RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

KiwiGrit

Aug 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Kiwi to camp 4
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

Heading to Yosemite this September and we fly in to San Fran midday, so expect to arrive at the Valley in the evening. We intend to stay at Camp 4, but I guess we will not get a place on our late arrival. I understand that the trick is to queue very early in the morning to try and get a site. Where would be the best place to sleep before rising early to get to the check in? The Pines sites are booked out.

Thanks for your help.

John

wonderwoman

Aug 8, 2013, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KiwiGrit] Kiwi to camp 4 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just put my sleeping bag beside the check-in office and slept on the ground. We were not alone, either.

Partner cracklover

Aug 8, 2013, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Kiwi to camp 4 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I just put my sleeping bag beside the check-in office and slept on the ground. We were not alone, either.

This is a crap shoot. It may work, it may not. In particular, if you try this at a reasonable hour in the evening you may get shooed away and have no-where else to stay.

My recommendation: Just before you enter YV you'll be in Stanislaus National Forest. The camping regulations there merely state that you must be > 100 feet from water. The most convenient place to crash would be at a place called Hardin Flat Road. There you'll find some campsites, and also just big turnouts where you can sleep behind your car.

From there, it's about 45 mins to drive to Camp 4.

GO

distantThunder

Aug 8, 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KiwiGrit] Kiwi to camp 4 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kiwi

the Valley is a police state - always has been. there is no mercy on climbers without a home. chances of just walking into Camp 4 are slim, although maybe possible when there are a lot of departures (Sun nights).

the recommendation to camp outside the national park perimeter is probably a good one - if you are arriving in the evening or late afternoon. if you are running late on time, do that and save youself some grief.

have fun in the Valley and good luck!
i grew up in your homeland.

dT

(This post was edited by distantThunder on Aug 8, 2013, 11:09 PM)

KiwiGrit

Aug 9, 2013, 6:14 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [distantThunder] Kiwi to camp 4 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your words of experience. NZ has far less pressure on its special places, so you can just rock to the Darrans or Mount Cook and get a site whenever you want!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook