powering up the inside of our shoes after every climb with any Dr Scholes type powder and none of the shoes have any smell. The back closet has 10 pairs of climbing shoes but you can't smell a thing.

shockabuku

Jun 21, 2013, 3:41 AM
Post #18 of 20 (7900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have nothing useful to contribute.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jun 21, 2013, 3:41 AM)

Syd

Jun 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #19 of 20 (7873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bmoney wrote:
Ozone is VERY safe.

It is not safe. It is highly toxic. I looked at swimming pool ozonators in great detail years back. At the concentration needed to kill bacteria, it was also harmful to people.

shimanilami

Jun 21, 2013, 7:28 PM
Post #20 of 20 (7816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to break it to you, but you're coming to the party a little late on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/...shoe+deo%2Caps%2C433

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook