RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Jul 17, 2013, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6607 views)
Shortcut

Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A rock climber was critically injured Tuesday when she fell 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The climber, 25, was rappelling down a rock face on Storm Mountain near the mouth of the canyon when she lost her footing due to heavy rain

http://www.sltrib.com/...-cottonwood.html.csp

lena_chita

Jul 17, 2013, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
A rock climber was critically injured Tuesday when she fell 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The climber, 25, was rappelling down a rock face on Storm Mountain near the mouth of the canyon when she lost her footing due to heavy rain

http://www.sltrib.com/...-cottonwood.html.csp

Sigh, another example of a "great" accident report. Since when does "losing footing" have anything to do with rappelling safely? And why is this a rock climber accident?

I hope the young woman recovers fully and as quickly as possible.

marc801

Jul 17, 2013, 7:04 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In the 13 years I've lived in the Salt Lake metro area, not a one of the TV stations or newspapers are yet able to accurately report a climbing accident. This, unfortunately, despite ample opportunity for practice each season.

sween345

Jul 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T4FT2SHFLo

ecade

Jul 18, 2013, 3:05 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PRUSSIKS SAVE LIVES

(other Autoblock hitches do too)

Rapelling is to give yourself over to the rope, accordingly, your footing should be irrelvant to your safety.

If your footing is crucial to your safety while rapelling... what do you do while rapelling a roof or steep cave?

A speedy and full recovery and lets use our prussiks people, its 10 seconds...

bearbreeder

Jul 18, 2013, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

keeping both hands below the ATC saves lives ...

i see people all the time with one hand above the ATC which is totally useless .... both hands below keeps control even if you let go with one

if yr going over the edge ... you can simply tie a slip knot a few feet down ...

prussics work fine ... the problem is that i see beginners use em all the time, and as a consequence they dont know how to rappel smoothly and with confidence .... theyre jerking all over the place bumping down every few feet ..

i show people how to rap first WITHOUT a prussic ... so they can develop smooth rapping skills, and that they are VERY AWARE of keeping both hands under the device ... then show em with a prussic

god forbid one forgets the prussic then has to rap ... and even stop in mid rap, if you never learned the leg wrap

Wink

lkeegan

Jul 18, 2013, 8:49 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sween345] Rock climber falls about 50 feet in Big Cottonwood Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sween345 wrote:
Maybe something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T4FT2SHFLo

Another thing to point out (going a little off topic) is to make sure your prussic doesn't get sucked into your ATC, either by shortening your prussic cord or by extending your ATC. If your Prussic does get sucked in (I'm not sure if thats the best way to describe it) it wont lock and thus not too useful, even if tied right.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook